Pirate 4x4 banner

Tranny & transfer case Question

827 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mavrick331 
#1 ·
I found some information posted on other threads, but I'm still a little foggy.....

I have a 4L60e out of a 96 corvette, I'm looking at getting a NP241c. The tranny has a long tailcone, when removed the spline is about 7 3/8" long. As long as both are 27 spline, is all I need a 4 bolt tranny side to 6 bolt TC side adapter like this one below on ebay ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEV...1012?IMSfp=TL0910121510001r32539#ht_598wt_958

I'm assuming i would just remove the exsisting tail cone on the tranny and bolt this adapter up, if this is correct the spline on the tranny would stick out 3 7/8" past the adapter, does this all fit in the transfer case input spline?

Been out of 4wd's a long time....

Thanks,
Rick

#4 ·
All I can tell you is that you need to swap the output shaft from the 2wd to the 4wd version and then run the adapter you posted above.

There may be a spacer available that would go between the 2wd case and the trans-tcase adapter, but I don't want to search for it.

#5 ·
Thanks,

I couldn't find any spacer, It appears the only way is to do as you say, change the shaft. I can barely spell transmission much less tear one apart.

I might be easier to sell this one and pick up one with the shorter cone. Somewhere I read it's better to keep the tranny that was mated to the engine. I picked up this one that came out of a 96 corvette, under 80k on the odometer for a killer deal.

Rick -

#6 ·
It's not that expensive to have a tranny shop pull it apart and replace the output shaft. I had mine converted for $100 and that included the new shaft. I also upgraded the reaction hub shell while I was at it. He did that for the price of the shell since he already had it apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.