brake line extension - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 123268
brake line extension

custom building longer brake lines for my K5, need some opinions.

im lifting it 6", how much longer should the lines be over stock?

i do not have the equipment or space to flex it to get a measurement, so i need someone with some knowledge or that has some on their rig.

I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of about 10"-12" over stock to accout for flexing and the axle dropping down.

what do ya'll think?
ManofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48911
you're talking about front brake lines? what I did with mine since I had so much travel, is to run hard lines from the master cylinder to the main pivot point of the axle, then go with short rubber lines to bridge that, then back to hard lines down to the wheel, where it's a stock length rubber line for steering. I got 4 wheel steering, so it's the same for the rear.
---or--- you can run a hard line down to the point where the leaf spring main eye(not the shackle side) is, and when the hard line gets there, make a few coils, and then run further down to the wheel so a stock rubber line would work. the 'coily' will flex enough by the spring eye almost no matter what the wheel travel is at the wheel.
if you got IFS then you could put the coily near that pivot point. but stretching from the framerail straight down to the wheel makes too long of a line, you'd have to get a spring or something to hold it back out the way when it's stuffed in the wheelwell.
I got a pic or two of my short rubber lines by the central pivot point before the re-rebuild. but it's the same design now, just neater.:

in this one the short lines that bridge the pivot point are on the lower left side:

cajunsuzukispider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
skullfuckery

Member # 29016
uh, just buy the kits from explore pro comp or sky jacker.

if you have 52"s up front they will be at the limitflexed out but any typical 4-6" spring they are fine.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 14584
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunsuzukispider View Post
you're talking about front brake lines? what I did with mine since I had so much travel, is to run hard lines from the master cylinder to the main pivot point of the axle, then go with short rubber lines to bridge that, then back to hard lines down to the wheel, where it's a stock length rubber line for steering. I got 4 wheel steering, so it's the same for the rear.
---or--- you can run a hard line down to the point where the leaf spring main eye(not the shackle side) is, and when the hard line gets there, make a few coils, and then run further down to the wheel so a stock rubber line would work. the 'coily' will flex enough by the spring eye almost no matter what the wheel travel is at the wheel.
if you got IFS then you could put the coily near that pivot point. but stretching from the framerail straight down to the wheel makes too long of a line, you'd have to get a spring or something to hold it back out the way when it's stuffed in the wheelwell.
I got a pic or two of my short rubber lines by the central pivot point before the re-rebuild. but it's the same design now, just neater.:
I bet bleeding those brakes were fun with those curlys in the lines
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 38739
If you get a front brake line for a 1992 chevrolet c1500 2wd, they are just over 25" long and will work in your factory location with 1/2 ton/ 3/4ton/ 1 ton calipers. And they are cheap

Napa p/n UP 38620 left
UP 38621 right $16.29 each

With the rigth positioning the work well we have no issues with my brothers S10 blazer SAS with tall lift and good flex shown here

Name:  101_0019.jpg
Views: 4275
Size:  79.9 KB

[URL="[url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552700[/url]"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"]My old 78 K10 build up[/COLOR][/FONT] [/URL]
tlspeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 51243
Ain't nothing like working harder is there Cajun?

For the love of Christ, go to your local hydraulic supplier and have them build some braided steel brakelines that are about 25 inches long.

Aren't expensive, look good, perform well and eliminates needs for "coilys"
Old 12-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 123268
got em custom made, red coated SS braided lines, i just needed an approximate length.

get made to about 10" longer than stock. i dont do rock climbing, just forest trails and muddin.
ManofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25338
Send a message via AIM to virgilwalker1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCTruxrule View Post
Ain't nothing like working harder is there Cajun?

For the love of Christ, go to your local hydraulic supplier and have them build some braided steel brakelines that are about 25 inches long.

Aren't expensive, look good, perform well and eliminates needs for "coilys"
x2

Write a letter to save the Hammers!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/letters/
virgilwalker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Who?????

Member # 64846
Heres what I did. Single line in the center, where there is not as much travel. Hard lines on axle to stock rubber lines to calipers.

I made a tab and bolted it to the stock sway bar hole to go from the hard line to rubber.

I didn't want to use springs to keep my lines out of the way.

Try my soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend View Post
"Damn you Gutter Runner and your meddling tasty potato soup."
Gutter Runner is offline   Reply With Quote