minimum weight - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2003, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6208
minimum weight

It can't be this simple or is it? At the RCAA Reno event. They weighed every vehicle for the unlimited class. Their scale/wood blocks was not the best method. My question is hypothetical. If I knew I was under weight. Could I fill my tires with water to make weight, then drain. I think the top money winners should be weighed after their last obstacle. Judges should follow the vehicle to the scale. maybe this is done?
slo-vic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2003, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
And the drivers and spotters should also have to submit urine specimins as well...
I agree that it is possible, even likely that someone in the future would do exactly what you've noted, so really, you're not out of line in pointing this out...still, the rules thing is going really far and really fast without many of the rules makers considering all of the consequences when they hit upon an idea.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2003, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6208
so you think everybody made weight (legally) at rcaa reno? my booth (Advance Adapters) next to scales, atleast of of them looked like they were having hard time making weight

Last edited by slo-vic; 05-09-2003 at 03:26 PM.
slo-vic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2003, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
Don't some competitors put water in their tires anway.. so how would you know that they didn't legititmly want to use water, and then maybe after a couple courses they wanted to try without water, and took the water out...

I could see that happening, and nothing 'illegal' or rule breaking is there..
Old 05-07-2003, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6007
Why is there a weight limit again????

unlimited should mean unlimited

Lead Foot Syndicate
bigdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2003, 06:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
If you're going to have a weight minimum (and we can argue the merits another day), you have to enforce it. That means checking every vehicle prior to the run & the winners afterwards. Anything less & it's not a rule, it's a suggestion.

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2003, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14451
"Why is there a weight limit again????

unlimited should mean unlimited"

Exactly!
Save Tellico Rally Post #75

Rock Solid Racing, LLC

coming soon...

Sponsors:

Offroad Outfitters, Transportation Network Systems, Yukon Axle & Gear, Mild 2 Wild 4x4 Customs... more to come

Last edited by jeepguru7; 05-07-2003 at 07:28 AM.
jeepguru7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2003, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 10644
Any competitor can challenge the weight of anothers vehicle at any time during the event. If that vehicle is found to be underweight, they are DQ'd for the event.

As for weighing each rig before each obstacle, that will either stretch the comp into 4 days, or lower the field to 20-30 vehicles. Tech took FOREVER because of the scales in Reno. Granted, the wood blocks for the scales were a problem and it can all be improved. But each rig's width and length is different and if you spend 1 minute placing the scales for each rig - that adds another hour to tech. The future may be to weigh each rig before a run, but things are going to have to be improved first.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2003, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 19108
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigdude
[B]Why is there a weight limit again????

Exactly what I was wondering. If someone can build an 1800lbs rig that could survive a competition and be competitive, more power to them.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2003, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally posted by redhead
If someone can build an 1800lbs rig that could survive a competition and be competitive, more power to them.
Actually, sometimes this is why weight minimums ARE built into the rules. Guys push the envelope, end up with a dangerous or unreliable rig, and then 1 of 2 things happen. People get hurt, or people get bored watching broken rigs hauled off the course (that's why Monster Truck racing went to a 10k minimum BTW, too many delays when the Taurus machine broke).

Again, not arguing in favor of minimum weight restrictions, nor against them. But, cost is only one potential factor why they would be used.

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2003, 11:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally posted by TEX

Actually, sometimes this is why weight minimums ARE built into the rules. Guys push the envelope, end up with a dangerous or unreliable rig, and then 1 of 2 things happen. People get hurt, or people get bored watching broken rigs hauled off the course (that's why Monster Truck racing went to a 10k minimum BTW, too many delays when the Taurus machine broke).

Again, not arguing in favor of minimum weight restrictions, nor against them. But, cost is only one potential factor why they would be used.

TEX
Any and all safety issues can be addressed in other areas without resorting to the round-about method of using a min. weight limit to get there.

Cage strength is the first to come to mind... kept in check by min. tube thicknesses (drill and measure method) and min. O.D. rules.
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2003, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDW
Duke of Drink

Member # 1352
Re: minimum weight

Quote:
Originally posted by slo-vic
It can't be this simple or is it? At the RCAA Reno event. They weighed every vehicle for the unlimited class. Their scale/wood blocks was not the best method. My question is hypothetical. If I knew I was under weight. Could I fill my tires with water to make weight, then drain. I think the top money winners should be weighed after their last obstacle. Judges should follow the vehicle to the scale. maybe this is done?
I brought this up back in November and never got a response.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=3

Quote:
Originally posted by me
I know RCAA does a pre-race inspection of the vehicles. With the new weight limit next year I am wondering if they will do a post race inspection. Water in the tires seems like an easy way to pass pre inspect at the 2400# limit then "lighten" up before the comp.

TDW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.