Pirate 4x4 banner

Project: $hitbox

66K views 148 replies 42 participants last post by  muddy ink 
#1 · (Edited)
I guess it's time to add another build thread to the chevy section, I've had small and rarely updated threads on other sites but I'll keep this one up to date. I'm not going to go back and show everything from how it started, but just the main points I guess.

I got this 75 k5 as a offroader for 1600$ when I was 17, it was a rust bucket and I hardly knew anything about working on this type of stuff...and thats where it all went downhill :flipoff2:

It had some weird half top thing on it, I sold that to some guy later on...

I went "mud whompin" in it alot the first summer I had it and figured out I didn't like that just one tire spun in the back when going through mud holes and climbing stuff.

So I talked to some mechanics at the chevy dealership I've been washing cars at since I was 16 every time I was not in school. I found out what locking differentials were and blah blah blah I bought a spool for the 12 bolt....and learned the hard way about rear ends.

Fast forward another few months and I went to a local park named grayrock orv and found out about crawling. Then it really went downhill..... I created something that belonged in the ghetto hackjobs thread on here and then I quickly smoked the dana44 in the front and back on the chopping block it went. This time I had found pirate and I became lots smarter.(yes that's a mitered hoop)

Alright, I tossed that bullshit and bought a literally rust free 2wd cab from the junkyard, I spent 2 days there pulling it :eek:
Then I threw it on my frame...oh and I picked up a 14bolt ff and a dana 60 along the way somewhere...

Damn this sucks looking up old stuff...I bought a S&W cage and in it went

Lets see where this gets me, flame on

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Alright well I bought a propane kit and I wheeled it this way for a year or so, and slowly started making things better and fixing what didn't work so well.

ditched the front clip and built the front tube work with a jd2 I bought....and then bought the 300$ die 3 months later :D

Went to Hot springs arkansas with some friends and broke a TSC ram. NOT FUN.

#3 ·
Alright now I'm going to skip most the BS and get to recent stuff, this is when it will probably start interesting most you guys...

Dash torn down for paint

Stage 1 of dash done

Current state of dash

Full hydraulic, high steer setup, had it on a few rides and it works perfect

I do need to get my lines cut down though, lots of slack right now..

Then I was cruising around my property and hit one of my trails (cherokee hill) and broke the 1310 yoke off my np203 tcase.

So I decided to upgrade everything to 1410 in the rear, and since the 1410 yoke on the 203 is 32 spline and same size bore it interchanges with a 205 which will happen in the future.

#4 · (Edited)
Alright well since 1410 was in order, a traction bar was also needed to keep everything in one piece. Driveshaft and traction bar setup.....

I know pinion angle is a little steep, it became a little exaggerated swap from 57's to 56's...I kind of like it though, keeps shaft a little more out of the way

So I got that stuff done and good to go, so I took it wheeling...

#5 · (Edited)
and long story short...the ole propane eating 350 started to develop a nice/loud/scary rod knock that probably had nothing to do with HIGH rpm, valve floating donuts. Not to mention i've been fighting low oil pressure problems on it forever...So the time came for me to sell off all the propane stuff (which I did love) and start preparing things for a.......... 99-01 GM 5.3 fuel injected motor (haven't chosen what year/mileage i want yet)!!

No more propane tanks...

No more propane anything and preparing to pull the 350 out soon...probably sunday

and a pic of my slaves at work

That's about it for now, I'll post some more up as soon as take some more

#7 · (Edited)
and long story short...the ole propane eating 350 started to develop a nice/loud/BADASS rod knock that probably had nothing to do with HIGH rpm, valve floating donuts. Not to mention i've been fighting low oil pressure problems on it forever...So the time came for me to sell off all the propane stuff (which I did love) and start preparing things for a.......... 99-01 GM 5.3 fuel injected motor (haven't decided which one yet)!!
What motor you going with? 5.3L or.....
yep a 5.3 would be my guess

#8 ·
Yeah a 5.3 is what I'm going with, I just didn't know what year I was going to end up with. Im getting it from efi engine supply who I found on here, I'm getting a unknown mileage 01 complete. I carfax'd the VIN and it came back 40,000 miles, but I carfax'd my buddies 02 we are picking up same time and it said 482 miles
or something, so who knows how accurate that is.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
perhaps you allready know but incase you dont, chevy 205's have 31 spine outputs. If you wish to run 32 spline you will have to source 32 spline ouptut shafts from a ford 205. lookin good though.
Every Spicer 205 and 203 yoke I've looked at have the exact same part numbers, I'm almost positive they interchange :confused:

http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/SPI-3-4-10951-1.html

I love that dash. Have anymore pics of how it was built and mounted?

edit: sorry, I actually opened my eyes and seen its welded to the cage.
Yeah, I just took the original dash out.

#12 ·
Pretty sure on this......

Chevy 205 has 10,27, or 32 spline input shaft, 10 or 30 spline front outputs, and all the rear outputs are 32 spline.

Ford 205 has 31 spline input, and 32 spline front and rear outputs.

#17 ·
I ran tie rod ends for a while, and switched to heims after I bent a couple TRE's. The heims sat lower on the knuckle then a TRE, and when the ram was at full extend it was binding up and I never knew until it sheared in half at Superlift offroad park in Arkansas. Doh!

Lots of people run these rams though, nothing wrong with them, I'm running one again.

Lee, Suck it! :flipoff2:get off your ass and swap in that 5.3. Good work, it has come a long way. Your makin me want to swap a 5.3 in mine now.
Thanks fawker. I'm going to get it tomorrow! Then it's time to do work.

#19 ·
Yeah I thought that guy had his shit wrong....

but

I drove up to Knoxville,Tn today and picked up my motor and my buddy who is building a pretty sick truggy decided to go ahead and get his too since I was driving up there.

They weren't quite as nice and clean as I thought they were going to be, but can't complain cause the price was pretty good. Hopefully I'll have the old motor out tonight and the harness and some other stuff taken off the new motor.

#24 · (Edited)
Update:

Got the motor home safely and in the shop, and began removing stuff I'm not going to be using.

Pulled the harness off and labeled some stuff I figured I should remember...

I also pulled the 350 out, I don't have a engine hoist...but I had a tractor...

Then today I worked on the harness and used a pinout diagram and pulled everything I didn't need from the harness.

#25 · (Edited)
#28 · (Edited)
Here is another link that i used to do my 5.3l swap.
Looks good man keep up the good work.
http://www.lt1swap.com
Thanks for that link, I sent him an email. Seems like a good place to send it. I used his pinout diagrams, but never went to the home page.

#36 · (Edited)
Here's an update.

Finally got the motor between the frame rails. Haven't completed a motor xmember or motor mounts yet, but its bolted up to the transmission. The stock GM parts I got mated the older th350 up to this motor perfect. Some pictors.

It was a pain in the ass getting the motor over the front tubes, I had to drop it down onto 2x4's. Then slide the motor over, and then jack it up again so the hoist could go underneath the axle.

Here's the start of some motor mounts, some plate, tube, bushings...

Left over linking material, .250 wall DOM..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.