Post race thoughts and information - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
With the +50 EMC/LCQ teams in the big race, only driver/codawg still means 300+ people!

Great idea!
Broadcast was already possible and going out from Camelot on 102.1 on race day.
Just a matter of sending the tent PA feed to the transmitter.
Next year.... just ran out of time this year.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #77 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
Next year.... just ran out of time this year.
You kicked ass, Travis.
While there is always more you "could do", you hit all the must-do's out of the park.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 8402
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdw22 View Post
drivers meeting tent couldn't fit everyone in it.
the tent size was fine, it just needed a door on both ends. Too many people walked in the door, took 10 steps and stopped. The opposite corner of the tent was empty. trust me, I was standing there with no one around me. We had to sneak in and out of the back of the tent though, since we couldn't get in the main door
Inviscid Motorsports #9009
Thanks to; Ironman Offroad - Motorcity Machines - Branik Motorsports
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 36279
I was told that later too. I also heard of some people going to the front side away from the door and sticking their ear against the tent. But I wasn't that smart. Next year I will be early.
rockdw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 99902

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
DREWZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 160729
gotcha

thanks drewzilla
Merch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #82 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 18734
Cant say thanks enough. I think everything went great. Had a blast and couldnt ask for more.
Only thing I would like to see is a bit more room in the pits. Other than that great job team!
letzrolloffroad@gmail.com
All your Hardcore Crawling / Racing needs!
PSC Motorsports, 4340 Axle shafts (many brands) Custom or factory, Gears, Lockers, Yukon gear and axle, Reid racing, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Ballistic Fab, RuffStuff, 7075 t-6 links, Custom axles, 9'' 3rd members, Mads Smarty, Solid (spintec), Rock Krawler, Artec Industries, ADS racing shocks
jpcrawleram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #83 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcrawleram View Post
Cant say thanks enough. I think everything went great. Had a blast and couldnt ask for more.
Only thing I would like to see is a bit more room in the pits. Other than that great job team!

Ya, the pits were a little tight. I wonder if you guys could just add 20% to the size of every pit and just spread it over a little more of the drylake.

Then we could cram 3 more RV's in there and be just as packed in as this year .
X-Chassis #12
6 time KOH finisher
2008/2009 W.E. Rock West Coast Series Champion
2008 Pro Rock Champion
Just "HAMMER" it!!
My Buildup /forum/general-4x4-discussion/298203-desertoy-mustard-dog-build-pair-x-chassis.html

Last edited by desertoy; 02-21-2012 at 02:02 PM.
desertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #84 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Send a message via AIM to DOUG38S
Great event as usual wish I would have seen more. The jumbotron was awesome as well as the online converage!

Cons:
Going into the sun at the beginning like mentioned before.

Trash removal at the end. I seperated everything into recyclables and actual trash and when I went to drop the trash at the end of the week I was told no. Pack it out. Not going to happen for 2600 miles again. Got to NM and the birds got in the truck and tore it to hell making a mess.

More water trucks. It took all week to get pumped.

Pit space. I liked being camped down on the lakebed and talking with the fans and having people wander into camp. Just not enough room by the end of the week. Any chance of expanding the pit areas towards the East?

Fuggin theives. I got my golfcart jacked during the week Lovell will get his!!!!!!
BIGELOW MOTORSPORTS #4413
DOUG38S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 136053
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG38S View Post
Great event as usual wish I would have seen more. The jumbotron was awesome as well as the online converage!

Cons:

Trash removal at the end. I seperated everything into recyclables and actual trash and when I went to drop the trash at the end of the week I was told no. Pack it out. Not going to happen for 2600 miles again. Got to NM and the birds got in the truck and tore it to hell making a mess.

More water trucks. It took all week to get pumped.

Pit space. I liked being camped down on the lakebed and talking with the fans and having people wander into camp. Just not enough room by the end of the week. Any chance of expanding the pit areas towards the East?

Fuggin theives. I got my golfcart jacked during the week Lovell will get his!!!!!!
You sure it was Lovell who jacked it? Or was it just a matter of when you found it Lovell was driving it? I thought I heard someone else take credit for it? The kicker of the matter...no pun intended...was the one that took it walked right past it in the middle of the night on the corner of his street.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #86 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 906
the only thing i might mention----

wish all the food vendors were in an area like a 'food court'--- somewhere close to town square and the tron----- coffee/snacks/BBQ/ice cream , etc---- closer to the center of things, cause one bbq joint, which had some of the best, was kinda removed from the flow --- the coffee/chocolate place was in close, was SWAMPED all the time !!!!!

it would be better for them all, and us !

AND--- there were NO FUNNEL CAKES !!!!!!!!!!!

if a "general store" with household items, ie: kleenex, TP, and just some of the common items--- i think would do well !!! (maybe Kathryn from Lucerne ? )
*Cancer survivor since 02-06*
Grand Marshall -KOH 2012
"Dad' to some of the greatest kids EVER
I was around when Pearl Harbor was bombed !

Last edited by Krusty; 02-21-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 15084
Quote:

You better pack your lunch buddy!!! I'd rather go toe to toe with you than the real bandit. He about popped my eyes out giving me a bear hug.
SuperRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #88 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 197
2012 koh for me was huge... I want to race in the emc next year. New Rules cant come soon enough so I can get signed up and start building.

PS please make ORI's legal for the mod class

My only issue all week was not being able to read the map well enough. My bad. If you could give us what trails the competitors are running and what direction that would be HUGE. We ran trails all week long including sos "sick ass trail" and I finally got up back door... All I broke was a tie rod end. Anyway I never wanted to be in the racers way while they where prerunning and as soon as my 3 rig group heard "that sound" we where out of the way and cheering them on.... it was awsome... I was using the course markers to figure some of it out but it would be sweet to have difinitive trail names and directions at the entry gate.

The only other thing is mabye find a couple more rock spectator areas.... back door and CT where soooo packed... mabye a couple more spots would take some pressure off and help with some of the issues.

Mike
LADD Racing #82 NCRR soon to be in U4 in a 4500 car
Mike Ladd and co dawg Perry Hemre
Crew Chief Jim Wright, Assistant Raymond Wright
Club Jackass Wheelers
TTC 1999
BnTMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #89 (permalink)
Rockin' the Suburbs

Member # 122053
Quote:
Originally Posted by DREWZILLA View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
SICK! Can't wait. Anyone have any more info on the 4500 and 4600 classes racing this one (date of class race, registration forms, etc...)?
#4511 LetzRoll Offroad Racing
LetzRoll Offroad Racing / HigherGround4x4.com / ESAB Welding & Cutting - the Official Welding and Cutting products of LetzRoll Offroad Racing
Back to Back Dirt Riot Endurance Racing 4500 class National Champion 2012 & 2013 // AZ Undertaker
alanzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #90 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 80862
Great time for sure. I would have liked if the EMC race was longer, and or more rocks. 2 laps would have been great.

The food was great
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Quote:
Maybe we could kick out the UTV guys that didn't even have a race vehicle in their space, but came with three HUGE trailers and ran the two loudest generators I've ever heard the entire week 22.5 hours a day!

Last edited by Danger Ranger; 02-21-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Danger Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #92 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
Maybe we could kick out the UTV guys that didn't even have a race vehicle in their space, but came with three HUGE trailers and ran the two loudest generators I've ever heard the entire week 22.5 hours a day!
How do you really feel?
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #93 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11365
Words can't describe the magnatude or how well ran this years KOH was. Due to several tours into Afghanistan over the past several years, I have chosen to put my Competition Rock Crawling in the back seat and family upfront. However, even with 3 broken axle shafts, dragging my wife, twin daughters, 1 Rottweiller and 7 five week old puppies to Hammertown. Oh, and spending close to $70k between car, prep, trailer, etc so I could re-live my dream for one week in FEB. After all the family stress, pressure and long responsibility talks with my wife, "WE" have to decided to commit to the Ultra 4 2012 season and hopefully earn a spot in the 2013 KOH. It was great seeing a lot of you and I look forward to racing this season against you. God Speed
3) 2006 Jeep Rubicon LJ Unlimited, Tons, Atlas, 40" Maxxis, King Coil overs, (PTSD Therapy)
4) 2009 Dodge 3500 Diesel 4x4 (Tow Rig) (mine)

Last edited by Run dog; 02-21-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Run dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #94 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 50632
Quote:

Cons:
Driving into the sun was no big deal for Ben
Attached Images

www.alltechmotorsports.com

wayne@alltechmotorsports.com new e-mail address!

Congratulations to Alltech customers
Erik Miller, 2012 KING of the Hammers
Rick Mooneyham 2012 2nd place
John Currie/Gerald Lee 1st place EMC
Derek West for 4 pole positions in 2012
And all our customers who finished or took
the green flag!
ZukIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #95 (permalink)
Drinking Rum

Member # 101680
Send a message via MSN to napsta
Nice one Dad!
napsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #96 (permalink)
buy my AR Parts

Member # 108848
It was an awesome week and and very fun course. I can't wait for next year!

The only thing that I was bummed on was after the finish line. I was looking forward to shaking the hand of the winner but I guess that tradition is a goner.

I really liked how last year that finishers came through the lights in Hammertown (after the hot finish) and seemingly showed up just as the party was getting started.

Overall I had a kick ass good time and I'm stoked that we finished. I know the car can do much more as I learn to drive it and I'm looking forward to learning!

Billet Rifle Systems
Billet AR15 80% Receivers
www.billet80.com
powthief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZukIzzy View Post
Driving into the sun was no big deal for Ben
Nice product placement there Wayne!

This was my fifth year at KOH (I missed the OG13 race ) and I must say it just keeps getting better. In the beginning, it seemed as if the race and surrounding promotion was trying to compete with "desert" racing. I think it has now far surpassed that genre, and is really "the event" to be at in the US. I brought along a long time desert veteran who has raced in CA, NV, AZ and Mexico and he was shocked by the sheer size and scope of the week long schedule.

Here is my post race thoughts on my little section of the race: the pit at Bessmer Mine road. I have heard that at the driver's meeting this pit was described to be a regular pit row with all of the teams lined up. Because of the sheer number of pits and the lay of the land, it ended up being a horseshoe shape with teams in the middle and around the outer ring. This actually worked out very well with only one slight infraction that was quickly corrected. I really liked the concept of a separate pit away from the course. It kept the racing at full speed and yet provided a safe 25mph zone to comply with the BLM regs. This sentiment was also shared by several of the desert guys with one saying "MORE should set the pits up this way too."

Edit: One last thought, I would like to see white on black or black on white numbering on the cars if possible.

Last edited by shoyrtt; 02-21-2012 at 06:13 PM.
shoyrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 75114
$.02

KOH 2012 was awesome. The hot start/finish, the action, the coverage, the vendor area, the crowds, weather, etc...

Only suggestions for improvement that I can remember off the top of my head:

-Water trucks were doing a great job keeping the dust down around Hammertown until Thursday evening when the traffic dustbowl started and continued all day Friday. I was told that the truck broke down and that is why we didn't see it, but who knows?? (moar water!)

-There must have been an unofficial competition for "King of the lakebed" because there were Utv's, 4x4's and moto's hauling way too much ass through camp all week. Even the presence of a ranger didn't do much to deter people at all from driving way 2 fast. (not sure how to enforce? Glaring and waving kinda helped)

-The "foodcourt" idea for vendors that Krusty mentioned was on my mind the whole time. It makes choices for consumers easier and gives vendors an even playing field as far as visibility is concerned.

-As far as media goes, if you look at this pic that was posted of Choc. Thunder,(http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/race2.html) the MAsterpull shirts are the same color as the media vests. Just something to consider. I know there are still a ton of vests in that pic.

blah blah blah.. that is all...

*Edit*- awesome 360 photo credit should go to Cameleer.

Last edited by keeptahoewhite; 02-21-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: duh
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #99 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
Are any speed signs posted near or on the lakebed? What are the rule/laws concerning vehicle speed on blm land?

Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #100 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133025
I also have some post race thoughts to share, great race, and a great time. It was especially fulfilling to see my friends, and meet some new ones.

I wore my orange vest on more occasions than I had anticipated, and enjoyed more responsibilities than I wanted, but the reward was worthwhile. Knowing I was able to help put the race on, and keep people safe was worth the trouble.

Helping to line the racers up at the starting line during qualifying was the most special time. We had to move the cars around to prevent deep ruts in the sand. With the help of FSJ Man, and the racers cooperation, we were able to accomplish this. Getting to speak to the racers at the starting line, and giving them a pep talk, was it's own reward. I know some appreciated it, although it irritated Dave at times, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Many thanks to the racers that volunteered to help during qualifying, your time was greatly appreciated. Thanks also to the other volunteers that gave so much of their time to ensure the race happened.

Hoping I get to see you all again next year, Gene.
easyspops is offline   Reply With Quote