Pirate 4x4 banner

K5runner's Blazer Rebuild thread

523K views 2K replies 187 participants last post by  chappysfj60 
#1 ·
So I'm over selling it (for now)
I never had a build thread so I figure I start one. Here is a list of whats on it now (copied from the for sale section). I will include as many pics as I can.

79' K5 blazer, Green sticker-ed (Offroad reg)
Block is a 69' 454 with the 1" oil port on top of the filter mount (Hi nickel block)
496" 454 stroker forged internals Accel DFI EFI aluminum heads full roller valve train Dyno tuned
2" headers to 3.5" collector to dual 3" exhaust to 2 1 chamber flowmasters
sm465 with dual disc clutch
203-205 all 32 spl
Both drive shafts have .25" wall DOM tubing and are 1350 spicer life joints
16" x 2.5" triple rate sway a way coil overs
2" x 4" king bumps
17" travel front and 20" rear
Nitrogen tank
Cooler mount
5 gal gas can mount (can included)
Cage made with 1.5" tubing with the lower main part that goes around the bottom being 1.75" .25" wall Dom.
Chevy D60 4.88's Detroit lockers Stock non neck-down inners 35 spl Yukon 4340 outers
MM SS hubs but have drive flanges if wanted
14 Detroit 4.88s discs
4-link rear 3-link w/panhard front 1.25" heims
lower links are .25" wall chromoly
PSC full hydro with hydro boost brakes with 9/16" ARP studs and lug nuts for the arms
-06 pressure lines, -08 return, -10 supply to pump
20 gal aluminum fuel cell **1" breather for dump can**
Weldon fuel pump with pre and post filters
-08 fuel lines,-06 return
rear sway bar ~1.5" with 1/2" heims
40" MTR's, 40"MTR's with 7-paddles
Allied monster bead locks
38" aluminum radiator (truck runs at 170* all day long at Glamis/Pismo)
dual core engine oil cooler with fan
big ass power steering cooler
8K warn winch
tuffy center console
beard seats
storage box for tools/spares
oil can rack for 12 quarts
Auto meter gauges (oil press, water temp, fuel level, volts, 5" Tack)
Battery cut off switch
Painless 8 circuit switch panel
4 HID sol tek lights
2 KC daylighters
Fiberglass front fenders
Grill has been shortened 18" and the rear of the front fenders are ~6" narrower.
High lift with mount on roof
spare tire held in with Mac straps

Well after TDS I broke the pinion, and noticed a crack in the frame. The front axle had a slight :)D) bend in it. So I got a new to me housing and some tubing. I also cut the frame about 2" in front of the frame mounts for my lower front links. The front will be tubed and will have a fully trussed 60 with 70 gears. SO here are some pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
At full stuff(compression)

Some more pics of the front

You can see the engine cross member that I made (1.75" .25" wall) and I can still pull the oil pan out (if I drop down the panhard bar).

You can see that ARP 9/16" head studs (for something?) with lug nuts.

Attachments

#7 ·
I will, just noticed the tube that supports the ram is bent also. I put a straight edge to it and it's bent up 1/4" on each side.

I miss Glamis already.........I may be going April 1st.....:D
I'm planning on getting it done for a shake down run before Turkey Day and then to Glamis. You should stop by.

How wide is your chassis?
The cage was originally inside the cab. So the widest point is on the rear of the seats that's the same as the inside of the door jams.

#14 ·
About time you got a build thread together Jack... Had Jack over for dinner the other night and got to talking about the latest to come for this rig. Some really good ideas coming this way and can't wait to see the outcome. Stopped by his house today and saw extreme progress already being made. Looking forward to a ride when the next phase is completed.

#16 ·
This is what it looks like now.

I ordered the Jana 76 Kit, got my 4.88 Dana 70 gears, and waiting for my D70 Detroit. I also got some secret welding rod and a welding blanket.

Attachments

#87 ·
Wondering if we could compare notes...

Ya its some crazy hi tech stuff:flipoff2:.
Its Nickel rod for my stick welder.

Thanks, its just for the time being, I am still planning on building a complete chassis. This is just to "Fix" the little things, and to make it "Better". So that I can have a running truck while I build my new one. Oh, for sure the new truck will have a 14bolt front with 70 inners(I already have all the parts). The reason that I didn't run the 14 now is that too much shit would have to be redone to run a drivers drop. That's why I stayed with the 60 (I am running 70 gears though).

I'm curious...If you're already doing the Jana 76 deal, then why would you have a 14 bolt front planned for the future? Not knocking the concept at all...after all, I'm building my own driver's side drop 14 bolt front. But, I know what my reasoning was (Dana 60 ring & pinion let me down, I had a spare 14 bolt with the right gears and locker lying around, and I started on it before the Jana 76 kit was available....). Given that you've put so much effort into an outstanding truss job on the Dana 60 housing, why move away from that?

#17 ·
Some pics of the one of the cracks I found (its on the pass side of the upper link mount on the axle). And a shot of my vergin D60 (acid dipped and ready for raping) and the grinding that I did on the inside of the housing. And my Specail tools:smokin:

Attachments

#20 ·
Ya its some crazy hi tech stuff:flipoff2:.
Its Nickel rod for my stick welder.

Thanks, its just for the time being, I am still planning on building a complete chassis. This is just to "Fix" the little things, and to make it "Better". So that I can have a running truck while I build my new one. Oh, for sure the new truck will have a 14bolt front with 70 inners(I already have all the parts). The reason that I didn't run the 14 now is that too much shit would have to be redone to run a drivers drop. That's why I stayed with the 60 (I am running 70 gears though).

#28 ·
OOOHHH.... FLEXY.. :eek:
I see my sick toyota back there.... :shaking:

#29 ·
Okay so I've been working on this every chance I get usually after work for a few hours and at least on full day on the weekends. I moved the panhard bar around a little and finally got a good idea of how I'm going to brace it. I got the frame mocked-up but I waiting on geting the axle under there before I burn in the frame. I want to make sure I can get the 18+" of travel I'm after. So after I weld up the axle, I will figure out where the shocks will go and then cycle everything before welding in the frame and mounts. So I got most of the axle stuff spot welded with the panhard area fully welded. Tomorrow I will tighten the chains and perload the axle (Thank Richard) before fully welding in everything.

Here are a few pics.

My upper link (which is 2"x.25" DOM) that I had to bend (that bent two pins on my bender) to clear the frame and motor mount.

My new knuckles from Crane

There is some of the parts I got, C&M Apco18 bushings for the spindle and for the upper kingpin, the Jana76 kit, the new spindle hardware, also in the pics are the spring eleminator that I will build with some 3/4" set screws and a 1/2" think washer.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.