Pirate 4x4 banner

Going to KOH? Start here.

163K views 500 replies 179 participants last post by  CartoTracks 
#1 · (Edited)
Preemptive strike.:flipoff2:
Please do not use four letter words, that can be cross referenced to "weather".;)

Spectator Info | Ultra4Racing.com

This thread is in chit chat,and got buried,
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/829674-koh-things-know-things-bring.html

The week (2013) schedule http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/15192074-post6.html
The 2014 week schedule KOH Week 2014 1/31-2/8 | Ultra4Racing.com
2015 2015 Nitto King of The Hammers | Ultra4Racing.com

If you know of any other informative threads, please list them. I will add them to this first post.

Maps http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/johnson-valley/1083518-hammer-trails-mapped-google-earth.html

Tent thread's http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/950838-people-camping-tents-koh.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/competitions-events/1037825-koh-tent-campers-how-crap-desert.html Try to use the blue rooms.

Services http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/competitions-events/1036165-services-available-hammer-town.html

Dogs, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/15203908-post86.html

Kids http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/competitions-events/1041234-koh-kids.html

Water, propane, dump services http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/competitions-events/1038921-koh-rvers-place-fill-your-tanks.html

Weather http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/competitions-events/1120530-koh-weather.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/comp...weather-reports-whats-lucerne-valley-too.html

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ms-marine-base-expansion-keep-public/5r0C7Xw4
Donate here Save the Hammers

I know I need to update this!

See less See more
#2 ·
RV rentals?

I camped in a tent last year and it wasn't that bad. But I got very lucky with the weather. This year i am looking to get and RV for myself and the team and was wondering where the best place to go is? I see some old threads on it but was wondering if there are any places that have some discount for racers?

Thanks for the help

#3 ·
I camped in a tent last year and it wasn't that bad. But I got very lucky with the weather. This year i am looking to get and RV for myself and the team and was wondering where the best place to go is? I see some old threads on it but was wondering if there are any places that have some discount for racers?

Thanks for the help
http://coronamotorhomerentals.com/ support the event heavily, and usually book out pretty early. Not sure if they have any left or not. Don't know about discounts but this is where I'd go

#11 · (Edited)
We took out a tent trailer out 2 years ago. It was cold. Way cold. Water bottles froze inside the trailer. We parked amongs RVs so the wind wasnt an issue. I wouldnt do it again.. need something with some insulation and hard walls ..

#6 ·
I spent 8-9 days in a tent at KOH last year. I posted the tent in between trucks and campers to act as a wind block as much as possible and it wasn't really windy (luckily) and it was fine. Tenting sucks but KOH was worth it. The first 2 nights were COLD in a tent, and 3 years ago it snowed. The temps last year were down in the 20's and possibly the teens a couple nights. It froze water bottles solid overnight. A tent heater and a good tent with good wind rigging is a big deal.

The pota-poopers were kept in good shape last year. The only day they got a little rank was race day when the people started flocking in.

Harley

#8 ·
Please do not use four letter words, that can be cross referenced to "weather".;)
Tent trailers are like tents. If the w!#@ doesn't blow you'll be fine. If the w!#@ blows it could be bad. I've seen them ripped to pieces. I've been to JV 6 times and the w!#@ blew hard 4 of those times.
See the first post. Please edit! do not tempt the weather gods! :evil:

#10 ·
for mo-homes, i use Cruise America. some locations are not close, but something i can work arond.

for me - Bakersfield is the closest. I drive my truck over (2 hours), leave it in a secure lot, drive the mo-home to my house, load and head out.

again, as in past years----- on the drive in= GO SLOW across the two cemented stream crossings !!!!!!! and don't go blasting out on the lakebed right of the road in !!!- BOMB craters.

#12 ·
This will be our 5th year at KOH. 1st 4 years we tent camped. For 2013 we are renting a motorhome from El Monte RV. We will be there from Monday thru Saturday evening. We have such a great time. It keeps getting better every year.

RallyeX

Our tent setup for 2012

Couple of my pics from 2012

#13 ·
I've heard you may have to reserve a tent site? Is this true? I can't find the info.

#15 ·
Nope, not racing. I just heard you may have to reserve A spot. Good to hear I don't have to.

#16 ·
It is the dessert...pretty sure you can find a plot of sand to call your own oasis for the week. Rule of thumb...if nobody is immediately around you...you might want to look for course markers as you might be in the hi speed section:flipoff2:

#18 ·
the question always comes up----- what to bring for cloths ????

bring everything from bikinis to artic gear !!!!!---- dust to mud----- sand to snow--- W to HOT----================== should cover it !

#22 ·
#23 ·
Show off even By flying to KOH 2013

Its great to see fellow wheelers and 4x4 fans wearing their offroad and 4x4 gear in the airports when flying to and from KOH. :) You can pass the time on layovers and meet lots of new friends by wearing your gear proudly. I did in 2010 and will again in 2013. :grinpimp:

#24 ·
Its great to see fellow wheelers and 4x4 fans wearing their offroad and 4x4 gear in the airports when flying to and from KOH. :) You can pass the time on layovers and meet lots of new friends by wearing your gear proudly. I did in 2010 and will again in 2013. :grinpimp:
I find that they generally wave as they pass me on I-15. :laughing:

#25 ·
I have gone to the KOH for the last three years with a tent only and had no major issues. Yes, its cold but having a good bed and a sleeping bad fixed all that. For the day we just zipped it down and went to see the trail, scout the valley, and work our CP as volunteers - never had a problem except for the dust. Its everywhere, man, and the closer you are to the base camp and all the action, the more of it you get. This year we definitely would aim for an RV, a rental, just to get ourselves more rest at night, because its damn loud out there. One creep was idling his ATV just outside next to my ear for a few hours in the middle of the night and even though I had me a nice bottle of whiskey the evening before, I still woke up and had a small exchange with the guy.

Overall, just make sure you check in with your neighbors to see if the spot is reserved or not and just to know who is around ya, the first year around we, happy campers, laid to sleep in an empty spot only to find ourselves surrounded by the crawlers and the mechanics working on the rigs : )

See ya all there!

#27 · (Edited)
haven't read anyone in just a camper shell. probably better than tent but what do you people think
Yes, a camper shell would be better than a tent. Better if there is w!$#, better to insulate from noise, maybe better for dust (depending on how well it seals).

My lodging ratings, based upon actual experience, sorted worst to best.

0 Under the stars- Wonderful in good weather and with a good sleeping bag with no one around. Not at KOH unless you find a campsite miles away from Hammertown (which is absolutely possible).

1 Tent- A tent acts as a transducer and magnifies the noise from your neighbors. A dirt bike or a generator 1/2 a mile away at 2AM will sound like it is right in your camp. Tents don't keep out noise, cold, or dust. Even a good 4 season tent, properly set up, will flatten, bend poles, and flap all night long in a good Johnson Valley w!$# storm! Want to use a cheap 3 season tent? Good luck! This will most likely be it's last trip.

2 Camper shell- Protection from the elements, some noise insulation, some dust protection. You are still living and cooking outdoors in the weather.

3 Inside a vehicle- Slightly better than a camper shell because of better insulation from dust and security for your stuff.

4 Inside a race trailer or box truck- Good insulation from noise, dust, and weather. Large enough to live and cook out of the weather.

5 RV of any kind- Protection from noise, dust, and weather. You will have a heater, bathroom, kitchen, hot water and probably even a generator and a TV (although I choose not to have them); all the comforts of home. That is, until something breaks, the holding tanks fill up, your battery dies, you run out of water because your significant other does not understand that they cannot take a 15 minute shower, or any of 100 other things that can go wrong. But it is still WAY better than a tent!

The bottom line... One of the greatest camping trips of my life was a week in Joshua Tree National Park, very near to Johnson Valley, in the winter. We pulled into camp in a snow storm with 6" of snow on the ground. The next day we were walking around in shorts in the sunshine and it stayed that way all week! I was in a tent, 4 season of course, and it was great!

Even if I had to rough it, I would still come out. It will be worth it and maybe you can upgrade next year! :D

<edit> P.S. Please, everywhere you go, leave it cleaner than you found it! Be a good neighbor and ambassador for our sport.

#28 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the info in this tread. This will be my first trip to KOH. We have six of us staying in an RV. What is the recommendation on food? I figure there is food vendors during the day, but what about dinner? We will be on the lakebed Tuesday the 5th to Saturday early morning.

#31 · (Edited)
You will be having so much fun that food will be secondary! :D

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches work for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for at least 2 weeks if you are having fun and have enough beer. Beyond that, you are on your own and should not rely on Pirate 4x4 to help you out! :smokin:

Rich is right though, 1 pot meals are the only way to go. Think hamburger, beans, and tortillas.

Seriously, the food is excellent and you could eat very well just from the vendors, 3 meals a day.

In-and-out should bring out their mobile unit. They would sell out every day with no problem.

Rich, don't let your new bride read that post! :p

#29 ·
Here is what we do for food
Try and limit your meals to one pan/pot meals if your going to cook in the RV.
The next best thing is to have woman along..... Make it her job to cook and clean - oh yeah good luck with that and let us know if it worked LOL
Yes there are food vendors but that can get old and expensive really fast

#30 ·
Although it's not practical to drive into town (Yucca or Apple valley) every night but it's nice to get out of the dust and noise and eat in a restaurant.

Ate at La Casita restaurant in Yucca last KOH and it was pretty tasty. Of course I could be bribed to bring out some In-N-Out burgers on my way up:p

#34 ·
Planning on rolling in on Mon. or Tue. First time, camp location is my question. Would like to park the RV near other PBB folks who like to drink around the fire in the evening W#@&% permitting. Would like to be close enough to Hammertown to watch and possibly assist teams in race prep. My 21 year old son and I are handy with tools but would be happy just to fetch stuff and hold lights, tools, beer, parts, our comments, etc if needed. Any suggestions for camping site complete with road directions and names of neighbors? We will be in a 25-28 ft MH towing jeep on trailer.

#60 ·
GL with that. Usually showing up in the middle of the night and driving around for about 30 min. will find you the best spot.. :laughing:

1. Bring Motorhome
2. Bring Wife
3. Do NOT shop at a truck stop for her birthday gifts on the way to KOH (again) :homer:
4. Bring firewood.
5. Load up 1 thirty pack of beer, per day, per adult.

That is the recipe for a happy KOH experiance.
#5 is surprisingly accurate.

Try Backdoor after hours in the dark for the ultimate wheeling experience! At least once a year someone comes in butt hurt and covered in beer saying they flipped their junk and all the "locals" are harassing them..."help me!"

The first year I fell for this. Only issue is they aren't locals and are just having fun. Be their entertainment!
It is weird that some of the "Locals" have Canadian accents. :homer:

#35 ·
I did best western last year, but the drive every night and morning was a killer. I want to do a rv but don't know anyone with one :(

For food last year I smoked a pork shoulder before I left home. Had pulled pork sammiches all weekend. Easiest meal to make. Just heat up in aluminum foil with some BBQ sauce, add to hoagie roll and add cheese...

-phill

#38 ·
KOH 2013 Vendor's list?

Please bring more odd ball parts.
Any chance that us little guy's can get the vendors list?
It would be nice to pre-purchase little parts with no shipping.

I know it is a little late, but, I know people would buy certain "water containers", from the Canadian's again.

I ass-ume most parts vendors are here on Pirate, but they don't say, "I am at vendor spot X". My website is X, pm for Pirate price, discounted shipping and no sales tax. (If out of State)

Honestly, I do not know your bottom line, but fuck knock (sp) a dollar of your price and with no shipping, equals a win for everyone.

I have a good idea who will be there with what, as most Pirates do, but I guess about 5,000, 15,000 + people don't.

#42 ·
Please bring more odd ball parts.
Any chance that us little guy's can get the vendors list?
It would be nice to pre-purchase little parts with no shipping.

I know it is a little late, but, I know people would buy certain "water containers", from the Canadian's again.

I ass-ume most parts vendors are here on Pirate, but they don't say, "I am at vendor spot X". My website is X, pm for Pirate price, discounted shipping and no sales tax. (If out of State)

Honestly, I do not know your bottom line, but fuck knock (sp) a dollar of your price and with no shipping, equals a win for everyone.

I have a good idea who will be there with what, as most Pirates do, but I guess about 5,000, 15,000 + people don't.
Check the map on the Ultra4 web site. That will give you a good idea who's going to be there.

#45 ·
remember folks,, this is DESERT and a dry lake bed---- 'camping' can be done anywhere as long as you are not in 'town' or on the course----
the closer to town the more noise and possible dust---
i started in a camper shell on my toyota pick-up, then camper on my chebby p/u (no potty), and for the past few years i rent a mo-home (size depends on number of guests), i ALWAYS bring home extra food and usually an ice chest with extra drinks---- the venders and food folks downtown get a lot of my business. Last year there were some GOOD ribs !!
i would suggest bringing an umbrella---- good for 'R' and great for SUN !

what you want to bring is really up to you and your needs/wants---- just think of what you would need to support yourself for a week and go from there !

as Adam said to me his first time out-- "never in my life have i been able to see so far"--- it 'open' desert and there is NOTHING there except what we put there !! NO TREES and 1 bush---- most cell phones will work from there, but if you have trouble getting out--- call from the area of the 'phone bush' and it will work !!!!!!

#46 · (Edited)
1. Bring Motorhome
2. Bring Wife
3. Do NOT shop at a truck stop for her birthday gifts on the way to KOH (again) :homer:
4. Bring firewood.
5. Load up 1 thirty pack of beer, per day, per adult. you may go home with some ( never have) but it is easier than driving to get more.

That is the recipe for a happy KOH experiance.

#48 ·
Mud--- brought up a good point !!!!! you can bring all the firewood you want---- no pallets AND NOTHING WITH nails !!!!!! THERE IS A FIRE PIT DOWNTOWN, BUT LATE EVENINGS, GETS A BIT CROWDED. No restrictions on fire-- except NO NAILS !!! -- just think of the firepit you would drive thru next year-- want nails ????
i think the town went thru 40 chords of wood last year in the town firepit----wood IS for sale if you don't bring enough.

#55 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.