Pirate 4x4 banner

Mini Starter Problem

840 views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  rufio 
#1 ·
86 chevy 350 mated to an sm 420 via an old cast iron belhousing.

using a chevy mini starter (don't shoot me, got it off ebay)

first one i got from them did the same thing, this is the 2nd one.

when i turn the key, all the starter gear does is spin really fast in place. it doesn't come out to engage the flywheel. did i hook this up incorrectly or is this company and their mini-starter a bunch S$%^.

i'm about to take a piss on this starter and drink some pre-St. Patty's Day Guiness. oh wait, might do that anyways!

thanks a bunch (anyone who helps)
brandon

and if ur suggesting to buy another starter...ok that's fine, but none of the reg starters worked, one did for a while, but it wasn't fully engaging the flywheel's ring gear, so it was beggining to chunk and make aweful sounds.

#8 ·
Just as I suspected :laughing:

If its one of the small starters that people use with headers I dont see why its size would matter when the issue appears to be that the gear on the drive isnt engaging.

#9 ·
#18 ·
actually i'm running an aftermarket holley 2 bbl. all i had to replace was the accelorator pump diaphram and she's ready to go. it's been sitting for a while so the gas ate up the old diaphram. now, if i could only get this starter aligned correctly so it's not eating up the ring gear...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.