Learn me suntin' bout them 4.3's - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
be cool, baby

Member # 17896
Learn me suntin' bout them 4.3's

So it turns out I've got some 4.3's all of a sudden. One was a cheap longblock out of a 2000 (planning to warehouse this one and freshen it up some, new cam maybe?), the other is in a 93 S10 Blazer my wife will be driving for a while.

1. What do you like for upgrades? This is destined for an FJ40, so I'm thinking more "mild upgrade" than "twin-turbo race motor".

2. Planning on using the intake etc off the 93. Anything I want to do to that?

3. the 2000 has the balance shaft, not sure about eh 93, haven't googled much yet-- anyone hate the shaft?

etc. Barely looked at them, but the Blazer gets 20mpg at 80mph up the canyons here. Much better than the shitt.. er.. "venerable" Toyota straight six.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 147891
dont much about about the newer ones but the 93 is most likely a z code block with no balnce shaft i would not twin turbo it unless you plan on getting a scat crank for it and better rods they throw rods and brake cranks in stock form if you push hard on them. seen it done it my self. they have a flaw in thir casting.
as far as mods for it tbi spacer, injector pod spacer, pull the fan and swap it out for a 3.8 tourus fan, msd blaster, headers and a cam and you should be good to go.
mog-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 56162
the 93 may be TBI of CPI (vin code Z for TBI and I believe win code W for TPI) It should be easy to tell which one just by looking at the intake. TBI's were rated at 160 HP and 190 For the CPI. If I recall the CPI had some sort of fuel pressure regulator problem. Sombody correct me if I am wrong on this info my 4.3 knowledge is a bit rusty.

As far as mild mods go ignition and headers are always good. If its is a TBI one mod is to get a 454 throttle body and use the 4.3 injectors. The 454 throttle boddy has bigger bores so you will have to bore out the intake bores on the stock intake manifold too.

The 4.3 is more or less 3/4s of a 350 and some of the parts are interchanable like the water pump and timing chain.
lost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Send a message via AIM to frikenwoodro Send a message via Yahoo to frikenwoodro
Sweet just got my meat hooks on a sdime with a 4.3
Old 02-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 36334
Judging by you mpg's I'm guessing you have the "W" code in the 93 which is much more desirable. I don't think the regulator was as much of a problem as the "spider" leaking, but could be wrong. Just about everything off the 350 is interchangeable with the 4.3, pistons, rods, water pump, etc.. as stated before. I have a tbi variant with 220,000 hard miles and still gets along pretty good, so they are pretty reliable to boot.

TBI versions do good with exhaust (although not too large, they tend to start losing torque pretty quick with anything over 2.5") throttle body, intake and chip. Not much else to do to them after that without going deep in the pockets.

CPI versions, exhaust, throttle body, chip, cam, even forced induction fairly easily. Take a look at the typhoon and the cyclone as proof of that. Quite a bit more potential before having to do any major motor work. Also the CPI versions already have vortec heads which is a big reason for the greater hp and also why they respond so much better to mods than the tbi versions.

I honestly won't do any upgrades to a TBI 4.3, for that reason. The one in my 91 jimmy will be coming out and a 350 will be going back in. On a 93 with a "W" code motor on the other hand I would probably do a few more things to it before going to the V8.

$.02

Hope that helps a little anyway.
goinbigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Table Rock Crawler

Member # 115122
Ive got 95 CPI W vin, I drive it everyday with no complaints. Ive heard coils tend to go out. An MSD or Accel unit could be an upgrade. Also, I am currently running a small block starter.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
be cool, baby

Member # 17896
This will be interesting for me. I know next to nothing about the v6's.

The 2000 long block I have has a balance shaft and what I thought was a mockup timing gear on it-- stamped 1/4"ish sprocket. Tiny bike-chain looking deal. I don't like it.
The 93 in the Blazer, I know nothing about. I know it runs freakin' great! but no idea what the intake is-- looks like a smaller version of TPI, which I know it isn't.

All upgrades will be geared towards.. improvement less than wicked performance increases. A cam.. some headers maybe. This is ending up in my FJ40 when the body finally rusts off the Blazer.

and the dash has already been redone in the Blazer. It's properly 80's Knight-Rideresque.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Karnage

Member # 55444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma73 View Post
This will be interesting for me. I know next to nothing about the v6's.

The 2000 long block I have has a balance shaft and what I thought was a mockup timing gear on it-- stamped 1/4"ish sprocket. Tiny bike-chain looking deal. I don't like it.

The 93 in the Blazer, I know nothing about. I know it runs freakin' great! but no idea what the intake is-- looks like a smaller version of TPI, which I know it isn't.
Both motors will be CPI. The 93 should look like this.

The 2000 is essentially the same injection, but with a goofy piece of shit plastic intake.

Everything you can do to a V8, a 4.3 will react to, and some of the time it's actually cheaper to buy a v8 kit, and not use 2 pieces(roller rockers, pistons, rods, etc.)
Old 02-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 14696
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbigger View Post
Also the CPI versions already have vortec heads which is a big reason for the greater hp and also why they respond so much better to mods than the tbi versions. .
wrong the cpi motor uses the same heads as the tbi the "vortec heads didn't come out untill 96
rebalracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 130928
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebalracer View Post
wrong the cpi motor uses the same heads as the tbi the "vortec heads didn't come out untill 96
Wanna bet? They were called Vortecs in the 80s.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 14696
you should read this

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...t=110410&pp=20
rebalracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
be cool, baby

Member # 17896
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebalracer View Post
Well.. that might be, but I have a new used 93 Blazer with a big VORTEC panel on the intake. They could be lying, or confusing us all. I really don't care. The 2000 long block on the driveway has Vortec on the valve covers.

WHAT TO BELIEVE!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Send a message via AIM to frikenwoodro Send a message via Yahoo to frikenwoodro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma73 View Post
Well.. that might be, but I have a new used 93 Blazer with a big VORTEC panel on the intake. They could be lying, or confusing us all. I really don't care. The 2000 long block on the driveway has Vortec on the valve covers.

WHAT TO BELIEVE!
Do you believe everything you read?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
be cool, baby

Member # 17896
Nope.

Generally, I assume the manufacturer knows what they are making though, even if I don't.... I guess I'll be counting head bolts and stuff. All I know is that thing is a little rocket shooting around town. I'm pretty stoked on the 20+mpg too. Try that out of a Toyota straight six!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 19391
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbigger View Post
Just about everything off the 350 is interchangeable with the 4.3, pistons, rods, water pump, etc.. as stated before.
4.3's have a different journal size so while pistons will swap con rods will not.

The most common failure i have seen with the 4.3 is the big end of the connecting rod getting pounded out.
Rustyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote