headers out the hood? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 110795
headers out the hood?

which headers would you go with and why, zoomies or the truck pull headers?

im askin cuz right now i just have open manifolds on my truck, its a 85 chevy long box and strickly for mud, had ideas of semi truck stacks behind the cab but would be easier to just take em out the hood, its a stock 454 and i figured by goin thru the hood would keep heat off the starter,

whats the pros and cons on zoomies, prolly have them stick out the hood bout 6 to 8 inches.

i have a set of headers already and top stacks off semi that are 5 inch if i could make my own what size pipe would you go with on the stock motor, im new to the bbc always been a sbc person but i ponied up and am loving it so far. the headers are cut up at the collectors so i could use them for the flanges.
93_bigbadxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 343
Simple and cheap....just swap sides the headers you have now and connect collector tube to headers and run straight up. Instant Zoomies. Minor tube bending may be required for your particular chassis.

Last edited by cj8scrambld; 09-15-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Spelling.
cj8scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 106427
http://www.decheaders.com/shop/index...th=64_66_79_98

follow link. I have a set of these for my small block.

later
jenks
jenks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy_old_fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj8scrambld View Post
Simple and cheap....just swap sides the headers you have now and connect collector tube to headers and run straight up. Instant Zoomies. Minor tube bending may be required for your particular chassis.
cant do that on a 454. the bolts wont line up.

I would suggest getting a set of headers that fit the truck. putting zoomies on a stock big block is kind of a waste, because you dont have enough capability to utilize the short primary length, and you will lose torque and hp due to the loss of cylinder scavenging from a 4 into 1 header.

run a long tube header with 1.75 diameter primaries, at least. They do exist, they do fit the truck, you just have to find and install them. zoomies through the hood on a mud truck makes you look like a complete moron.

oh, forgot to mention, if youre running headers through the hood, you may have to move the master cylinder and power booster to make em fit...

Last edited by Grumpy_old_fart; 09-15-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Grumpy_old_fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 110795
thanks guys thats what i was lookin for, i did research on the zoomies and they sound like crap, my dad has a set of schoenfelds on his 72 and i like the way they sound better but what i would really like is fenderwell headers, guess you have to have them custom made cuz i just cant find em anywhere. any input on them i have a 3 inch body lift pass side looks easy driver has to go around the steering, im moving the gas tank to the bed, already moved the radiator there. Is there a weld up kit somewhere to make your own fenderwell headers. i see them on big big trucks all the time.
93_bigbadxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 99234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_bigbadxj View Post
thanks guys thats what i was lookin for, i did research on the zoomies and they sound like crap, my dad has a set of schoenfelds on his 72 and i like the way they sound better but what i would really like is fenderwell headers, guess you have to have them custom made cuz i just cant find em anywhere. any input on them i have a 3 inch body lift pass side looks easy driver has to go around the steering, im moving the gas tank to the bed, already moved the radiator there. Is there a weld up kit somewhere to make your own fenderwell headers. i see them on big big trucks all the time.
Just get the do it yourself header kit, take your time and cut and fit where you like the fitment and try to make them the same length. Its not hard just takes time and thinking.
Swampperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 106427
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_bigbadxj View Post
Stahl Headers

They make a kit that is for the 72 but will work with the 73-87 with a 3" body or you will have to add a u-joint to the steering. Their weld up kit is like $350 plus or minus, and you better have some jingle if you want them to make them for you.

here you go: http://www.stahlheaders.com/Frame%20New%20TT.htm

later
jenks
jenks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 20147
i used off the shelf headers for mine, but since the application was a 55-57 chevy car, the headers are too close to the tires unless you move the motor back about a foot, which means you may as well move the cab back too... or you move the axle forward.

fenderwell exit headers might not be the greatest idea. to find out for yourself, arm yourself with a tape measure, go out, turn the tires to full lock, and start measuring distance between frame and tire, firewall and tire, and see exactly how much (or little) room you do have to put an outboard header tube, with the suspension collapsed or twisted. you might at that time decide to go with the headers that fit.

sure you can make your own....
Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 87457
One of my buddies just took a set of block hugger headers and turned them upside down and they come up at an angle.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21146
the bolt pattern is not the same on a bigblock like it is on a small block, i dont think they will line up.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 87457
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmontzj View Post
the bolt pattern is not the same on a bigblock like it is on a small block, i dont think they will line up.

Well the guy with the jeep has a big block and they worked. I don't think he had to do anything to them.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead 1990 View Post
Well the guy with the jeep has a big block and they worked. I don't think he had to do anything to them.
well, it doesnt line up.

trust me.