KOH Stock Class - Really Stock LJ Build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
KOH Stock Class - Really Stock LJ Build

Here is the platform... a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ). I have made no progress since purchasing the vehicle one week ago, other than planning the build and getting it weighed. Tear down will start this week and I will try to post my progress, but time is severely limited to be pimping my Pirate build thread. The Currie/Savvy LJ build certainly makes me envious, and I'm sure will work well, but I don't have a budget or plans to do anything like that to my Jeep. My goal is simply to pass the technical inspection and start racing! Anyone looking to Co-drive in this class? I'm also still looking for any interested sponsors... we're running about $6k short on our budget at this time.

Name:  2006 LJ - Day One - 11-19-11 001.jpg
Views: 6011
Size:  95.7 KB

Name:  HP0063.jpg
Views: 5875
Size:  19.9 KB
I was actually surprised how light the Jeep was in its stock form.

1880lbs - Front
2140lbs - Rear
4020lbs - Total GVW

Plans include:

Stock 4.0L Motor, Stock 42RLE Trans, Stock Tcase
Safety Equipment to pass technical inspection
Dynatrac Pro-Rock Dana 60 Front. 35-spline, Chromoly, Yukon slugs, Detroit
Moser Dana 60 Rear. 35-spline, Chromoly, Semi-Float, Strange Spool, Disc Brakes.
5.5" Suspension Kit - TBD
Trailready 15x10 Beadlocks
35x13.5-15" BFG Krawlers
Vanco Hydroboost
Body Armor

2013 Dirt Riot National Champions - Ultra4 Stock Class #4678

Thank you to our sponsors already committed to the 2014 season: Four Corners 4x4, M.O.R.E., Superchips, Yukon Gear & Axle, Olympus Offroad, New York Blower, Clayton Offroad Manufacturing, Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts, Off Again 4x4, Durango Custom Works, Southwest Appliance, Cal Steel & Sheet Metal, Durango Muffler & Brake, & Grandview Land Holdings
FC4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Send a message via AIM to DOUG38S
What do you have in mind for co driving? I was going to build one for this class but want to focus more on the main race and the race car. I wouldn't mind a little co dogging. Sounds like fun.
BIGELOW MOTORSPORTS #4413
DOUG38S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
Well, I've never really written it down, but here goes. I thought it would be easier to get a co-dawg from my group of wheeling friends here, but it's all work-this and money-that from the three folks I've talked to.

1) Someone who can commit to being on the lakebed starting Friday morning, February 3rd and can stay through the race on Sunday, the 5th.

2) Must have a valid driver's license.

3) Must have experience in driving and spotting in the rocks.

4) Must be in good physical condition to handle not only to riding in the Jeep for the duration of the race, but to pull winch cable for my low and long LJ on 35s.

5) Must have their own racing helmet & firesuit present at technical inspection and the race.

6) Should be able to operate a GPS & Race Radio.

7) Everyone's heard it... there's no free ride. I'm looking for someone who can help with the remainder of the entry fee and RV Rental (if they don't already have their own accomodations). Other plusses might be someone who could help supply or loan items which I do not yet have for the race, such as a vehicle to pre-run, a large screen GPS, in-car radio, winch, etc. I guess the total amount of monetary committment could vary widely depending on what else you can bring to the table. If you can provide a lot of gear, or a lot of time prior to the event money would be less of an issue. I am a little hesitant about getting a co-driver from the internet, but time is wearing thin. Final registration is due on 12/15/11.

Thanks for your interest... please PM me if this sounds reasonable.

Thank you to our sponsors already committed to the 2014 season: Four Corners 4x4, M.O.R.E., Superchips, Yukon Gear & Axle, Olympus Offroad, New York Blower, Clayton Offroad Manufacturing, Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts, Off Again 4x4, Durango Custom Works, Southwest Appliance, Cal Steel & Sheet Metal, Durango Muffler & Brake, & Grandview Land Holdings
Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 135104
I would be down but We won't be getting there in time, plus like so many others I just don't have the money to throw around to be a co-bitch lol. We are starting a build of our own for next years every man challenge.

Which brings up the question... How the hell do after market 60s qualify your rig as being a "really stock LJ" lol. Not saying I wouldn't do the same If I had the funds, but the title isn't so fitting in my opinion. I fully expected a D30 front 44/8.8 rear or some type of junkyard axles. Props to you for having a big check book but its a shame to see this class already turning into a $50,000 rig event. The goal of this was to keep it cheaper and smaller so "every man" willing would have a shot.

Im not being rude or trying to call you out by any means, heck, yours is pretty stock compared to the Savvy build, but I think you understand my point. You are fully within the rules of the class so I say go for it if you can afford it.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4X4 View Post
1) Someone who can commit to being on the lakebed starting Friday morning, February 3rd and can stay through the race on Sunday, the 5th.

Was leaving MD on Wednesday. Probably getting in Saturday or Friday.

Unless they arrest me before I get to CA

Not a problem

4) Must be in good physical condition to handle not only to riding in the Jeep for the duration of the race, but to pull winch cable for my low and long LJ on 35s.

Not a problem

5) Must have their own racing helmet & firesuit present at technical inspection and the race.

I got extras if we need them.

Not a problem.

7) Everyone's heard it... there's no free ride. I'm looking for someone who can help with the remainder of the entry fee and RV Rental (if they don't already have their own accomodations). Other plusses might be someone who could help supply or loan items which I do not yet have for the race, such as a vehicle to pre-run, a large screen GPS, in-car radio, winch, etc. I guess the total amount of monetary committment could vary widely depending on what else you can bring to the table. If you can provide a lot of gear, or a lot of time prior to the event money would be less of an issue. I am a little hesitant about getting a co-driver from the internet, but time is wearing thin. Final registration is due on 12/15/11.

I'm not interested in paying your way. Its too much of a logistical nightmare of my own getting there with dollars and cents. I am interested in racing and helping a team race at a high level. If your interested in a guy thats done the KOH race once or twice (5 years now) I'd be interested. Might even have a sponsor or two that can help. Probably can help in other areas, pit support, etc but its shy of 10k to do the race right for us and that doesnt include getting the rig ready.

My resume: http://offroadpress.com/2011/11/spot...-doug-bigelow/

Bigelow
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 151416
Quote:
Well, I've never really written it down, but here goes. I thought it would be easier to get a co-dawg from my group of wheeling friends here, but it's all work-this and money-that from the three folks I've talked to.

Im guessing you dont know who Doug Bigelow is? LMAO!

Last edited by mwilken03; 11-28-2011 at 10:26 PM.
mwilken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133025
Doug, you're way overqualified, and FC4x4's 6K is probably a short estimate. He's got a great looking Jeep, and it would be fun for a while, but how long before you grabbed the wheel Doug?

Doug's focus in a race won't center on keeping your bodywork straight. Doug doesn't go to the races with a goal just to pass "tech". Doug gets in a car to win, not to joy ride, not to sightsee, not to come in second. Pick someone else, your Jeeps way too pretty to let Doug even near it.

FC4x4, don't get me wrong, Doug's a great guy, but if you last 11 miles before he rips your seatbelts apart, and throws you out of your Jeep, I'd be suprised.
easyspops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 80664
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyspops View Post
Doug, you're way overqualified, and FC4x4's 6K is probably a short estimate. He's got a great looking Jeep, and it would be fun for a while, but how long before you grabbed the wheel Doug?

Doug's focus in a race won't center on keeping your bodywork straight. Doug doesn't go to the races with a goal just to pass "tech". Doug gets in a car to win, not to joy ride, not to sightsee, not to come in second. Pick someone else, your Jeeps way too pretty to let Doug even near it.

FC4x4, don't get me wrong, Doug's a great guy, but if you last 11 miles before he rips your seatbelts apart, and throws you out of your Jeep, I'd be suprised.
I disagree. Doug would be a great co-dawg to have for this race and has put in his time on the Hammer Trails. I could see the stock LJ being the biggest limiting factor in the decision due to limited test and seat time in a 'new' rig. Just pre-running with Doug could prove invaluable in this race.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Willys View Post

Which brings up the question... How the hell do after market 60s qualify your rig as being a "really stock LJ" lol. Not saying I wouldn't do the same If I had the funds, but the title isn't so fitting in my opinion. I fully expected a D30 front 44/8.8 rear or some type of junkyard axles. Props to you for having a big check book but its a shame to see this class already turning into a $50,000 rig event. The goal of this was to keep it cheaper and smaller so "every man" willing would have a shot.

Im not being rude or trying to call you out by any means, heck, yours is pretty stock compared to the Savvy build, but I think you understand my point. You are fully within the rules of the class so I say go for it if you can afford it.
Well, I've been running these aftermarket 60s in my POS trail rig for the last four or five years, which took me years and years to upgrade to. I do not have a "big check book". Quite the contrary, I would expect that I will be trying to run this race on one of the lowest budgets out there. Look at the Savvy build... there's no way that if you count all of the parts, fabrication, and experience that is going into that rig that it was done for only $50k.

My comments about really stock relates more to things like the body, motor, transmission, steering, etc... all of which have ZERO mods. I guess I consider 60s to be standard fare these days.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilken03 View Post
Im guessing you dont know who Doug Bigelow is? LMAO!
Nope... sure didn't... until after I posted! Oh well, it's spelled out now for anyone who is interested... we needed to start the discussion somewhere.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
Quote:

Doug is obviously over-qualified to co-drive for an in-experienced driver in the stock class. If he's interested in doing it for fun, or practice, or whatever though... I say more power to him!

I never said I could race for $6k. I said that I'm $6k short of my budget. I have about a $17k budget for both vehicle mods & the week of the race. After I subtract the money from the one local sponsor I have been able to attract and the money I'm putting in, I'm still falling $6k short.

Here's a quick shot of the body on my recently parted-out trail rig. I have no concerns about mechanical and body damage.

Name:  Jeep YJ Pictures before teardown 008.jpg
Views: 5652
Size:  99.6 KB

I never cared about the body on that thing and I have zero expectactions of bringing back my "new" LJ in one piece. I'm fine with both mechanical and body damage if it's in an effort to be competitive. I don't want anyone to think that I lack a competitive spirit... I am competitive, but realistic. If you think I'm going to be running in the front of the pack with a stock motor after starting 39th in the race... the first race of my life... I think you would be mistaken. I'm fine with that, but it doesn't mean I won't be working my ass off before and during the race. I'm trying to gain some seat time and experience to get started competing at a higher level. I went to KOH last year for the first time and was floored. I followed it up by helping out at BITD in Vegas. It quickly became apparent to me that I did not have the means to compete at this level and that's why I'm so excited Dave Cole put together stock class racing for this coming year.

I am glad I posted up and got the discussion moving!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggy View Post
i disagree. Doug would be a great co-dawg to have for this race and has put in his time on the hammer trails. I could see the stock lj being the biggest limiting factor in the decision due to limited test and seat time in a 'new' rig. Just pre-running with doug could prove invaluable in this race.
agreed!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Quote:

You crack me up. I seriously doubt it would be 11 miles. Probably the first 2.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
Welcome to the team, Doug. This is gonna rock!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Let's do this. Looking forward to making this LJ rock. If it works out like I think it is going to with sponsors this is going to be an absolute beast of machine. Looking forward to this as much as the main race.

First up. Bulldog Winch is on board as they have been with my team for a long time now. In a race that could be determined by who has the fastest winch I'm looking forward to putting the new Alpha Series line-up on the front of this LJ. Gonna be fun!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG38S View Post
I've got a great headlamp and have been eating Vitamin A supplements like M&M's to boost my night vision. I figure you can save $$$$ by eliminating the electrical system in your LJ.

Pick me!

Quote:

MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11961
The best co-drivers are good drivers. Just sayin.
Bigburlynakedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

Was that your headlamp I borrowed last year?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 82770
Glad to hear you guys are teaming up!
Pac Springs
Dynomax
King Shocks
Spidertrax

Last edited by lxh0318; 12-03-2011 at 12:47 PM.
lxh0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
Thanks, Loren. Started the teardown today...

Name:  LJ Teardown 1 001.jpg
Views: 5492
Size:  79.1 KB

Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Savvy Off Road

Member # 110540
You have a bunch of work to do in 61 days! Good luck and hope to see you on the lakebed!

Gerald

Click here for: SAVVY OFF ROAD
Provelogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42619
Send a message via AIM to ne14jpn
Quote:
I wish I NEVER did this to my '03
Miller Motorsports #4421
www.millerrockracing.com
ne14jpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14jpn View Post
I wish I NEVER did this to my '03
Why is that? BTW, will try to get you pics of that Supercharger tomorrow.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Because it was destroyed in less than three years.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 112905
should be interesting to see the results. good luck out there.
M&C_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote