Mounting shocks to a cross member - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 94383
Mounting shocks to a cross member

I need to move my shocks on my 4x4. The wheel base has been shortened and there is now a uchannel bent type cross member that the shock fits perfectly in. The bottom of the 5125 would then me mounted to a bracket on top of the axle. They would then be angled and a lot like http://diy4x.com/images/Rear%20upper%20shkmnt.jpg from diy4x, but my mounts would be on top of the axle instead of on the back as it would create a weird angle angle and wouldn't be properly vert. I have a photo but getting it off my phone is a PIA so if anyone knows what I'm talking about that'd be awesome.

As opposed to welding on the axle housing I might be able to find a pip clamp instead. Not quite as strong but if something brakes I'd prefer it be a 4 dolar clamp and not my housing.

Oh also there is a huge home made cross member in the rear after this.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by mrarmyant; 09-25-2008 at 06:35 PM.
mrarmyant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 51243
Dude....

Weld the shocks tabs onto the axle. Pipe clamps bring the HGness and don't look cool.

Seriously, though...why?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy_old_fart
I see a lot of shocks angled quite a bit, and I wonder why people do it.

A shock can best control the actions of an axle when at an angle as close to perpendicular as possible. when the shock is set at a 45* angle inboard, it cuts the effectiveness and usefulness of the shock in half.

I understand that packaging the shock can be a major concern. if you have huge lift, and want huge flex, youre gonna need huge lengths of shock. Not stiff shocks, but long ones, mounted properly to maximize the efficiency of the shock. Getting a long shock mounted to provide maximum efficiency is difficult to package.

Now, if you chose shocks with super stiff valving, i could see leaning them a bit to reduce the stiff part of the ride, but too much is a waste... these things you will learn when you get them mounted. sadly, you will have mounted them, and will have a difficult time figuring out whether or not they are mounted to your liking without welding mounts down.

a shock leaning at more than 30* is pretty much useless. you might as well run a monocoil.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 94383
How about say 5/16"s steel rolled around with large tabes and a bolt to hold it around axle and one for shock mount...

I also don't have shock tabs laying around. Anyone have the dimensions for some?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 94383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_old_fart View Post

A shock can best control the actions of an axle when at an angle as close to perpendicular as possible. when the shock is set at a 45* angle inboard, it cuts the effectiveness and usefulness of the shock in half.

I understand that packaging the shock can be a major concern. if you have huge lift, and want huge flex, youre gonna need huge lengths of shock. Not stiff shocks, but long ones, mounted properly to maximize the efficiency of the shock. Getting a long shock mounted to provide maximum efficiency is difficult to package.

Now, if you chose shocks with super stiff valving, i could see leaning them a bit to reduce the stiff part of the ride, but too much is a waste... these things you will learn when you get them mounted. sadly, you will have mounted them, and will have a difficult time figuring out whether or not they are mounted to your liking without welding mounts down.

a shock leaning at more than 30* is pretty much useless. you might as well run a monocoil.
By imboard you mean leaning it towards the say drive shaft as opposed to say the front and rear of the car?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 51243
Call up Dan at Ruffstuffspecialties. He has a pretty decent selection of weld on shock tabs, just bought a set for my rear axle, uppers and lowers, shipped to Hawaii for $37
Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 94383
Dang that's awesome.

Just looked up inboarind and outboarding, looks like I'm going to have to do hoops as this is an all around rig and body roll is bad...
Old 09-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 15404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_old_fart View Post
To cheep to buy a long shock/don't have the room to get them in there verticaly.

My rear shock angle is VERY bad. But when I had as set on the outside of the frame they were limiting travel, getting rubbed by the tire and crushing the bodies aginst the frame; all at the same time. I had no choice but to move them inside the frame... and unfortunatly the fuel tank is right above the rear axle so they are leaned over realy bad until I can totaly cut off the back and re-do it.

Honestly it doesn't bother me much....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.