Triple X'n the D-max - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 147000
Triple X'n the D-max

So I figured I would also post up my build using Toby's SAS kit from triple X Traction. I will be using a 78 Ford Dana 60 axle for my build instead of the 05 and newer Superduty axle. I am also planning on 4 Linking the back instead of leaf springs so hopefully I can shed some light on things tried that dont work by the end of this project and help save some people some money and time! LoL!

Here are some pics of the truck. Unfortunately I started off with a 8" Fabtech thinking that was a cool thing to do back in 05 when I bought my truck brand new. I am now doing like so many others and fixing the weak link in GM's grand idea of a "HD" truck.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 147000
Here are some pics of the truck with the Fabtech IFS lift and 3" body lift both are off now.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 85510
please tell me your pulling off the buttsex wheels

www.Dixiecrawlers.com
TN-D90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 147000
The clocking ring that came with the 273 transfercase leaves a little to be desired. I pulled my studs from my 263 thinking I would reuse those but they are metric and the adapter ring came with standard 3/8" 16 threads so I got some automotive studs from Ace Hardware. You also have to oblong a whole on the allison trans for the 6th stud to be used. I have the clocking ring pictured with the studs in the location used to run Toby's skid plate it allows for more adjustment if you were to use some other type of link bracket setup.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 147000
Hmm... buttsex wheels... Lmao I take it you don't like the "ROCKSTARS". To each there own I guess. You are the first person to complain about those wheels. Thanks for your input. Maybe you will like the wheels on my buddies Avalanche. I see you have a "Megacab" the Avi has a Cummins and a 60.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 142211
First person to complain? Must be new here...

Why is your Sig bass ackwards? Black smoke means you are over fueling, and that could be considered broken...
Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 42023
that avalanche is horrid. i hope it burns
Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDuradog View Post
Hmm... buttsex wheels... Lmao I take it you don't like the "ROCKSTARS". To each there own I guess. You are the first person to complain about those wheels. Thanks for your input. Maybe you will like the wheels on my buddies Avalanche. I see you have a "Megacab" the Avi has a Cummins and a 60.
Black smoke....Really now.. I guess im not a cool cool cat cause my oil burner has one stack that doesnt spew black smoke
Do yourself a favor find a guy in da hood to buy your wheels.Even by ghetto standards your rockstars are so 8 years ago...

That avacramp is classic..Ghetto wheels and bolt on crap with a huge by wide stack..Hardcore puller is he..I guess it doubles to pull the trailers in the trailer park in the back ground..
Old 01-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 141951
Quote:
Originally Posted by confederate muscle View Post
that avalanche is horrid. i hope it burns
X2

I think you and your pal should stick to the malls and crawl over a few more curbs
countryboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 92930
Your going to catch a lot of shit for putting up a street truck build on a hardcore 4x4 forum

Just a heads up
78stepsideUAK10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 147000
Thanks for the info. I had found choppermans thread on here thats what finally got me to spend the money to straight axle the front and thought I might have some good info when I build the back 4 link setup since most guys keep the leaf springs. I suppose if nothing else it will give people something to laugh at

You are right I don't plan to rock crawl or extreme offroad it. I do plan to go to Silver Lake sand dunes up on Lake Michigan I enjoy that type of offroading because I don't like to clean off mud or get dents in my truck. LoL! Sand is fun in the Dmax and on the dirtbike.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 40308
Stacks? Reeeeeally?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 150291
I got all excited when i saw a thread involving a dmax, then i got all bummed when i realized it was just an abortion gone wrong, maybe soon this place will have you straightened out buddy, i really hope that avalanche is a joke.. you dont really know that guy do you?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46175
Can you tell me more about your 273 transfercase swap.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 147000
Hey I posted up my build to try and help others and gain helpful insight on things that I need to change to do the build correctly. SInce it is an abortion gone wrong then fill me in on what you think is wrong with the build I propose to do? Thanks for the info.

The 273 Tcase was recommended to me by Toby at Triple X. He has a builder that supplys the Tcase to him built and ready to go to mate up to the allison. I was told the input shaft is changed to except the allison output shaft. They put in the VSS so it is plug and play with my facory harness. The 4wd shift motor also bolts onto it as well so I can still use my push button 4wd. The adapter/clocking ring allows you to be able to clock the T-case down and bolt it up to the transmission.

The 273 to me seemed like a great choice. Larger case, more less bolts up, and its plug and play with my wiring. The other nice thing is it clocks down for front driveshaft angle and it eliminates both of my slip yokes so I can have the slip in the drive shaft where it needs to be.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 113084
Chrome rockstars are ugly as fuck.
leeman1790 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Drunk Off Pancakes

Member # 159011
One of the few I've heard of using a clocking ring to create MORE clearance issues... Specially in sand, or you like gittin' stuck? Cuz me an shovels ain't pals...
Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 138801
Jeez enough with the Flaming of the rims and stacks and shit ... sure they aren't my choice but fk this guy is actually going to build up his dmax not just put on some new shock boots lol... I want to see this sas build so carry on

Last edited by geo in a K5; 01-31-2011 at 12:12 AM.
geo in a K5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 42023
the 271/273 is a beast and you should be fine, I say SHOULD...i did the same thing in my truck except i have a 6.0 gasser and a 6l90e, the case is big as hell and heavy to boot, i redid all my drivelines to fit and once it was all said and done, i fried two in a matter of months. soemthing wasnt right, not sure if i got a bad case or what. but i was getting my cases from the guy that toby and trevor were both getting theres from.....he was very helpful but in the end for my application...i bastardized a 241 with a dodge input and its been fine ever since.

maybe mine was a one off deal, but jsut because it has a 17,000 gvw, doesnt make it indestructible...also...its still a cast housing. (aluminum/mag...whatever it is)

either way, should be solid when done
Old 01-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 168414
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo in a K5 View Post
Jeez enough with the Flaming of the rims and stacks and shit ... sure they aren't my choice but fk this guy is actually going to build up his dmax not just put on some new shock boots lol... I want to see this sas build so carry on
X2 on this.. atleast he sounds like he knows what he's doin very interested in it keep it comin
Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 135902
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryblack View Post
Black smoke....Really now.. I guess im not a cool cool cat cause my oil burner has one stack that doesnt spew black smoke
Do yourself a favor find a guy in da hood to buy your wheels.Even by ghetto standards your rockstars are so 8 years ago...

That avacramp is classic..Ghetto wheels and bolt on crap with a huge by wide stack..Hardcore puller is he..I guess it doubles to pull the trailers in the trailer park in the back ground..
the wheels may not be your choice, and slightly over-sold...but they are used all over the off-road community. every seen this rig before?

bonedust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 127442
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-LUX View Post
X2 on this.. atleast he sounds like he knows what he's doin very interested in it keep it comin
X3 id like to see this thing built...whats dont to the truck performance wise?
Ford rules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12370
For all you that just wanna talk shit... Cory is a smart dood, and knows what he's talking about. He's looking for input about the build, not his choice of wheels or other stupid shit like that, and also wanting to share his experiences to possibly help other people in the future... so chill the fuck out!
Preview of things to come.... He's using a different axle, but you'll get the idea.
Attached Images

Last edited by mrtwstr; 01-31-2011 at 05:48 PM.
mrtwstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 147000
Thanks for the input on the T-case countryboy22 I went with this case for the same reasons you stated and tried to research up on them for known issues and didn't real find much unlike all the pump rub issues the 263's have that this case is replacing. They give a 1 year unlimited warranty so hopefully if something is to go bad it will do it in that amount of time.

As far as the VSS trkklr77 it was plug and play meaning my GM connector plugged into a GM style sensor in the tail of the 273 Tcase. As far as I can tell I only have 1 vehicle speed sensor on my Dmax it is a 05 LLY with the 5 speed Allison. There was no splitting of wires or anything like that or unused plug ins same for the 4wd motor that changes the speeds in the Tcase bolted on. You could see where they thread the case for the bolt pattern to line up but the shaft that the motor went on was the same. I assume this is because the 263 is a (New Venture Gear or New Process Gear or whatever they are not even sure how that works) and so is the 273. Would be nice if they would stick to 1 style of input shaft splines 29, 31, 32 don't really care as long as they would just uniform it. LoL!

Performance mods to answer Ford rules. Nothing major really...

-True Flow foam air filter
- Shimmed the relief valve on the fuel rail shut so I dont get limp modes for rail pressure drops.
- I built the trans myself Red Eagle Alto power pack clutches transgo shift kit and a 5star Triple lock converter from ATS.
- Custom EFI Live tune a friend and I built at his performance shop. He has an engine dyno and has a LLY engine someone was going to use in a Helicopter project and then scrapped the idea so he bought the complete low mileage engine to do testing on.
- Power rating for the motor is about standard for any turned up D-max. The EFI Live cal made 511hp/1118 lb/ft of torque on the test mule(crank horsepower) which is indetical to my LLY stock everything pistons, turbo, injectors, injection pump. ALl factory.

His shop is called Technical Services they do a massive variety of stuff with Delphi ECM's they have source code so they can manipulate the ECM's to control anything from Four wheel sterring on monster trucks to suspensions sensors on pulling trucks to calculate what type of fources are acting on different components of the drive train.

My order of Superior Axle and Gear stuff came in tonight I didnt spring for CV axles but I hope these Made In the USA axles hold up to what I want to do. Went with 35spline outers and orderd a set of Dynatrack lockouts.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.