Pirate 4x4 banner

Fall Guy Truck Project

71K views 85 replies 51 participants last post by  redsand723 
#1 · (Edited)
hello, Vincennes University Auto Club is building a Fall Guy Truck replica.

The purpose of the Vincennes University Auto Club “Fall Guy” project truck is to build confidence, friendship, and organizational/mechanical skills for the students involved. The project truck will require a frame off restoration that will involve organizing, cleaning, cataloging, ordering, and restoring the truck components. The restoration will involve both mechanical and body/cosmetic repair that will involve students from both the Automotive Technology Program as well as the Collision Repair Program. Students will research the Fall Guy television show that aired in the early eighties and build the project truck based on research and observations made from the TV series that starred Lee Majors. When the truck is completed, the Auto Club intends to show the truck as much as possible and use it to display their skills as well as the quality of the Transportation Department Programs at Vincennes University.

So far we`ve got the entire frame done and painted. the drivetrain is installed. and the cab is being prepped for paint. the bed is still under construction due to the "secret compartments" in the bed from the show.

the engine is just a stock 350. the trans is a 400 that the students rebuilt as well as the 208 tcase. the front 10 bolt and 14bolt were also built by students.

we are working on gettin pics uploaded. below is a link to our facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=73955054381

thank you and we appreciate any and all support!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
some pics

trans and tcase assembled on bench.

color combo

Lee Majors autograph

cab getting prepped for paint

what the truck will look like

wheel and tire combo.

students putting parts on the chassis

painting the engine.

#10 ·
Wonder how many trucks the studio went through?

As they did more jumps they modified a truck by putting the engine behind the cab. You can see through the front fender wells and see the lower part of the engine trans combo under the bed.

Its funny to watch how the scenes cut when a tire stuffs (and probably falls off) and it cuts back in with a different truck to finish the scene.

They sure beat the hell out of those trucks, gotta hand it to those stunt drivers too, they took a beating.

#12 ·
I love the jump where it cuts to what appears to be a hot wheels style die cast truck right in the middle of the jump (the one over water with a boat?), and then shows the original truck landing. Wow, some of those directors should have laid of the coke back in the 80s. While the real jumps are great, those fake ones are just rediculous! Cool project, hope it all works out for you guys!

#13 ·
thanks for the support! and sorry... the 10 bolt is what we had to work with.

the Auto club raised all the money for this project so money is alittle tight.

ill have more pics tomarrow.

#18 ·
Didn't some one on here do a fall guy buildup? Or were we just making fun of how close it looked? Either way badass. Everyone always wonders how many trucks they went through. I always wondered how many stuntmen they went through. Some of those landings, jesus talk about a broken ass bone.

#25 ·
some new updates:

havent done a whole lot recently due to students being away on xmas break. but everybody is back and we`ve got alot of work to do. we would like to give LMC a big thank you for their generous donation to our project. now we have all the chrome, trim, and weather stripping we need. we`ve been talking with the people from PIRATE4X4TV and they would like to do a live web show with us! look for that sometime in march. we have alot of plans for this week. the cab, doors, and doghouse are being prepped for paint this thursday. we will post pics with out recent progress.

thank you all for your support!

#27 ·
I love it, that show was on when I was like 5. I got to watch all the good stuff, Fall Guy, Sledge Hammer and Night Rider. I do remember being really bummed when the shows got d/c'ed. You do have to admit tho, it was far less sacreligious to jump and destroy maybe a couple hundred GMC's rather than destroy a shitload of 69 Dodge Chargers. Hell we are still wheeling 73-87 chevy full size trucks...... good luck finding a 69 charger. Thanks alot Dukes of Hazzard producers. LOL

#28 ·
are you going to put a half door in the front of the pass side of the bed like in the show? That was one of the coolest custom things on the truck... other than having a fine blond in the bed .... mmmmmm ... markie post.....

gotta have the half door into the bed!

b

#30 ·
After destroying front axles after every jump they built a 2wd jump truck with a cardboard cut out of a SFA mounted to it. Doug Barr "Howie" on the show came to my High School to give a motivational speech, I sat there and watched him dig his nose for ten minutes before he spoke and shook hands.

#31 · (Edited)
new updates! we got the ball rolling again on the Fallguy truck. heres a few pics.

started painting.

got the bed prepped for paint. we got the "trap door" cut. ill post pics of that later.

making templates for the discontinued WARN brushguard.

got the cab prepped for paint. the cab is now painted, ill post more pics soon.

last night we got several things done. general cleaning and painting of several small pieces. dash pieces, brackets, trim etc. we`ll keep you all posted. :D

#34 ·
well, it was just a matter of getting the word out via facebook, phone calls letters etc.. eventually we got a call from lee majors manager. who then put us through to lee. he was pretty excited about the build. he agreed to sign the glovebox for us. so we got one painted up and shipped it out to california. the only problem was while on its trip back it got damaged. its got a slight dent in it. we`re gonna try to send another to him to get autographed and just use the first one for display. lee contacts us often about our progress on the build. also recenty, we contacted LMC and they agreed to donate all the trim, bumpers, grill, etc that we need. a big thanks goes out to LMC and Lee Majors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.