Has anyone narrowed a GM 14 Bolt, 11.5" with FF axles? (Show Pics) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 155940
Arrow Has anyone narrowed a GM 14 Bolt, 11.5" with FF axles? (Show Pics)

Im thing of using a 14 bolt FF but need to narrow it about 12" for my application . Anyone have experience with doing one? Please show pictures
Jzepol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 126111
personally i have never seen it. i think it could be done w/ the none tapered 30 spline axle shafts being cut down and re splined. or custom axle shafts. just my $.02. try it and let us know how it goes. and take pics....we all like pics!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 184984
BRORSAM has done it at least twice. He will be posting some pics sometime soon.
Twinturbo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
I narrowed one down for a CJ-5 and used Moser shafts.
Corey Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 155940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Young View Post
I narrowed one down for a CJ-5 and used Moser shafts.
How did you do it? Did you sleeve the axle tube or did you do it some other way? Can you show me some pictures?
Jzepol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Limestone Cowboy

Member # 186604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinturbo496 View Post
BRORSAM has done it at least twice. He will be posting some pics sometime soon.
Not quite. Everything I've done was on a 14 bolt 10.5" full floater. I suspect the 11.5 is probably similar in many respects though.

I've built a 14 bolt steer axle where I lengthened the long side tube with an internal splice. I've also built a 14 bolt rear with the center section offset 6 inches to the passenger's side, also with internal splices in the axle tubes. Obviously the steer axle required custom inner shafts, but for the offset rear I just swapped the shafts side to side. (Remember, there's a long shaft and a short shaft in the 10.5, with about a 6" difference in their lengths.)

Not sure about an 11.5, but I've seen two different styles of spindles in the 10.5" 14 bolt housing. One is a butt-ugly forging that's inserted into the axle tube and welded in place. The other is a rather nice looking formed piece that's friction welded to the axle tube. (I've seen both types on the same housing once.)

Jzepol16:

Taking 12" off the housing might actually be fairly straightforward if the 11.5 has the "ugly" spindle forgings. Seems like you could hack the ends off of the housing, chuck them in a lathe to save the spindle forgings, then re-insert the forgings and weld everything up. You would avoid the internal splices altogether.

As for axle shafts---you could go with a new pair of custom shafts. Or, if the 11.5 is like the 10.5 and has one shaft 6" shorter than the other---you could turn the short shaft into your new long side shaft, and then just have one custom shaft made up (6 inches shorter than the existing short side shaft). But don't take my word as gospel here---take the measurements, and double check EVERYTHING before cutting up any otherwise perfectly good parts.

I'll try to get pictures of the two different spindle styles to help illustrate the difference.
BRORSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Limestone Cowboy

Member # 186604
14 bolt 10.5 spindle pictures

Not sure, but I'd expect the 11.5 to be similar. Maybe you could put a small mirror through the spindle to inspect the back side, and confirm whether it resembles one of these?

The two types, side by side:

The "ugly" spindle:

The nicely formed spindle:

Those two "rings" on the inside of the tube are leftover flash from the welding procedure---a dead giveaway of the friction welding process.

I'm thinking that if your spindles are the "ugly" type, hacking them off of the tubes plus a little exploratory machining should free them from the axle tube in such a fashion that they could be reused. If yours are the formed type, a splice inside the tube would probably be the way to go.
BRORSAM is offline   Reply With Quote