Need A Little Help With SAS - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 146945
Need A Little Help With SAS

Im in the middle of an SAS on my '89 GMC K1500 and need a little help from some of the guys that have done it with the Sky kit already. A few specs are:
Sky Mfc. hanger kit, basterdized Rough Country spring packs good for 2-3" of lift, late 70's 3/4 ton D44.

My question regards the driver's side shackle hanger, there's a relief cut out in the hanger for the transmisson shift linkage, but in my case its not cut out enough. Iv searched through here quite a bit and all the pictures I can find have the shift linkage removed and the hanger moved partially over the hole it came out of, but I couldnt find any information that helped. Now I was planning on notching the hanger (it needs to move about 1/2"-1" forward) so that I can slide it forward around the shift linkage, but I figured I would ask the people that have done it already first.

So my question is how did those of yall that encountered this problem handle it? The whole reason I am moving the hanger is to improve my shackle angle (which only needs to swing back about 1/2"). Iv got my axle centerline pretty much where I want it so I dont want to move the front crossmember back any. So any opinions ? Notch the shackle hanger or other suggestions?

Here are a few pics just for comparison:

tlrbucnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 146945
Bump?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 85758
I used the sky kit a few years ago on mine, and if memory serves. I think the "v" cut out on the rear hanger should line up with the "V" on the frame, where the box section ends. Then adjust the front mount back and forth to get the right shackle angle. Mines a '90 3/4 ton frame so it might be different. Also mine is a manual tranny. But still goes on in the same way. If you can't move them, then start grinding, those things are beefy as hell IMO. I ground some of the shackle out to get more angle out of mine and have had no problems. Hope this helps a little.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 146945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyork View Post
I used the sky kit a few years ago on mine, and if memory serves. I think the "v" cut out on the rear hanger should line up with the "V" on the frame, where the box section ends. Then adjust the front mount back and forth to get the right shackle angle. Mines a '90 3/4 ton frame so it might be different. Also mine is a manual tranny. But still goes on in the same way. If you can't move them, then start grinding, those things are beefy as hell IMO. I ground some of the shackle out to get more angle out of mine and have had no problems. Hope this helps a little.
Thats what I was under the impression of when I bought the kit (kind of round peg-round hole logic), but when I tried to put it on, the "V" in the shackle hanger was about 1-2" behind (towards the rear) of the "V" in the frame and the transmission shift linkage was hitting the backside of the notch (for the shift linkage) in Sky's bracket (couldnt move any further forward). Just to clarify the bracket is further back than it needs to be but cant move forward anymore because the transmisson shift linkage is in the way. The few pictures I found on here of people that used them, had taken there shift linkage off in the pictures (dont know if they left them off or not though), so I assume Im not the only one thats had this problem. Im about to go and take the gas axe to it and modify there design a little and make my own notch for the shift linkage and hopefully that will solve my problem, I was hoping I wouldnt have to do that though.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20053
get some pics of from under the truck looking at the hanger
Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 146945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
get some pics of from under the truck looking at the hanger
I will when I get to work on it again (hopefully tomorrow afternoon). Iv pretty much decided to go ahead and notch a hole out for the transmission shift linkage in the hanger. I had tossed arounf the idea of moving it (linkage) or trying to make a way to mount it to the hanger, but I figure it would be easier to just notch the hanger.

Here is a picture of the problem Im having; it is not mine but almost exaclty the same, I borrowed it from a post by a guy on here:

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...E/IMG_0671.jpg

If you will notice the hole in the extreme top of the picture (center approx. 1" diameter) that is half covered up by the shackle hanger; that is the hole the transmission shift linkage goes into and apparently that guy had the same problem I do, but I dont know how he resolved it.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 146945
Well I decided Im gonna go ahead notch it for the shift linkage to fit, seems like it will be the easiest thing to do IMO.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 146945
My solution to the problem:

Definately not the best looking, but I think it will be just fine. What does Pirate have to say ?