SM465/NP241 bad fluid leak at adapter - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Plan B

Member # 101635
SM465/NP241 bad fluid leak at adapter

Maybe I just don't know enough about chevy drivetrain parts, but I always assumed that tranny to t-case adapter would be empty (i.e. no fluid in it) but some friends have been telling me differently, perhaps someone can shed some light.

Here is my problem. I have a 465 mated to a 241 with a stock adapter in between and a clocking ring from DIY4x4 sandwiched in between the adapter and t-case. I am leaking gear oil (tranny fluid) from the clocking ring union like crazy (actually have a steady stream coming out at one point today). So I have 2 questions........is there supposed to be gear oil inside the adapter, and if so, what's the best way to seal around the clocking ring? I've tried RTV.....twice and no luck. Perhaps some paper gaskets and RTV?

Like I said, I figured that the adapter would be empty and that the gear oil would be retained inside the tranny, so this is news to me.
Giviner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 84454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giviner View Post
Maybe I just don't know enough about chevy drivetrain parts, but I always assumed that tranny to t-case adapter would be empty (i.e. no fluid in it) but some friends have been telling me differently, perhaps someone can shed some light.

Here is my problem. I have a 465 mated to a 241 with a stock adapter in between and a clocking ring from DIY4x4 sandwiched in between the adapter and t-case. I am leaking gear oil (tranny fluid) from the clocking ring union like crazy (actually have a steady stream coming out at one point today). So I have 2 questions........is there supposed to be gear oil inside the adapter, and if so, what's the best way to seal around the clocking ring? I've tried RTV.....twice and no luck. Perhaps some paper gaskets and RTV?

Like I said, I figured that the adapter would be empty and that the gear oil would be retained inside the tranny, so this is news to me.
Yes, there is supposed to be gear oil in the adapter.

Your problem is the clockin g ring. In general, they suck balls - they're too thin to have the necessary rigidity to seal properly. Your best bet is paper gaskets and Right Stuff, or paper gaskets and Hylomar.

Actually, your best bet is to shitcan the clocking ring and redrill your adapter if you want your t-case clocked up....
MaxPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 04:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 67935
actually acording to RTV your not even supposed to use rtv with papar gaskets they make gasket dressing for that.

imo i would use either right stuff, cut your own either out of beer/soda box, or cork
Old 07-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Plan B

Member # 101635
alright, thanks guys. If the gear oil is supposed to be in there I will probably just redrill the adapter and get rid of the clocking ring.......too much of a pain in the ass to worry about having two different sealing surfaces.
Giviner is offline   Reply With Quote