6.5 starter HUGE problem - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67642
6.5 starter HUGE problem

To start, its a 94 GMC 2500 diesel on 37s. its doubles as my DD.

Anyone who knows the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels has probably heard of the bracket that holds the tail end of the starter so the starter doesn't bounce around and break starter bolts. well I couldn't find the bolt to hold it to the block, and I was waiting til it warmed up to replace it

Well this morning after my PT test (I'm in the Air force, and thankfully this didn't happen before it) my starter starts grinding like I broke a bolt. Take off the slave cylinder, take off the bolts, and a good chunk of my engine block comes off with it...

what do I do now? I can't drill and re-tap air, half of the original bolt hole is laying underneath my front tire. To complicate things, my other dodge diesel wheeler/dd is missing a transmission, so i need to get this done quick.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 123392
Only way Ive ever seen that repaired is to have the engine out and upside down on a stand , and braze the broken piece back on. Not what you wanted to hear I know , but Ive seen several break and thats the only way Ive seen them repaired.
94Blazer327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 67642
As I saw the peice fall to the groud, I saw the mental image of me pulling the engine, so it sucks, but i definitely see it in my future. I'm just trying to not have to replace it.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 123392
If its a stick you could always have some guys in your company push you off until you can get the engine pulled out.
94Blazer327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67642
thats actually what I'm doing right now. if I wont have a push, I just leave it running. not a good plan but its all i have til I get the new tranny for my dodge next week
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29016
since it is a stick you can get a old style bellhousing that the starter mounts to instead of the block.

what tranny is it?
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 67642
NV4500, please explain more about this bellhousing...
Old 02-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 41347
Send a message via Yahoo to bigevil
the old style wont bolt up to the nv4500 . been there done tryed it . i had the same problem . lucky my motor was wore out so i bought another one . im sure you could cross drill and tap new holes in the starter and block . the motor needs to be pulled . easy to do it . im getting pretty good at it lol
bigevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 38337
had this happen to my 6.2 while I was working in Colorado, one winter. Cept I just broke both bolts off in the block.... the little bracket that your talking about is around $21 from GM.. the 6.2/6.5 and some BB used the same bracket, the bolt that holds the bracket was around $3.00 from GM,, Metric threads. The 6.5 is capable of running a Powermaster )or comprable equivilant) Gear reduction starter, this is what I ended up going to. as I had a Turbo oil return line that I plumbed into the oil pan too close to my starter to allow the use of a regular 6.5 starter... the Gear reduction starter was smaller in appearance and spun my irritable 6.2 off with 1.5x faster starts...

if half of your bolt hole is still showing, and it has threads, I would track down the support bracket, install it, and get a new starter bolt and thread it in with alittle thread locker untill you can get the trans in the other truck long enough to get this engine, out.... you may can get lucky and find some crusty old fart that can do it in place... I certainly wouldnt go thrashing on it.
85 Chev K30 Crew Cab Dualy 2001 Cummins 24v NV4500/NP205, D60/14Bolt 3:73, 65 GMC 350/sm420/D60:4:10
wcuhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
the old style wont bolt up to the nv4500 . been there done tryed it . i had the same problem . lucky my motor was wore out so i bought another one . im sure you could cross drill and tap new holes in the starter and block . the motor needs to be pulled . easy to do it . im getting pretty good at it lol
Other than the input bearing retainer size is the trans bolt pattern different?
I know the input shaft length is 1" different between Chevy and Dodge. Is the input length on the nv4500 longer than a 465?

This seems like a good modification to make for a permant fix since the starter bolts completely to the bell housing on the old style. It makes changing the clutch easier too.
just4cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 38337
the shaft length between the 4500 and the 465 is differant, and the spline count, and hte physical height/line up. the old cast iron bell housing with the 3 bolt starter that has been refered to on here, is a null point, tryed doing this some years ago with my 6.2 diesel with the 465 tyed to it.. this is not a good solution to the starter problem, as you now have to relocate and fab the clutch linkage/ hydro. and the gasser starter for 1955-1972 doesnt spin fast enough to reliably launch off the diesel @ 22:1 compression, especially if its cold. Now to counter any one thinking of putting the Dodge bell housing on the GM 4500, then up to the 6.5...... think about what your saying..... it physically wont fit.
85 Chev K30 Crew Cab Dualy 2001 Cummins 24v NV4500/NP205, D60/14Bolt 3:73, 65 GMC 350/sm420/D60:4:10
wcuhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.