97 Chevy 2500 4L80E problems. HELP! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
97 Chevy 2500 4L80E problems. HELP!

Alright, let me start this off by saying I'm a die hard Ford guy, so I know next to nothing about Chevy's. But my cousin is having problems with his automatic transmission and he's a pretty cool guy so I figured I'd help him fix it.

The pickup he has is a 1997 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy pickup with 120,000 miles and a 454 and automatic transmission combo. From the searching I've done so far I believe he's got the 4L80E transmission. Is there any other transmissions that it could be on this particular vehicle?

I guess the reverse went out on him today but it continued to work in drive so he drove it about 60 miles to where he was headed. After getting there, reverse started working again and everything seemed alright. Then he shut it off and went and ate and came back out to find that nothing would work; no forward or reverse at all. No check engine light, so I'm guessing it's not one of the solenoids functioning improperly.

Sounds to me like he blew a seal on the main pump or something similiar causing it to completely lose all pressure.

I guess he's going to load it on a trailer and bring it down to our shop and we'll tear it apart and see what we find. Any tips on problems to look for on these transmissions?

Any recommendations on what brand of master rebuild kit to get, and any good shift kits or valve body modifactions to do while it's out?

Thanks!
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy_old_fart
look for a qualified builder.

to ID the trans, you can determine that by looking at the oil pan.
4l80e:

4l60e:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Haha, I AM the "qualified builder" round these parts!

I've taken classes on auto transmissions and rebuilt many others (C4, C6, Turbo 350, Turbo 400, and a torqueflight 727). They're all similiar, but I know they've all got their own little quirks too. Know of any good reading material on the net about them?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20147
um, yeah.

I wont be taking anything to you.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Ha Ha, yea, all the same stuff you would do to a 400 would work on a 4L80E. It is basically an overdrive 400. Your parts suppliers should be able to provide you with recommended upgrades and don't buy any overseas shit for replacement parts. I had a five pinion sun gear loose its bearings and ruin a rebuild, learned an expensive lesson there!
just4cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52387
I definately keep that in mind... Where'd you get the overseas crap at? I usually get my parts from drivetrain.com and I've had good luck so far.

I figured it was probably just a Turbo 400 with an overdrive and electronics, kinda like an E40D and 4R100 are just C6's with overdrives and electronics. I'll probably pay a visit to my automatic transmission instructor and see if he has any specific tips and tricks.

Oh and Grumpy_old_fart... thanks for living up to your name!

Last edited by billybob_81067; 12-02-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
Oh and Grumpy_old_fart... thanks for living up to your name!
tis my pleasure.

if you think youre the only qualified automatic guy around, yet you dont know anything about them, you dont show a lot of confidence in your own work. If you are not confident, you will screw it up. sure, you can build it 3 times before you figure it out. then you will be confident that you can screw one up.

someone said "Good judgement comes from experience. experience comes from bad judgement."
Old 08-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52387
Was searching through my old threads today and came across this one. Just to let you know, Grumpy old bastard, I rebuilt it the 4L80E and it works just fine... Thank you for all of your wonderful help I truly appreciate it!

The forward clutches were completely burned up. I replaced all seals and clutches and set the clearance on the forward clutch pack as tight as recommended, took out the wave spring and used an old steel as a spacer. Should apply nice and tight now and hopefully won't ever burn up again.

Only had one little hiccup and that was the new solenoids that I put in were universal and would plug into either plug on the harness. The wiring diagram I had didn't match my wire colors, so I had them plugged in the wrong spots to begin with. Did all kinds of funky crap when you drove it. Just had to pull the pan and switch the plugs on the solenoids and it worked just fine!

It's been about 3-4 months ago when I got around to getting it done, and it's been on the road since then without any problems.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 13645
Bring up the dead post for a bitch slap? suckah!
TC76 L33 / 4L80E / HP60 SAS / PROJECT TOWHOE
"If it flies, floats or fawks, rent it..."
florida4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.