6.0 starting problems - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 76609
Location: Pilot Hill, CA now Woodland, CA; 1 hour further from the con :(
6.0 starting problems

I got an 02 silverado 2500hd with the 6.0 and am having some starting issues. The motor will turn over and not start the first or second try and then start VERY weakly on the second or third try, usually the third try. It is my wifes truck and as far as I know she has kept up on the fuel filter and such. Should I be able to here the fuel pump turn on when the key is turned on? I know I can on my older 350, but wasn't sure with the newer trucks if they made them quieter. thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vortec Scout II

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothillcrawler View Post
I got an 02 silverado 2500hd with the 6.0 and am having some starting issues. The motor will turn over and not start the first or second try and then start VERY weakly on the second or third try, usually the third try. It is my wifes truck and as far as I know she has kept up on the fuel filter and such. Should I be able to here the fuel pump turn on when the key is turned on? I know I can on my older 350, but wasn't sure with the newer trucks if they made them quieter. thanks
You should be able to hear it but you might not hear it. Change the fuel filter if unsure then check the fuel pressure you pump my be on hte way out!

GM Gen III/IV V8 swap info

TECH: Gen III/IV "LS motor" to Early GM Auto Trans
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 05:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 113119
Send a message via AIM to USMCNetzel21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
You should be able to hear it but you might not hear it. Change the fuel filter if unsure then check the fuel pressure you pump my be on hte way out!
X2 on that, sometimes helps also to have two people when doing that as well. Just have your wife turn the key and you listen by the pump to listen if its running.
USMCNetzel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 76609
thanks will double check on the filter and listen better for the pump.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 73413
chevy's have a problem with the fuel pump check valve. The system is designed to hold pressure in the line when it is shut off. So when you start the vehicle there will be pressure in the lines already, and therefore start quickly. The check valves go bad all the time, therefore the lines will be empty, or close to empty. So when you go to start the truck you have to fill the fuel lines up to the fuel rail before it will even try to start. Giving you the extended crank. Unfortunately the check valve is not serviced separately and you must purchase the whole fuel pump module to correct the problem. One way to diagnose this is to turn the key from off to on a few times before attempting to crank the engine. This will prime the system, filling the empty fuel lines. Then if it fires right off, you know that is the issue. Of course you can also connect a fuel pressure gauge to the vehicle, and let it sit for a while and see if it maintains pressure. I have seen quite a few that drop off almost immediately.
Bansheestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 76609
yep that sounds like my problem, I had to drive the truck today, and I tried turning the key on and off a few times before starting it and it would fire up when I gave it the first full turn of the key, so to fix this I need to replace the fuel filter, and that will fix the check valve problem.