Pirate 4x4 banner

Another chevy build

410K views 1K replies 205 participants last post by  cda 
#1 · (Edited)
This is gonna start off more of an evolution thread being my truck is about done. A little back ground on how it got to where it is now.

this is about what it looked like when I got it a few years back.

fastforward thru a couple transformations and tire sizes.

always changing

the best it looked when still street legal, didnt have a digital camera back then so pics were few.

I skipped posting a lot of the mods I did to this point because they were all the normal chevy things, big bumpers, rock sliders, body lifts and normal junk like that. At this point the truck was still 1/2 ton 4" lift, 3" body lift. 38" tires.

The turning point that got me in the direction I am at now would be the tube bed. I got tired of smashing in the fender sides so I built this. It was actually 1 1/4" schedule 40 poop pipe, but worked great. Low budget was the only way I could afford to wheel.

I ran around with that bed all the way up till this year. At this point it was still a daily driver I used to get to work. Shortly after I also built an inside cage out of the same poop pipe. No pics of of that, I will have to dig thru old piles of photos.

I pulled the rock sliders for more ground clearance and before I knew about boat siding a cab I just cut the rockers off and welded some square tubing at the door opening, also cut the rusted corners out and reinforced the corners. These work good, actually still running the cab like that, simple but effective.

Never being able to leave anything alone I decide to tube the front end with the intent of leaving it street legal, I didnt own a tow rig or trailer so I didnt have any choice. So out of more poop pipe I run the cage thru the front firewall and built a pipe core support. That only lasted until I went to put sheet metal on, cause the first thing I did was narrow the front end. So a tow rig was now in order. Anyway fast forward again thru some more boring tech this is where I was at.

some beadlocks and the best upgrade I had done, a Dana 60 14bolt combo.

more to come.

See less See more
#153 ·
Quick update, before anyone runs out and buys the same headers there are a few clearance issues I found. The biggest issue the drivers side collector flange goes right under the oil filter. It doesnt touch but keeps you from pulling the filter. I went to the parts store and found a short filter that will clear and be changable without problems. Not exactly sure on the make it was for, I think it was a chevy/geo prism or toyota corolla. I will look the part number up and post it. It has the same thread and filter diameter but stubbier. I only run it a few runs between oil changes so filtration shouldnt be a problem.

#164 · (Edited)
when do you find out if you make TTC??

My propane dont start unless I prime it everytime, I dont have any leaks that I can find, I just figure the motor doesnt pull enough vaccum turning over with the starter. I hit the prime/chike swithc for a frew seconds and it fires up and runs fine all the way up to 5300rpm where the valves float like drunken sailors who have fallen overboard.

#166 ·
I'm running a electric primer that turns on when the starter is fired, then turns off right away. Might turn over twice before she fires. Something to look into anyway. For you too TJSJR. Call Eric at Carb and Turbo Systems. 952-445-3910.

#168 ·
getting the front end buttoned up. If all goes well I will have it out this next weekend for a run.

Spent way too much time on the hood and it came out loking like crap so no write up on how I made it. Its pretty F'd up.

Still chacing a water leak on the thermostat housing. I'll try fixing it again tomorrow.

#170 ·
Thats the one.

Still have a bit to do to have it ready. It wont be 100% but it will complete enough to give me a chance to dial in the propane and steering mods(now that I think about it I havent had this motor out yet either). I'll finish hacking the hood and snorkle on this week. Just not enough time left to have it all done by Saturday.

I still need new 52" springs, rear bump stops that wont get done before then. I still have an issue in the right conditions that I can pull my front shaft apart. The new springs will help that a bit. The current springs are S shaped.

#171 ·
are you running a 425 mixer??
i am running the 450 from gotpropane and i also have to prime mine each time before starting it . i just press the botton a few times and it hits right off. after the first time i start it for a day it is good to go.

after you try your setup out , let us know what you think as far as power and whatnot.

Ryan

#176 ·
No fun updates to report. I took it out last week to a local mud type event and about 10minutes into it I ran their frame twister and heard a snap. Not sure what it was I took off to the back corner of the free play area and tried to turn and the front right corner dipped down. I got out and I and snapped both studs on the right spring pad. So my day was done.

Good news is I finished removing the last stud this am. I had about 4 hours into the removal of both studs. They simply wouldnt back out. I had to torch them out.

As for the filter.....The parts guy was alot of help getting the filter but he got me the wrong one. He looked up the supposed correct filter and we matched up a short one for it. I even bought 2 filters so I'd have a spare. Problem is the filter he grabbed first to match was wrong:shaking:

So I will be going back and getting the correct short ones. I was thinking of going remote filter as well. I was suprized how well they fit on my rig. I did trim the top frame rail slightly and thought I wouldnt be able to use the shift linkage but it worked out good. Other than the filter. I will post up when I get the correct stubby filter. Sorry if it caused ya issues.

Since I didnt get voted into TTC I have slowed down working on it a bit and am preparing it for our Rubicon trip in June.

#179 ·
The studs are the ones that were in it when I got the axles a few years ago. not sure if they are original or not. Looking at the break they were cracked all the way around before they broke. I dont run shims so must have just been the big tires and being rough on it I guess. The biggest thing may be the fact I had the springs soft enough I could flex pretty far and get neg arc also. Might have been too much. Jumping and hitting the "frame twister" section hard didnt help either.

I am putting new studs in it and posably gonna try to run a second u-bolt. I will post pics of what I come up with. I already started making a spring plate for the double u bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.