14 bolt hubs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 140411
14 bolt hubs

okay soo im starting to cather up parts to put my jeep tj on 1 tons..today i bought a 14 bolt FF out of a 3/4 suburban..the axle is the second design 14 bolt.. my question is if a can run 1st design DRW hubs on my housing to narrow the axles wms width. im going to be converting to disc brackets and will be using weld on caliper brackets therfore the backing plate for the drums will be cut off. thanks
4.0TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 110865
I traded my DRW hubs off of my second generation for a set of SRW hubs off a first generation and i am having MAJOR issues. brake backings are fine, but the hubs will not go all the way onto the axle b/c the journals are different. Tech section doesnt state this, so now i am learning the hard way. The hubs will not slide far enough on the axle for the spindle nut to go all the way on. I have the new style single nut with clip and metal key spindle nut set. Now I need a set of SRW second generation hubs........lesson is dont mix first and second generation parts.....If you want to sell your hubs let me know. There are plenty of DRW hubs to be found in junk yards.

Last edited by babybluebeast; 09-28-2009 at 07:03 PM.
babybluebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybluebeast View Post
I traded my DRW hubs off of my second generation for a set of SRW hubs off a first generation and i am having MAJOR issues. brake backings are fine, but the hubs will not go all the way onto the axle b/c the journals are different. Tech section doesnt state this, so now i am learning the hard way. The hubs will not slide far enough on the axle for the spindle nut to go all the way on. I have the new style single nut with clip and metal key spindle nut set. Now I need a set of SRW second generation hubs........lesson is dont mix first and second generation parts.....If you want to sell your hubs let me know. There are plenty of DRW hubs to be found in junk yards.
Your problem is not mixing 1st with 2nd gen.... There are actually 3 different types of hubs. SRW and DRW are interchangable... the 3rd type is unique and does not fix on the axle that accept the other two. I've post pics on this a gazillion times.... if you want more info on it, search for the pics.
KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 110865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanos View Post
Your problem is not mixing 1st with 2nd gen.... There are actually 3 different types of hubs. SRW and DRW are interchangable... the 3rd type is unique and does not fix on the axle that accept the other two. I've post pics on this a gazillion times.... if you want more info on it, search for the pics.
The third type is a cab and chassis but according to the 14 bolt bible posted on this site they are interchangeable. If there is a fourth type please give me a link to the data as I have not been able to find it through tons of searching this site.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 140411
From what i have read on the 14 bolt bible they consider DRW and C&C hubs to be the same..my main concern is weather i can run C&C hubs or even DRW hubs on my second genration 14 bolt to get a wms around 63-64"
Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 110865
[QUOTE=4.0TJ;10367745]From what i have read on the 14 bolt bible they consider DRW and C&C hubs to be the same..my main concern is weather i can run C&C hubs or even DRW hub

I actually have a c&c axle and if you swap it will narrow the WMS width down like you want. Ruffstuff even makes bolt on caliper brackets for what you want to do. To avoid potential headaches I would advise staying within axle generations when looking for hubs. Let me know if you want to get rid of your srw hubs.

Last edited by babybluebeast; 09-28-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 140411
the DRW hubs you have for the second gen..is the wheel mounting flange closer towards the cencter section of the diff?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 110865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0TJ View Post
the DRW hubs you have for the second gen..is the wheel mounting flange closer towards the cencter section of the diff?
I don't have them any more, but yes. It narrowed it down by about 4". My axle is a 96. Sold my hubs for $50 and bought a set of first generation srw hubs which do not fit properly due to different journals.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 140411
On your DRW hubs..were the drums mounted behind the hubs itself? did u have to take the hubs and axleshafts off to remove the drums?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybluebeast View Post
The third type is a cab and chassis but according to the 14 bolt bible posted on this site they are interchangeable. If there is a fourth type please give me a link to the data as I have not been able to find it through tons of searching this site.
A "C&C" hub is a DRW hub.... same thing. The third "bastard" hub has a differnet bearing spacing dimension than the standard SRW and DRW hubs. I have 1st gen SRW hubs on my 2nd gen housing.... it's not a old vs. new housing thing.... it's a has to do with the 3rd bastard type hub that fits on it's own spindle which the housing a bastard as well. Every time I have encountered this hub type, it was from an axle that had the slip-on brake drums.

Oh and the Bible is wrong on this issue.... well not so much wrong as incomplete. The bible is a very nice collection of a LOT of data.... but there are some holes in the data. This hub issue is one of them.
KC0UIC

Last edited by Mechanos; 09-28-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 140411
ohh great well with my luck it looks as if i got the "bastard axle" so im assuming that the srw hubs that are on it now are the only hubs i am able to put onto that housing and there isent a way of narrowing the wms.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 110865
Quote:
A "C&C" hub is a DRW hub.... same thing. The third "bastard" hub has a differnet bearing spacing dimension than the standard SRW and DRW hubs. I have 1st gen SRW hubs on my 2nd gen housing.... it's not a old vs. new housing thing.... it's a has to do with the 3rd bastard type hub that fits on it's own spindle which the housing a bastard as well. Every time I have encountered this hub type, it was from an axle that had the slip-on brake drums.

Oh and the Bible is wrong on this issue.... well not so much wrong as incomplete. The bible is a very nice collection of a LOT of data.... but there are some holes in the data. This hub issue is one of them.
I have a C&C axle that have had DRW hubs with a slip over drum. Very common on the new finned style axles. So can i get a SRW hub designed for the slip over drum??? The person i sold my DRW hubs to says he is using them off of my C&C on his SRW axle. Where can i get a complete list of the types by part number?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Don't know.... hell, maybe there is a fourth hub out there too.

All I know if I have pictures of the standard SRW, DRW and the slip-on drum SRW hub. The first two interchange with each other and the last one won't.... different bearing spacing.
KC0UIC

Old 09-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 110865
Quote:
Don't know.... hell, maybe there is a fourth hub out there too.

All I know if I have pictures of the standard SRW, DRW and the slip-on drum SRW hub. The first two interchange with each other and the last one won't.... different bearing spacing.
so can you give me a link to the pics you have so i can figure out what i had and what i have and what i need to do please.....?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...38&postcount=9
KC0UIC

Old 09-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 110865
Quote:
Thanks for the info, but this sucks. I completely rebuilt this thing and regeared it thinking all would be fine until I tried to install the hubs and have been banging my head on the wall. Even started a couple of threads with no helpful responses until now.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 140411
Ahh well i feel the same as you babyblue..i suppose im glad i havent started build the axle yet.. the 14 bolt bible should be edited to prevent this from happening to others.

well thanks for all the info and getting this all worked out.. now i suppose i shall began looking for another 14 bolt..but this time the right one
Old 12-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 396210
Send a message via Yahoo to locs
I had the same problem got a 14 bolt out of a93 suburban slide off drum tried to put the other hubs to make it wider didnt work. Now i got one off of 95 g30 van but its not a slide off drum tried putting on the hubs from other one and fit al the way the problem is the tread is not far enough to tighend the hub
locs is offline   Reply With Quote