Pirate 4x4 banner

Campbell Racing @Glen Helen Raceway

13K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  CE 
#1 ·
July 23, 2012 – Gilbert, AZ - The last few months have been packed full of, Short course, Ultra4 and some old school Top Truck Challenge racing. As soon as school ended Wayland was working at the shop full time helping Shannon and Nick prep for whatever race was next. Also, in between races Shannon started on the new IFS KOH car in hopes of having it done before the 4Wheel Parts Glen Helen Gran Prix. Unable to complete it in time Shannon would have to use the car Wayland had worked so hard to prep for himself- to keep his season points. To be driver of record in the KOH series he would only have to start or finish the race. We didn’t want to take all the fun from Wayland, he ran the whole race up to the last ½ mile until Shannon jumped into the driver’s seat.
4Wheel Parts Ultra4 Gran Prix
Glen Helen Raceway
July 20-21, 2012

Monster Energy drivers, Wayland Campbell (16yrs) and Shannon Campbell (dad) qualified 14th (6:30.19) out of 43 cars putting him in a good starting position. Knowing it was a 2.5 hour endurance race Wayland would have to run a consistent but fast pace with only one stop for fuel. The course was 3 miles long with 43 competitors taking the green flag . Dust wasn’t the only challenge, bang’n doors , bumpers and elbows with some of Ultra4’s finest veterans as the blinding sun set. Flying to a 5th place finish in the Monster machine! We asked Wayland what the hardest part of the race was and he said, “running the last ½ mile to the finish line after my dad kicked me out of the driver’s seat”.

Wayland said, “It was a great experience to have my dad ride with me. We’ve only had single seat cars so I have never had someone sit next to me to say drive it in harder, don’t lift here, when there’s a hole fill it, make them work for it and nice guys finish last. Glen Helen is a very aggressive race and I learned a lot.”

Thank you to our sponsors for their continuous support and superior product:
Monster Energy, Goodyear Tires, Currie Enterprises, ARB, TurnKey Engine, Howe Performance, Fox Shox, Hughes Performance, Ron Davis Racing Products, Advance Adapters, ProAm Racing, Walker Evans Race Wheels, Mastercraft Safety, Warn Winch, Dynomax Performance Exhaust, Powertank, KC Hilites, Motive Gear, Arizona Driveshaft, Southwest Ground Control, SDHQ, Tireballs, Rugged Radios, Campbell Enterprises Custom Fabrication, All Start Electric

Pit crew: Ryan Miller, Mike Flores, CJ Monson, Tammy Campbell, Jen Nichols, Clay Petty

August is a full schedule for the Monster Energy Team:

Aug 2-5 LOORS rnd 9 & 10 Glen Helen Raceway
Aug 16-18 Ultra4/BITD Vegas to Reno
Aug 23-26 LOORS rnd 11 & 12 Reno, NV

www.lucasoiloffroadracing.com
www.ultra4racing.com
www.bitd.com

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
4Wheel Parts Ultra4 Gran Prix
Glen Helen Raceway
July 20-21, 2012

Gilbert, AZ (July 23, 2012)-Campbell Racing’s Nick Campbell set out to podium and qualify for the 2013 King of the Hammers and that is exactly what he did. Heading out on the track for qualifying Nick was looking for that consistent lap time that would put him in the top qualifying order. Making some shock adjustments to the car and going back out on the track he had a qualifying lap time of 6:29.66 that put him in 12th starting position.

The 4Wheel Parts Gran Prix started at 7:00pm and each driver would leave the line at 5 second intervals. Pit strategy played an important part of this race because it was a 2.5 hour / run as many laps as you can race. Crews had to figure fuel mileage and pay attention to yellow flags and red flags. Moving up and making passes Nick rolled while going through the motorcross track as he was trying to get past a lap car, course workers were able to right him and he continued on. After 3 more laps he tried to move a car out of the way and knocked his winch controller box off the front of the car which started shorting out, he had to pit to save the electronics and battery. With 30 minutes left in the race and sitting in 3rd he drove into a corner and caught the front tire of another car and landed on his side causing a small fire. Requiring some assistance he was able to get the car on its wheels. With a bent light bar and not much time Nick needed to get to the front in a hurry. Although he had to overcome a few obstacles Nick kept the car together, completed 22 laps, placed 3rd and secured a spot for the 2013 King of the Hammers.

Thank you to our sponsors for their continuous support and superior product:
Monster Energy, Goodyear Tires, Currie Enterprises, ARB, TurnKey Engine, Howe Performance, Fox Shox, Hughes Performance, Ron Davis Racing Products, Advance Adapters, ProAm Racing, Walker Evans Race Wheels, Mastercraft Safety, Warn Winch, Dynomax Performance Exhaust, Powertank, KC Hilites, Motive Gear, Arizona Driveshaft, Southwest Ground Control, SDHQ, Tireballs, Arrowlane, Rugged Radios, Campbell Enterprises Custom Fabrication, All Start Electric

Pit Crew:
Ryan Miller, Mike Flores, CJ Monson, Tammy Campbell, Jen Nichols, Clay Petty

August schedule:
Aug 2-5 LOORS Glen Helen Raceway
Aug 16-18 Ultra4/BITD Vegas to Reno
Aug 23-26 LOORS Reno, NV

Attachments

#9 ·
Great job boys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.