Post race thoughts and information - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #26 (permalink)
We be scrap'n

Member # 200732
I've been desert racing out west for a few years now with Score and BITD, great organizations by the way. What just boggles my simple mind is that Dave had racing going on all week, not just a day or two. Everything was so organized and on schedule. I was in the group that didn't do very well in the LCQ, so I'm very thankful that Dave let us in. We finished !! This was the experience of a life time, being able to race with the "professionals" of rock racing.

So thank you Dave Cole and all your volunteers for putting on such a smooth event and letting my group of hillbillies have such a great time. See yens next year for sure.
Red Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3196
Thank YOU, Dave and HK.

This was by far the best year (my fourth) at KOH. There was action everyday all week (except Monday, so we preran), and having the addresses/gararge space for each racer was bad ass. Jumbo-tron, King of the Motos (holy FAWK!!!), EMC, etc.

See ya around the series this year, then we will be back in 2013.

Rob
UTV #1999

MJ Motorsports
yield2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #28 (permalink)
HeavyMetalConcepts

Member # 69807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Knoll View Post
Buy a bigger lens and move back.
I disagree this is a viable solution to places like Chocolate thunder to keep yellow out of pictures. I agree it is a solution to high speed sections.

With a long lens (telephoto) you'd have 150 yellow vests in 1-2 spots on the course at choco thunder all fighting for the same exact shot. this in and of itself breeds its own problem. variation in lens and position allows a spread of people getting different shots. is it a bummer having 15,000 yellow vests in all my video? sure...thankfully for my photos i know photoshop well enough ..but IMHO a media section set back would kill any exclusivity in content that existed before. my job revolves around getting good/exclusive video/photo content from races, so its hard for me to fall in line behind having a "generic media section set back", hopefully thats understandable.

media people butting up against the course in high speed whoop sections are not excersizing good judgment, i agree, and theres no excuse for that, and it is unacceptable. we set up in pummel pass and i was 150 feet or so from course with a telephoto for video. however i witnessed media people during qualifying within 10 feet of the whoops on the backside of chocolate thunder. they were too far off for me to say anything from my position and how i was situated (steep hill side). some media people have good judgment out on the course, and others have no judgment, some have shot ultra4 countless times and understand what their surroundings are, some have never set foot at an off road race before. im not an event promoter and dont claim to have the answers at all, but i dont feel as though a zero tolerance policy applied to all media to suffer the consequences is the solution. King of the Hammers racing provides a unique opportunity to media, and I would hate to see that severely limited.
-HeavyMetalConcepts on Facebook- Become a fan!
Team Videos/Design Advertising - Business Videos/Design Advertising
HeavyMetalXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6569
HK. , best race to date. It seemed from my perspective that is was the smoothest run yet. Their was a lot going on and the core of hk and the volunteers kicked ass. As far as CT goes I glad that you are post race holding the teams accountable that decided to disregard your drivers meeting rules regarding the high line. Be need to be accountable not just red cards from other drivers. Biggest point is best course to date

Last edited by Gunmetalcruz; 02-20-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Gunmetalcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Put numbers on media vests.

If someone is being a dumbass, they can be called out by number and not invited back.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #31 (permalink)
Feeling chuffed.

Member # 75214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

If someone is being a dumbass, they can be called out by number and not invited back.
Good idea.

Had a blast Dave. Thanks for the opportunity. Hopefully I'll be able to attend some more events this year.
Simon Slapstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 26750
Online coverage was light years ahead of previous races! Great job. I hope to be racing again next year.

Last edited by broncolou; 02-20-2012 at 10:03 AM.
broncolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #33 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

Excellent idea
Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #34 (permalink)
W.E.ROCK CEO

Member # 3123
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Rich
I know that at least one of the media guys that got to close during qualifying got a talking to - I hope he learned something before coming to one of our races, if I get the attitude I heard he has he will be tossed

Dave, Outstanding job on a grand event

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKROVER
4 wheeling sure changes when there is a crowd and cones.
http://www.werocklive.com
530-417-5333

http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-C-Klein/541920521
http://twitter.com/werocklive
http://www.myspace.com/daddyrocks

( @ Y @ ) ( * Y * ) ( . Y . )

Big Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #35 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 24027
Send a message via MSN to FSJ Man Send a message via Yahoo to FSJ Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss50 View Post

Showtrucks might be another good idea to have out here. I know myself and others that were tent camping would have paid a pretty decent price to take a shower or two in the week we spent out there.

Harley
The cost to have them there is so high I doubt you see this.
Greater love hath no man than this,that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
Awww... you guys are so cute when you get butthurt
RIP Will Higginbotham
FSJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #36 (permalink)
TRUCKER

Member # 105112
Thanks for the Great Coverage!!!

working,,android phone,,bluetooth Peterbilt stereo,,,Better coverage listening than when I was there in 2010!!!

Dare you to make it better
BRAZIL-LOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #37 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8108
Make media people qualify just like KOH racers. If they send in good photos during the year they can be on primary obstacles on course. If they do not qualify they can do desert duty. Just an idea.

Dave, it AMAZES me, and many others, what you have put together. I still have a hard time believing what you can assemble...in the middle of the desert!! I always have to put KOH in that context. Your accomplishment would be admirable in a big town with facilities available. The fact that you can put that level of show on on the lake bed is truly baffling. The level of organization and professionalism can not be matched.

It is a shame that you have to see the negatives and problems with the races, but I hope you can see the larger picture as well. We know that you need to deal with the issues, and they can be grating, but the overall success of the event far overshadows any small issues.

Keep your head up.

MADE IN AMERICA---and proud of it!!!

We also offer the best service and prices available on:
Advance Adapters
Clayton Offroad Suspension
Raceline beadlocks wheels
ORI struts and Radflo shocks

Last edited by zachv; 02-20-2012 at 10:33 AM.
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #38 (permalink)
Fabrication Nation

Member # 176241
This was my third year, 2nd as a vendor. The organization and planning this year was incredible.

Setting up this event soooo far from any running water, electriity etc, makes everything on the lakebed a challenge.

SHOWERS....we had 5 gallon water jugs at our booth and by day#3 people were buying them so they could take showers! We just had to set them in the sun till the water melted and warmed up a little
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Dave and HK. Freakin awesome putting it all together! I did not make down in 2011 and it's amazing to see the change between 09, 10 & 12!!! Wow!

Thanks again Dave for coming to our camp and telling me in person that we made the last LCQ spot. I don't know if you read my writeup in gen 4x4... but that was one of the coolest moments in my life to date! Thanks again Dave!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 8402
first off, huge thanks to everyone at hammerking and the volunteers that made not just KOH, but the whole week a huge success. Here are my thoughts, in cliff notes;

Having a race nearly everyday was awesome. There was never a lul for spectators or even members of race teams that wanted to go see some action. I hope King of the Motos is always during KOH week, and keeps growing.

The hammerking addresses and layout was awesome. It stopped all chaos before chaos could break out. Great work. Was there a vender list with their addresses? If not, that would have been helpfull.

The CT traffic jam- I know you have already voiced your input. I agree that spectators can not be put in harms way and that any drivers that did should be penalized. HOWEVER, I think there needs to be a bypass line for every "gate keeper". Even if the bypass line is twice as hard as the gatekeeper and everyone will have to winch. Atleast when the course went up backdoor, there were alternate winch lines. Having 20 some odd cars at the bottom of CT doesn't create more competition unless there are crazy stupid bypass lines.

Spectator control - HUGE 2 thumbs up on this one. As a racer, there was only 1 instance where I felt a spectator was too close, and that was on lap 2 when we crossed Boone Road. We new the crossing was coming, we slowed down. It was a good thing, as a dirtbike ripped across us heading into hammertown. As far as everywhere else on the course, including all the rock canyons, this is the best it has ever been and should be a benchmark for all events in the future. Again, this aspect of the people management was perfect, and the racers appreciate it.

The first 15 miles of the race course - You can't control the dust, we know it is a part of racing. You can however, control the race course. Running for the first 12 miles or so of the race into the sunrise compounded the dust problem. Perhaps next year you could set up the course to run west or northwest out of hammertown so the sun is at our backs while we dig through the dust and allow cars to space out. Even if it is a small 15 mile loop that gives the pack time to spreadout and then loop backaround. It could be a first lap only type of bypass.
Inviscid Motorsports #9009
Thanks to; Ironman Offroad - Motorcity Machines - Branik Motorsports
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #41 (permalink)
"Racing for Access"

Member # 86691
I gotta say the jumbotron was absolutely awesome!!! I was amazed how fast the days action was edited and up! Also as an og v2r guy, hell yeah on the gear bag!!!
KOH and BITD Competitor #4405
FISHMOUTH FABWORKS
MASTER-PULL Recovery gear
Pacific Fab, Ruffstuff Specialties, Reid Racing, Team Tube, Raceline Wheels, Goodyear Tires, Yukon Gear, 4130 Clothing, Blue Torch Fab, Artec, Bulldog, PRP, Concept Wraps

Last edited by TCARP1; 02-20-2012 at 11:39 AM.
TCARP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 8402
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigander View Post
first off, huge thanks to everyone at hammerking and the volunteers that made not just KOH, but the whole week a huge success. Here are my thoughts, in cliff notes;

Having a race nearly everyday was awesome. There was never a lul for spectators or even members of race teams that wanted to go see some action. I hope King of the Motos is always during KOH week, and keeps growing.

The hammerking addresses and layout was awesome. It stopped all chaos before chaos could break out. Great work. Was there a vender list with their addresses? If not, that would have been helpfull.

The CT traffic jam- I know you have already voiced your input. I agree that spectators can not be put in harms way and that any drivers that did should be penalized. HOWEVER, I think there needs to be a bypass line for every "gate keeper". Even if the bypass line is twice as hard as the gatekeeper and everyone will have to winch. Atleast when the course went up backdoor, there were alternate winch lines. Having 20 some odd cars at the bottom of CT doesn't create more competition unless there are crazy stupid bypass lines.

Spectator control - HUGE 2 thumbs up on this one. As a racer, there was only 1 instance where I felt a spectator was too close, and that was on lap 2 when we crossed Boone Road. We new the crossing was coming, we slowed down. It was a good thing, as a dirtbike ripped across us heading into hammertown. As far as everywhere else on the course, including all the rock canyons, this is the best it has ever been and should be a benchmark for all events in the future. Again, this aspect of the people management was perfect, and the racers appreciate it.

The first 15 miles of the race course - You can't control the dust, we know it is a part of racing. You can however, control the race course. Running for the first 12 miles or so of the race into the sunrise compounded the dust problem. Perhaps next year you could set up the course to run west or northwest out of hammertown so the sun is at our backs while we dig through the dust and allow cars to space out. Even if it is a small 15 mile loop that gives the pack time to spreadout and then loop backaround. It could be a first lap only type of bypass.
One last thing I forgot. This was a suggestion from my local board. I can't remember how many cameras were on the course for race day (I think 5?). His suggestion is that each camera had it's own unique IP, so the viewer at home could switch from one camera to the other in hopes to track down their favorite racer for the whole race, instead of only watching the one feed that jumped from camera to camera. I'm surethat would take a huge infrastructure to broadcsat 5 IPs, but I think it would be sweet for the web wheeler to be able to pick and choose the camera view and track a driver.
Inviscid Motorsports #9009
Thanks to; Ironman Offroad - Motorcity Machines - Branik Motorsports
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 158293
Unhappy

I have to agree on the media thing we had a good spectator spot at chocolate thunder we got there nice and early only to have 3-4 media guys stand right in our photo area they should be made to stay on other side of the spectator area or join us behind the the line I have probably 75-100took shots with a yellow jacket in the pic.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 114652
Location: palm desert ,ca 60mi to truckhaven 60mi to the Hammers
This was my 4th year at the KOH and this year was by far the best yet!!! Keep up the great work!!!
hammeredtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
HeavyMetalConcepts

Member # 69807
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojeep View Post
right in our photo area
What is your photo area? Is that the same area I worked to have a credential for for my accredited outlet?

Not to be abrasive (seriously, not trying to sound like an ass) but I am there doing a job that my livelihood relies on in full, KOH isnt a hobby shoot for me. To expect media to have to stand somewhere that doesnt affect you somehow, or to be in spectator areas defeats the entire purpose of approved event media.

I was a "media guy" standing in spectators way at times, I am sorry to hear people were potentially upset about it, but I am just doing my job. Its hard enough staying out of the way of the course and getting the shot I need during the day, while trying to stay out of the vision line of 5,000 spectators at any given second. I have 2000+ photos with yellow jackets in them in photos from my team, thats what happens when there are 260 media people at an event with a few hot spots. We have shot Ultra4 races a lot, if a yellow vest is in my way I move, or I just deal with it. I am honestly surprised it bothers people as much as it does, it was always something I just took in stride and figured was a nature of the beast.
-HeavyMetalConcepts on Facebook- Become a fan!
Team Videos/Design Advertising - Business Videos/Design Advertising
HeavyMetalXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #46 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigander View Post
suggestion is that each camera had it's own unique IP, so the viewer at home could switch from one camera to the other in hopes to track down their favorite racer for the whole race, instead of only watching the one feed that jumped from camera to camera. I'm surethat would take a huge infrastructure to broadcsat 5 IPs, ...
Awesome!!

I would be very interested in hearing Travis' take on this.
Ads could still be broadcast on all 5 IP's at the same intervals.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
Send a message via AIM to Roxywheels Send a message via Yahoo to Roxywheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalXJ View Post
What is your photo area? Is that the same area I worked to have a credential for for my accredited outlet?

Not to be abrasive (seriously, not trying to sound like an ass) but I am there doing a job that my livelihood relies on in full. To expect media to have to stand somewhere that doesnt affect you somehow, or to be in spectator areas defeats the entire purpose of approved event media.

I was a "media guy" standing in spectators way at times, I am sorry to hear people were potentially upset about it, but I am just doing my job. Its hard enough staying out of the way of the course and getting the shot I need during the day, while trying to stay out of the vision line of 5,000 spectators at any given second. I have 2000+ photos with yellow jackets in them in photos from my team, thats what happens when there are 260 media people at an event with a few hot spots. We have shot Ultra4 races a lot, if a yellow vest is in my way I move, or I just deal with it. I am honestly surprised it bothers people as much as it does, it was always something I just took in stride and figured was a nature of the beast.
Without people like Will, you would have no KOH video.

Cupcake Jihad!!!

I'm not a bitch, I just play one in your life
Roxywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #48 (permalink)
Feeling chuffed.

Member # 75214
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalXJ View Post

Not to be abrasive (seriously, not trying to sound like an ass) but I am there doing a job that my livelihood relies on in full, KOH isnt a hobby shoot for me. To expect media to have to stand somewhere that doesnt affect you somehow, or to be in spectator areas defeats the entire purpose of approved event media.

Well put Will. I apologize in advance for probably being in shot at Outer Limits..... Looking forward to seeing what you got.
Simon Slapstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 35949
KOH event mention on Adam Corolla's Carcast Podcast at 5min 55s. Not a big discussion but pretty damn sweet if you ask me.

http://www.adamcarolla.com/CarCastBl...s-pat-muldoon/
cdub350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 134321
Thank you Dave and HK! You guys are the best, I truly appreciate the opportunity to race! I hope everyone has donated towards save Johnson valley!

Please don't change the rules so my car can't race anymore, please "grandfather " in cars that raced prior years.
Ultra4 Racing #420
Sponsored by Rebel Off Road
OffRoadGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote