Chevy LUV Prerunner - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock Hard

Member # 108831
Send a message via MSN to PyroZuki Send a message via Yahoo to PyroZuki
Question Chevy LUV Prerunner

Have any of you guys built a Chevy Luv Prerunner? I have the power plant (L67 Supercharged) and trans for a 1980 2wd, but I need ideas for the front suspension. I would like to keep it in the MODIFIED class at best. Any info would help, thanks!

* For the flamers, I've searched EVERY thing possible for LUV, so

Pyro

99 4Runner TRD Super Charged 3.4L LTD
08 Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7L
Click for Toyota Parts!

ADVANCED TUBEKRAFT

Last edited by PyroZuki; 03-14-2011 at 06:08 AM.
PyroZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 108439
a late 80s or an early 90's toyota is about the same size, if you go with a 2wd IFS setup it should come somewhat close to matching up. could do a bastardized lift with junkyard springs to give you the lift ...

what do you guys think?
nckwnchstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock Hard

Member # 108831
Not bad. 2wd Yota IFS in the front, rear axle and leaf springs from same truck in the rear might make for some good travel.

Pyro

08 Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7L
Click for Toyota Parts!

ADVANCED TUBEKRAFT
Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 147891
ranger ttb thir is a large following with them and prerunners lots of after market parts
mog-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock Hard

Member # 108831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mog-10 View Post
ranger ttb thir is a large following with them and prerunners lots of after market parts
I didn't really think about runnin Ranger front suspension, I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Pyro

08 Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7L
Click for Toyota Parts!

ADVANCED TUBEKRAFT
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 108439
would it be feasible to run a D35 TTB, and gut the inners, cap the ends, and shave the diff and plate it? would want to keep the front as light as possible, and still keep it 2wd as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 130014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckwnchstr View Post
would it be feasible to run a D35 TTB, and gut the inners, cap the ends, and shave the diff and plate it? would want to keep the front as light as possible, and still keep it 2wd as well.
good idea, it'd look jsut like the old ford scissor beam 2wd race trucks of old...tons of wheel travel.

also,

a Luv Pyro? really?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 91791
Send a message via AIM to g-wizz
how legit of a prerunner are we talking about.

if a truck with total chaos kit and flared fenders is prerunner to you then buy a kit figure out how to mount it. i wouldnt even mess around with 4x4. its just going to complicate everything and it wont help you go fast.

no matter what you do with you choice of car you have NO aftermarket support, and to do this right and safely you either have to be able to fab or pay someone else to do it.

beam it with coilovers in the front and throw some deavers in the back with some smooth bodies,that plus a cage, good seats and harness's should be more than enough fun for you to handle in the desert. the more motor the merrier but thats up to you cause built motor= built tranney,= built axle. pay the cash to have someone tune your shocks when your done building it if you cant figure out how to your self, same with spring rates. dont do anything stupid like expect your coilovers to be bumpstop/limit straps. build everything with the mentality of "how screwed am i if this breaks while im hauling ass..." try not to build to heavy of a rig cause thats just going to break parts as well. the price of desert type driving directly correlates to how fast you plan to be driving.. so basically really fun is also really expensive.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock Hard

Member # 108831
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULLYOTA View Post
good idea, it'd look jsut like the old ford scissor beam 2wd race trucks of old...tons of wheel travel.

also,

a Luv Pyro? really?
It's just sittin in my garage, takin up space

Pyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-wizz View Post
how legit of a prerunner are we talking about.

if a truck with total chaos kit and flared fenders is prerunner to you then buy a kit figure out how to mount it. i wouldnt even mess around with 4x4. its just going to complicate everything and it wont help you go fast.

no matter what you do with you choice of car you have NO aftermarket support, and to do this right and safely you either have to be able to fab or pay someone else to do it.

beam it with coilovers in the front and throw some deavers in the back with some smooth bodies,that plus a cage, good seats and harness's should be more than enough fun for you to handle in the desert. the more motor the merrier but thats up to you cause built motor= built tranney,= built axle. pay the cash to have someone tune your shocks when your done building it if you cant figure out how to your self, same with spring rates. dont do anything stupid like expect your coilovers to be bumpstop/limit straps. build everything with the mentality of "how screwed am i if this breaks while im hauling ass..." try not to build to heavy of a rig cause thats just going to break parts as well. the price of desert type driving directly correlates to how fast you plan to be driving.. so basically really fun is also really expensive.
As far as how legit, we're not talkin Chaos kit, or fiberglass body. I'll roll the front fenders, and skin the bed. We can weld, and we can fab (not sayin we're the best, by ANY means), so we're just lookin to get ideas for the front suspension. I think nckwnchstr has probably nailed it. As far as coil overs, I'd love to run them, but then we're runnin the pro class, when we can be competitive in the Modified.

Thanks,
Pyro

08 Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7L
Click for Toyota Parts!

ADVANCED TUBEKRAFT

Last edited by PyroZuki; 08-01-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 91791
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZuki View Post
It's just sittin in my garage, takin up space

Pyro

As far I how legit, we're not talkin Chaos kit, or fiberglass body. I'll roll the front fenders, and skin the bed. We can weld, and we can fab (not sayin we're the best, by ANY means), so we're just lookin to get ideas for the front suspension. I think nckwnchstr has probably nailed it. As far as coil overs, I'd love to run them, but then we're runnin the pro class, when we can be competitive in the Modified.

Thanks,
Pyro
go to racedesert and check their forums for ideas. the debate is going to be between a arms/j arms and ford i beams for trucks. dont get me wrong A arms are the best suspension in an ideal situation, but for the simplest and strongest way to get big travel use ford styled I beams. its up to you, you can make them from scratch, make them from stock stuff, or even use just the stock stuff. im sure some full size equal length beams would work great on a small bodied truck like the luv. to get the steering right is kindof a bitch, best way is a swing set steering, but there are plenty of people who run the stock split tie rod or what ever you want to call it and get by ok.
just so you know there is a reason why most pre runners run glass, besides the fact that *nearly* all pre runner trucks have an increased track width, also usually at full bump the tires are up where the stock fenders/hood are or used to be. you cant really roll a fender to clear that. think of it this way, your never going to fit a 35" tire on a lowered truck simply by rolling or trimming the fenders, and thats basically what your doing with any desert truck when you increase up travel.

when did this change from a pre runner to a race car?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 91791
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckwnchstr View Post
why? the stock 2wd stuff is lighter than the 4x4 stuff? that and all 4x4 beams are unequal length.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 108439
the truck was never meant to run anything over 31's, the rig is going to be built / designed to run something like this. http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=920387 not to run the Baja 1000 or KOH, or anything like that. we cant really call it either a pre-runner or a race car. we do plan on putting it through some abuse so we need it to be durable and to take the abuse we'll be putting it through.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
ttt

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs http://www.12voltguy.com/
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock Hard

Member # 108831
Well, the truck has been sold. It's now in WY, and is expected to be 4wd with a LD5 engine. I'll talk the new owner into postin progress.

Pyro

08 Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7L
Click for Toyota Parts!

ADVANCED TUBEKRAFT