ProRocks Farmington - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
ProRocks Farmington

Just got back from Farmington and I have to say that it was a great weekend. We had a tough 1st day with two breakdowns (Steering pump and a fuel pump) and 1 course that we just could not complete because the first climb was just plain tough. Luckily the second day went better and we were really doing well until I took a stupid chance on a severe off-camber turn and almost rolled off a big cliff. The turn would have been easy enough, but I made a hairbrained decision and paid for it...I saved it just in time to touch a marked bush and be DQ'd. No biggie, Jody and I still had a smile at the end of the day.
It was a super fun event and what really stood out this weekend in my eyes was the competitiveness that we got to see from Tracy and Don. They were really gunning for Jon and Larry and I just cannot describe the emotions that I watched Tracy go through trying to get on top. The strategy that played out was intense and I have to tell you, some of the ideas Tracy and Don had were worthy of their skills as drivers. One of the obstacles on the second day had a bonus line that nobody else took...with a great idea on how to make it work, and a sacrifice of a little red paint (yes, Tracy's rig was RED...and UGLY) and bodywork, they pulled it off with a perfect score. In the end things did not play out in their favor but I have to hand it to them, they did a great job.
Curt had a killer 2nd day and actually had the best score of day 2. He played the lines real conservative and smooth and with these technical courses, it really turned out great for him and his wife (spotter).
As for Jon and Larry, what more can be said...another awesome finish. Though I dodn't get to see them run this weekend, I wish I could have run in-between them and Tracy so I could have seen it from both angles. CONGRATS you two.
The courses were really well balanced. I thought ChokeCherry was all about big walls, but ProRocks proved different. It was a great balance of climbs and technical and the courses were just tough enough to give good seperation between the competitor's scores, yet still kept damage to a serious minimum (which is great because everyone can go home and wheel instead of going home to repair).
I was totally stoked about the payout and although I know Bob had problems in the past, it seems he has worked on making things alot better. Here's how the pay scale went...
Trophy had 9 competitors.
1st place $4500
2nd place $2500
3rd place $1800
4th place - I'm not sure but they did get $

Stock modified was similar with 8 competitors...

The total competitors - 17
The total Prize money - $16,000.00

Those are AWESOME odds on getting a real paycheck.

I did not see any rules controversy and things seemed to be really smooth except for Don making the front page - full color picture - of the newspaper with a caption saying something like..."top competitor, Don Robbins goes face to face with a judge on a rule dispute." ... Don told us not to believe everything you read in the papers

Another fun note was the BullRiders ( I forgot their names)...They showed up with a 30 foot tall CJ/Scrambler on RockWells and Boggers and entertained us, the crowds, and most importantly themselves. ChokeCherry is not the place for that kind of rig but they gave it a hell of a shot anyway. Even after a bad roll, they worked all night to repair the rig and came back the second day to go for it again. These guys were great and we need more of their attitudes in these events as they made everyone have a good time. It was a bummer that they had to leave before receiving their trophy...for the Hard-Luck award...they actually deserved a second trophy for the BEST ATTITUDE!

Last edited by RedBullJeep; 06-10-2003 at 10:09 AM.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4227
Good job Dustin........Have fun on your trip Say Hi for me!!!
RP Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 15195
GREVO!!
RedBspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4227
Quote:
Originally posted by RedBspot
GREVO!!
I am on it RIGHT NOW!! See you in Cedar
RP Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14425
Re: ProRocks Farmington

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBullJeep
Just got back from Farmington and I have to say that it was a great weekend. We had a tough 1st day with two breakdowns (Steering pump and a fuel pump) and 1 course that we just could not complete because the first climb was just plain tough. Luckily the second day went better and we were really doing well until I took a stupid chance on a severe off-camber turn and almost rolled off a big cliff. The turn would have been easy enough, but I made a hairbrained decision and paid for it...I saved it just in time to touch a marked bush and be DQ'd. No biggie, Jody and I still had a smile at the end of the day.
It was a super fun event and what really stood out this weekend in my eyes was the competitiveness that we got to see from Tracy and Don. They were really gunning for Jon and Larry and I just cannot describe the emotions that I watched Tracy go through trying to get on top. The strategy that played out was intense and I have to tell you, some of the ideas Tracy and Don had were worthy of their skills as drivers. One of the obstacles on the second day had a bonus line that nobody else took...with a great idea on how to make it work, and a sacrifice of a little red paint (yes, Tracy's rig was RED...and UGLY) and bodywork, they pulled it off with a perfect score. In the end things did not play out in their favor but I have to hand it to them, they did a great job.
Curt had a killer 2nd day and actually had the best score of day 2. He played the lines real conservative and smooth and with these technical courses, it really turned out great for him and his wife (spotter).
As for Jon and Larry, what more can be said...another awesome finish. Though I dodn't get to see them run this weekend, I wish I could have run in-between them and Tracy so I could have seen it from both angles. CONGRATS you two.
The courses were really well balanced. I thought ChokeCherry was all about big walls, but ProRocks proved different. It was a great balance of climbs and technical and the courses were just tough enough to give good seperation between the competitor's scores, yet still kept damage to a serious minimum (which is great because everyone can go home and wheel instead of going home to repair).
I was totally stoked about the payout and although I know Bob had problems in the past, it seems he has worked on making things alot better. Here's how the pay scale went...
Trophy had 9 competitors.
1st place $4500
2nd place $2500
3rd place $1800
4th place - I'm not sure but they did get $

Stock modified was similar with 8 competitors...

The total competitors - 17
The total Prize money - $16,000.00

Those are AWESOME odds on getting a real paycheck.

I did not see any rules controversy and things seemed to be really smooth except for Don making the front page - full color picture - of the newspaper with a caption saying something like..."top competitor, Don Robbins goes face to face with a judge on a rule dispute." ... Don told us not to believe everything you read in the papers

Another fun note was the BullRiders ( I forgot their names)...They showed up with a 30 foot tall CJ/Scrambler on RockWells and Boggers and entertained us, the crowds, and most importantly themselves. ChokeCherry is not the place for that kind of rig but they gave it a hell of a shot anyway. Even after a bad roll, they worked all night to repair the rig and came back the second day to go for it again. These guys were great and we need more of their attitudes in these events as they made everyone have a good time. It was a bummer that they had to leave before receiving their trophy...for the Hard-Luck award...they actually deserved a second trophy for the BEST ATTITUDE!
Dustin,

Thanks for the detailed feedback! Good luck at Cedar. You planning on going to the next pro-rocks event in July?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 15195
July 26-27 Avalanche Ranch, CO. Red Bull will be there!
RedBspot is offline   Reply With Quote