What do you like most about competition - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2003, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
TRD
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8286
What do you like most about competition

What do you like most about rockcrawling comp.

What i like most is that you are right there, the action is in front of you not 100 feet away. I also like that you can walk right up to the rigs and check them out

I hope this never changes, it makes rockcrawling comps all that they are
Old 04-30-2003, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 10644
I enjoy seeing 2 days of incredible carnage and then climbing in my Jeep Monday morning and not having anything broken.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2003, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2242
I too like WATCHING and not BREAKING. My favorite part is checking out the courses and looking at things that I would not even pick as lines. Then a couple of rigs go over backwards or point out and I think "That is impossible, no one will make it" and then sure enough someone completes the course. These guys do things sometimes that I honestly do not think are possible.
Vehicle Features, Tech, & Trail Reports
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Member # 1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance
I like the friends I've made over the years, the intense competition, and the insane obstacles!
Old 04-30-2003, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
i like looking at the rigs up close,when no one is around so i can steal ideas .
its a good way to spend time with the kid too.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Well, not rocks, but competition in general I like. As a competitor, I like that everyone has to play by the same rules & that skill (both as a builder & driver) are much more important than luck, which is often the case in a recreational setting. And in a recreational setting, the guy who drives mostly with his right foot is ALWAYS top dog as far as any "spectators" are concerned, though that same guy may fare far worse under the controlled environment of competition.

As a spectator, the continous action is the thing. Not only are the competitors more fun to watch than a recreational rig, but the push to keep things moving is something you rarely find out on the trail.

As a promoter, I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing I was able to put together a good "show" for the crowd & still keep the competitors happy. Too often, too much emphasis is placed on one over the other.

Overall, the friends you make is the real difference. Nothing quite like hanging out with 4,000 of your best buddies

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1293
Send a message via AIM to tommybronco Send a message via Yahoo to tommybronco
I think everything everyone has posted i agree with. My best friends wheel and a few compete. I love seeing the new ideas and fab skills. Especially when the fab is also art. The friendly atmosphere and hands one type of viewing is great. How often can you go down into the pits at nascar and climb under a car? The sport is great and i know it is growning and changing but i hope some things stay the same.

But most of all the smell of burnt rubber and exhaust in the morning
67 bronco 302 np435 D20 hp44 warn locked, 9" spooled 5:13's 36s. WHEELING IS A DISEASE........SPREAD IT!!!!!

ECV PAIR-O-DICE 7-11

The RED SHIRTS are coming!

tommybronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1918
Send a message via AIM to badassjeepguy Send a message via Yahoo to badassjeepguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Lance
I like the friends I've made over the years, the intense competition, and the insane obstacles!

YEP id have to say #1 is all the friends and people ive met... sittin at the hotels on the eve's of the events shootin the shit with people from all over........ good times!
Hot Pursuit Rockcrawling #911
[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Yellow"]2006 BADLANDS MOONBUGGY FOR SALE[/COLOR][/SIZE] [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566987[/url]
badassjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 14545
I like learning from the best.
smalltimewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1065
Quote:
Originally posted by smalltimewheeler
I like learning from the best.

I agree.

As a competitor, one of the coolest things was the first time a group of kids came up to me and asked me to autograph their programs.

The addrenelin rush from lining up on an insane course, with hundreds of people watching you, definitely kicks ass, also.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2769
Getting involved is the most fun...
Spectating is great but participating as a member of the media, tech crew, judging or competition crew adds immensly to the rock crawling experience. I've done a little of each and have found I've learn more, made more friends, and had more fun as a part of the action instead of just watching.
Jaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 4098
Send a message via ICQ to jeepinchad
#1 - the friends I've made
#2 - seeing fierce competition, while competitors are still having fun and helping each other out like competition should be
Old 05-02-2003, 08:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 11356
Send a message via AIM to big97redtj
I enjoy seeing the rigs that are a representative example of professional builders competing against the back yard fab guys. It's good to see that good competition is not necessarily a factor of how much money has been spent.

I enjoy watching the teams that really have it together as far as calm, cool, collected communication. Troy was an excellent example of this at Jellico. Many others were also in the same boat as him , but Troy and his spotter really stood out. with their use of radios.

As far as teams that don't have it together in the communication department, they're fun to watch too, but frustrate the hell out of me.

I enjoyed being close enough to the competition to watch revolvers NOT work. The dreaded "clink-slap-clink-slap" on a Legends rig trying to climb a hill.

I had a wonderful time at the Erocc competition and look forward to the next one. I only hope that the Neuroc competition is as well run.

[edit: I enjoyed hanging out with Spaceghost, Bigdude, Chad, BAJG, Morpheus, Indy CJ and meeting a bunch of others from the board. Also enjoyed the look on Bigdude's face when TJ Fan and I harrased him. Bigdude took it all in stride....]

Last edited by big97redtj; 05-02-2003 at 08:17 AM.
big97redtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 14488
I am all about the fact that we are out there with so many other people that are as crazy as us. It's hanging out with 100 rockcrawlers. Whats cooler then that. I love the fact that I don't know a single person that watches this sport that didn't like it. My 85 year ol Grandma thought it was cool as hell. The fact that when a series comes to a town the town is engulfed with hardcore rigs. The drast difference between all the different ideas that people think of. When I am out there I am surounded by what I would call my mentors. Wether it be for there driveing skill or there fab skills. I take this sport very serious. I live it as full as I can. So the fact that I can be out there with these guys and wheel with them is the shit. Now when you line up for that obstical that has you a little worried yet pumped at the same time and the judge calls you in is a great feeling. I think every driver and spotter has a certain obstical that they look forward to running. When you have that doubt deep down that you may not make that obstical and you do is a great feeling. I must say Tracy said it best for me. It's all about learning from the best.

Nick
KOH 2009 Driver #330
Home of The Wrath!
www.thewrathchassis.com
XtremeEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 03:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 15195
I like being in the Winners circle
RedBspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 03:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
"I like learning from the best."

Says the school dean...

Lots of cool friends, competitors and spectators, people helping other teams when they are down, the fun of bustin each other, talkin chit (Does Shupe ever run out of material with a southern spin on it??)

Insane obstacles, the challenge, always learning, not just from the vets but from some new blood too. Exciting to see someone "new" come in and do well (Like Peter Wells at the last UROC)

Gotta say, it is cool when some kid comes up and asks for an autograph, cooler when you sit a kid behind the wheel so Mom & Pop can take a picture.
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Maxxis, Trail-Gear, Yukon Gear, Goatbuilt, Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, Ruffstuff specialties, Warn Winch, Rokit Enterprises, Viair, Edge Perf., Branik Motorsports, PRP seats, 12V unlimited, Bailie built, Alltech, Raceline
Go2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 04:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
Quote:
Originally posted by RedBspot
I like being in the Winners circle
Yeah...like we've seen that a bunch

The best part of competition is when things are clicking during a risky move...before you start, you question whether it's a good chioce, then in the middle when it seems to be working, you get a great feeling that you're doing something different than everyone else and it's working. Like Don and Tracy taking that hairy line to the right on obstacle 4 of the Cedar ProRocks...a tree branch was the only thing holding them from a seriously trashed and stuck rig, yet they worked it slow and smooth and pulled out of it nicely...I bet the feeling they had just as they were making that was unmatchable. Especially for Don as he could actually see the depth of trouble they could be in if things didn't work. Tracy was on the wrong side of the rig to see that ravine and the fact that he had his right rear hanging 2 feet off into space!

Oh, one more thing I like about Crawling...the abundance of that great moonshine that the easterners bring to the events!!!
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 04:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1169
Send a message via Yahoo to Monkeyboy
That was a weseterner that brought the shine this last weekend
and oh man did it mess me up
Old 05-07-2003, 05:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
W.E.ROCK CEO

Member # 3123
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Rich
What do I like best????????

Trying to get the rules correct, and putting out fires during the events.....just kidding

I enjoy the evening after the comp., when all has settled down, having a cold one and thinking back on all the things that happen to my friends, the excitement, the drama, the intrigue.....all of it.

So with that said, I'd like to thank everyone that I've meet while doing these events, for the good times and even the rough ones.

Rich
Thanks to our marketing partners: MAXXIS Tires, Trail Gear, NITTRO Gear and Axle, ARTEC Industries, Branik Motorsports, ASR Recovery Gear, SpiderTrax, Dirt Skins, Metal Cloak, Crown Automotive, SuperChips, PSC Steering, Fox Shocks, Axel Off Road, Currie Enterprises, PCI Race Radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKROVER
4 wheeling sure changes when there is a crowd and cones.
http://www.werocklive.com
530-417-5333

http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-C-Klein/541920521
http://twitter.com/werocklive
http://www.myspace.com/daddyrocks

( @ Y @ ) ( * Y * ) ( . Y . )

Big Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 08:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 18924
The shine! I like the shine.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 08:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 463
The friends and people I have met has to be a top one.....I remember when I used to pick up a magazine and look (up to) at all the new stuff (back in my teenage bolt on days) and rigs.....now I look in there and see adds and feature rigs of people I have met, seen or am friends with like its nothing...becuase they are the nicest people....example: talked to Jason Paule for 45min at moonrocks last year about everything and nothing and having him compliment me on a course then seeing him on the cover of Petersons months later.... I still do look up to these people, now I get to hang out with them

but competition is just something I really enjoy too.....the pressure is great, especially when in the end it goes your way

Torchmate Racing
www.torchmateracing.com

Last edited by ToyFamily; 05-10-2003 at 08:30 PM.
ToyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:29 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 15646
Quote:
Originally posted by Go2Guy
[BSays the school dean...

Insane obstacles, the challenge, always learning, not just from the vets but from some new blood too. Exciting to see someone "new" come in and do well (Like Peter Wells at the last UROC)
[/B]
I think you schooled all of us on the money pit in farmington

This is what's cool about competitions. Pros welcoming beginners, being able to talk shop with people you've looked up to, and THE ADRENALINE RUSH don't tell anyone, I've become an adrenaline junkie

That's just insane, driving up to the gate with an impossibly steep obstacle looming at you, dropping it in low, hoping you picked the right line, nailing it, then being told you actually cleaned it. What a rush.

See you guys in Cedar ctiy. Cant' wait

Last edited by ROCKSFORBRAINS; 05-11-2003 at 11:39 AM.
ROCKSFORBRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote