Trimming Down 4.3 V6 Wiring Harness To Its Basics... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 154419
Red face Trimming Down 4.3 V6 Wiring Harness To Its Basics...

Hey everyone, I am transplanting a 1991 4.3 TBI Chevy V6 in to my 1986 Sami Buggy.

I got the engine from a 1991 Astro Van and when I took the engine out I took the whole wiring harness and the computer.

Is there any information out there on how to chop this harness down to just the basic crap needed to run the engine without all the other crap that is on the harness?

I could litterally spend DAYS figuring this out but if someone knows of a guide or something that someone has already done online that would be helpful. Any searching I have done has not turned up anything worthwhile for me.

Howell Engine Development makes a basic harness exactly what I need but it is $350.00 !!!

Thanks, C
4wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 80727
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeling View Post
Hey everyone, I am transplanting a 1991 4.3 TBI Chevy V6 in to my 1986 Sami Buggy.

I got the engine from a 1991 Astro Van and when I took the engine out I took the whole wiring harness and the computer.

Is there any information out there on how to chop this harness down to just the basic crap needed to run the engine without all the other crap that is on the harness?

I could litterally spend DAYS figuring this out but if someone knows of a guide or something that someone has already done online that would be helpful. Any searching I have done has not turned up anything worthwhile for me.

Howell Engine Development makes a basic harness exactly what I need but it is $350.00 !!!

Thanks, C
For the time your gonna spend peeling that harness apart $350 isnt much IMO. Plus it will look cleaner and you can route it however you like.

If your still gonna do it yourself the place to start is with a wiring diagram. First throw out all the wiring you have that doesnt go to the ecm. Then pick through the ecm harness for unnecessary option you wont be running like AC idle up signal etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 83837
Doing the same exact thing - looking for the same exact info. Hopefully there is a good guide out there for ignition, crank and fuel wires.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Lil' John's TBI harness thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ht=tbi+harness

Bill USN-1:
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=45293
TBI FAQ:
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47254
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 154419

Those links are going to be a huge help! Thanks!
4wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
For the time your gonna spend peeling that harness apart $350 isnt much IMO. Plus it will look cleaner and you can route it however
Actually, most aftermarket harnesses force you into putting things where THEY want. They put things like the distributor timing plug where they want. You get a fixed trunk length. You are also forced to use all the accessories and ECM that the aftermarket made the harness was made for. MOST aftermarket harnesses do not have provisions for smog related equipment. This is based upon my experience with a painless harness.

There are many pinouts for the ECM plug. And that depends upon the ECM type.

The clean issue depends upon who is doing the modification on the harness. If the OP is patient, he can clean the harness up and loom it to look just as good as if not better than an aftermarket harness.

One benefit of using the stock harness that came with the engine is one knows the engine ran with the harness.

Playing with a TBI harness is about as easy as it comes. There are a few systems as shown in the linked article. The hardest part is the fact that some of the systems are tied together.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 103621
See if you can get your hands on the COMPLETE wiring harness manual from a dealer or EBAY or friend, ect. My book is around 200 pages. Hopefully you labeled which connector went where, and just start removing the wires from the labeled accessories you wont need. I left the engine harness alone for the most part. I grabbed the specific wires I need to run my Summit Gauges, and that was about it. When I installed my '93 CPI, i did this and ran every accessory that I needed on switched relays and fuses. I run an E2000 external fuel pump and swapped out the 4l60e to a th350. The only thing I have switched from the original harness is ECM, headlights and a push button start. Everything else was removed. I think a TBI only needs like 4 or 5 wires to start and run. Search for Crash, as he has done several 4.3l swaps and does very very clean installations.

1982 Toyota 4x4 - [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774031&highlight="]The Dirt Squirrel[/URL]: Phase II underway: 4.3L CPI, TH350, Toy 2.28/D300 OTT doubler, D60/14B/5.13s, f150 RUFs, artec linked rear, Profender c/o's, 44" Skinny Boggers, fool hydro...

1992 Dodge D350 Cummins tow whore
1979 Toyota Hilux 2wd DD with a 2rz. Turbo coming soon.

Last edited by the_white_shadow; 05-10-2010 at 01:34 PM.
the_white_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dana 44 Polisher

Member # 13731
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_white_shadow View Post
. I think a TBI only needs like 4 or 5 wires to start and run. .
Run yes. Run correctly NO. You need a lot more wires to make it work correctly. BUT using the directions linked above it will take you about 1-2 hours to clean up the harness and another 2 hours to wire it up to the vehicle. It is SO EASY - don't waste your money on an after market harness that doesn't have all the options you may need.

My TBI system in my Scout had a knock sensor, speed sensor and full OBD1 diagnostic plug capability - it was like it was still in a Suburban... Try that with an aftermarket setup...
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote