RCAA Production Tire Rule - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2003, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 26
RCAA Production Tire Rule

One of the Nelson racing employees was down at the Goodyear racing tire warehouse today. He was picking up a bunch Goodyear tires for the Pro Truck racing series. While there he saw 50 sets of special compitition 40" Goodyear tires in a softer compound. These tires were not DOT stamped and thus not qualify to be sold in retail stores.

As I heard it, Goodyear pressured Ranch into requiring RCAA rigs all run tires that were available for sale in stores, thus eliminating BFG's new 39" tire in the last couple of RCAA events.

So what's the deal? Will Goodyear be running these tires at the next RCAA event? Will the rules be changed to allow non production tires in the future?Do any other competitors know anything yet?

Here is the tire section from the 2003 RCAA rules currently on their web site...

Tires

The following are approved for competition:

All factory built tires from any manufacturer.
National Championship: All tire must be DOT approved and available through normal channels of tire distribution to all competitors. No specially produced competition only tires are permitted.
Regional Championship: All automotive based tires. No agricultural tires are approved.
Tire size limits is 40" measured using a measuring device and measuring actual diameter on the wheels that will be used for competition with the vehicle on the ground measuring in a horizontal plane at the tire center line. (This value may be adjusted for regional competition.)
Vehicles must have no less than four (4) and no more than six (8) independent tires.
Tires are to be the only source of forward, side, or back movement of the vehicle. Any device used to move the vehicle in these directions other than the tires is considered a tool or winch and points will be assessed accordingly.

Last edited by Chris Geiger; 06-25-2003 at 08:36 PM.
Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2003, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
W.E.ROCK CEO

Member # 3123
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Rich
Chris, call Ranch and ask...

Rich
Thanks to our marketing partners: MAXXIS Tires, Trail Gear, NITTRO Gear and Axle, ARTEC Industries, Branik Motorsports, ASR Recovery Gear, SpiderTrax, Dirt Skins, Metal Cloak, Crown Automotive, SuperChips, PSC Steering, Fox Shocks, Axel Off Road, Currie Enterprises, PCI Race Radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKROVER
4 wheeling sure changes when there is a crowd and cones.
http://www.werocklive.com
530-417-5333

http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-C-Klein/541920521
http://twitter.com/werocklive
http://www.myspace.com/daddyrocks

( @ Y @ ) ( * Y * ) ( . Y . )

Big Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2003, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
I called Ranch in the beginning and posed this exact question to him. "Ranch, what happens if Goodyear decides they want to test/prototype a new tire and use it in the awesome testing enviornment of our sport?" His comment was, NO, we will not change away from the DOT rule if Goodyear decides to build a specialty tire. The rule is there to level the playing field.

Now, most people would say that if he follows the rules of integrity, then he will keep that word and not switch the game just for Goodyear...BUT...look at it from the competitor's side (treating this as a business). Would you rather see Goodyear stay in the game and be competitive instead of them taking their money to another sport? I am sure even BFG would like Goodyear to stay in the game as it's not a game to win if there is no competition. Plus it would be a larger expense on BFG to be the only one in the game as there would be less promotion of the sport without Goodyear's $.

Finally, I don't care the reason RCAA would use to justify eliminating this rule...They could say that Pirate4x4 bribed them with a six-pack and I'd be satisfied as I felt it was a bad idea in the first place.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2003, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Member # 1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance
Of course it was a bad idea in the first place. And I wouldn't be suprised to see them change the rule now.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally posted by Lance
Of course it was a bad idea in the first place. And I wouldn't be suprised to see them change the rule now.
I stand by my original position on this. I don't think it's fair to allow tires that some competitors cannot purchase for ANY price in the competition. BFG & Goodyear have been running non-DOT tires in various forms of competition for years & DAMN little of that has resulted in new tires for us on the street. Yes, it's good R&D, and it may have led to different compounds, etc. Still, 40" Radials have been used by these guys for years, but it took a "DOT" rule for them to finally become available to "average Joe". Take a look an any legitimate form of motorsports & you'll find all of the competitors having fairly equal access to every legal tire - some get them for free, some have to pay. But EVERYONE has access. And until that equal access is granted in rock-crawling, I'll continue to support the DOT rule.

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2003, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the BFG stickies can be bought by racers- any racer. The 39.5 may be another story... so far.
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Maxxis, Trail-Gear, Yukon Gear, Goatbuilt, Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, Ruffstuff specialties, Warn Winch, Rokit Enterprises, Viair, Edge Perf., Branik Motorsports, PRP seats, 12V unlimited, Bailie built, Alltech, Raceline
Go2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2003, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally posted by Go2Guy
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the BFG stickies can be bought by racers- any racer. The 39.5 may be another story... so far.
Even still, I think that some sort of rule has to be in place to ensure that that would continue IMO. I don't so much have a problem with non-DOT tires as I do with the potential for one rig running tires that are completely unattainable (at any price) by the rest of the competition.

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2003, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7482
it was a bad idea on the rule but I would bet there will be a stink if they change it.
pure-adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2003, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11365
I say let Good Year pull that, The 39" Krawler will still kick their a$$. Not to mention that the best drivers in the country already run BFG's and I seriously doubt they will take them off!
3) 2006 Jeep Rubicon LJ Unlimited, Tons, Atlas, 40" Maxxis, King Coil overs, (PTSD Therapy)
4) 2009 Dodge 3500 Diesel 4x4 (Tow Rig) (mine)
Run dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2003, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7482
either way the krawlers are still going to kick as$!!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 13586
http://www.pirate4x4.com/trailreports/rcca_cedar03/
Walker Evans takes top honors in Cedar City!

Coming out of nowhere, Walker Evans took Cedar City by storm and beat Mike Shaffer (2nd place) more than 20 points! In a well deserved victory, Walker was all smiles. Here is an exclusive interview we had with Walker after the awards ceremony in Cedar City, Utah.

What happened to the "Bull of the Woods"?
John Bundrant was on what looked to be an unstoppable streak

http://www.off-road.com/rock/2003rcaa/cedarcity/
Cedar City, Utah: The off-road desert racing legend Walker Evans showed who's boss of these rocks at the Goodyear/Skyjacker Extreme Rock Crawl Championships in Cedar City, Utah today. He piloted the custom built Walker Evans rig sporting the 40" Goodyear sticky tires

40" Goodyear sticky tires????

is this what you're talking about Chris?
dumass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2003, 08:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 26
The 39" bfg's were not allowed at this event due to the influence of Goodyear. All of the BFG sponsored rigs had to run the smaller 37" bfg's.
Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2003, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
Walker and Shannon Campbell were both running DOT legal 40" MTR's.

MTR's work great in Cedar.

Bring them East of Moab and the BFG's CLEARLY separate themselves, but the top guys continue to post top scores with MT/R's in Utah and New Mexico.

I think it is BS to change rules mid stream, but see if RCAA could survive without the major sponsors.
www.cottonlandcruisers.com
www.rockmidgetphotography.com

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2003, 09:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 7482
I didn't know the MT/R's where doing well in Utah and New Mexico. My guess is it was Walkers driving more than the tires. We all know the BFG's rock and to prove it they had to make a rule to keep them out of RRCA.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Send a message via ICQ to Supergper Send a message via AIM to Supergper Send a message via MSN to Supergper Send a message via Yahoo to Supergper
Quote:
Originally posted by pure-adrenaline
I didn't know the MT/R's where doing well in Utah and New Mexico. My guess is it was Walkers driving more than the tires. We all know the BFG's rock and to prove it they had to make a rule to keep them out of RRCA.

exactly, I dont see MT/Rs consistantly placing like the BFGs do...sure there will be a vehicle here and there but nothing like the BFGs...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.