UROC Farmington - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2003, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7482
UROC Farmington

Who's coming to UROC in Farmington??
pure-adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
Go's without saying....

Going to drive thru Thurs PM, maybe the 11 AM start time is a good thing?? See you soon!
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Maxxis, Trail-Gear, Yukon Gear, Goatbuilt, Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, Ruffstuff specialties, Warn Winch, Rokit Enterprises, Viair, Edge Perf., Branik Motorsports, PRP seats, 12V unlimited, Bailie built, Alltech, Raceline
Go2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2003, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2769
Up coming events make front page news ...

Farmington Daily Times Friday, June 27 - Headlines

***************** cut >>>

Rock crawling events benefit community
By Bill Papich/For The Daily Times

FARMINGTON An area of rolling sandstone outcrops, boulders and cliffs in the Glade Run Recreation Area north of Farmington is not a jumble of worthless rocks.

The rocks' varied shapes and smooth surfaces attract competition rock crawlers from around the country and the large crowds that come to watch.

That means income for hotels, restaurants and all the other places rock crawlers and their spectators spend money locally.

"The numbers are hard to track," said Debbie Dusenbery of the Farmington Convention and Visitors Bureau, when asked how much money rock crawling events in the Glade contribute to the local economy. "It certainly brings people in."

For those not familiar with rock crawling, it is what the name implies: Machines typically customized Jeeps edging up the face of near cliffs or slowly rolling over boulders as big as the vehicles themselves. To the delight of spectators, rollovers are not uncommon and one event organizer guarantees a minimum number of rollovers.

So far this year there have been two rock crawling events in the Glade. Another is scheduled for Fourth of July weekend and there are plans for two more in the fall.

"It's quite a bit of my income stream now," said Jim Raine, manager of the Best Western Inn and Suites in Farmington. "They'll take as many as 60 to 70 rooms. They seem to have more disposable income."

Last year, a UROC rock crawling event in the Glade attracted about 100 competitors and 8,000 to 10,000 spectators over the course of a weekend, said Jackie Neckels, outdoor recreation planner for the Bureau of Land Management in Farmington. The Glade Run Recreation Area is public land administered by the BLM Farmington Field Office. Neckels said she has noticed rock crawlers aren't cheap, at least when it comes to spending money on their rigs.

"I've heard that they've got enough money to put $50,000 to $100,000 into a rock crawling machine," Neckels said.

Rock crawling promoters hold competitions throughout the United States, usually charging $10 to $15 admission. Events in the Glade usually last a couple days. The BLM receives a percentage of gross sales, the money going to the U.S. Treasury. Rock crawling promoters must qualify to receive a BLM permit for each event, meeting requirements that include providing spectator facilities and security.

The BLM Farmington Field Office has set aside an area in the Glade for rock crawling competition, where a long, large sandstone outcrop ascends from pion and juniper trees on gently sloping land arising from Glade Arroyo the wash in Chokecherry Canyon. During any given rock crawling event there may be three or four rock crawling machines participating at the same time at designated courses along the mass of stone.

The BLM provides parking and camping in areas near the competition area where rock crawlers are in the running for cash prizes. Some of the most spectacular rock crawling occurs at the "extreme" course a steep box canyon where spectators perch on cliffs looking down at rock crawlers below as they try to make it to the top without rolling backward end-over-end. The drivers, wearing crash helmets, are securely strapped in.

UROC will return to the Glade this Fourth of July weekend for the UROC Pro National Finals. UROC promoter Craig Stumph expects large crowds. "We have the top drivers in the world come to our events," Stumph said, adding that rock crawlers from as far away as Italy and Iceland compete.

He said UROC events average 37 rollovers. At the last three UROC events the one last October in Farmington and two in Utah an average of 88 competitors signed up, Stumph said.

"This is a big event (coming to Farmington) and there is a lot of money on the line." Stumph said, "They are going to push everything to the limit."
Jaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
I'm kinda bummed...Bec and I have to finish filming a documentary piece that weekend...Man, I'd love to hit the hills there but I'll be up in Vegas!
Good luck to everyone and we'll see you in Cedar City!
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
DSI
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 920
Send a message via Yahoo to DSI
despite the fact i'm probably going to end up with heat exhaustion... i'll be there
Old 06-27-2003, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Member # 1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance
we'll be there tuesday!
Old 06-27-2003, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 13648
The crew will be there wed. after noon.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 13536
Send a message via Yahoo to TerryHowe
I'll be rolling in Thursday.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 10
I'll be there Wednesday, prolly rolling in around Noon-ish.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7482
Terry I'm glad to see ya coming!
Old 06-28-2003, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5558
Re: UROC Farmington

Quote:
Originally posted by pure-adrenaline
Who's coming to UROC in Farmington??
I will be there pulling DSI around
Kensoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
DSI
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 920
Re: Re: UROC Farmington

Quote:
Originally posted by GPN Family

I will be there pulling DSI around

as long as the rice grinder stay's together
Old 06-28-2003, 08:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 26
I'll be there thursday night around midnight.
Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 15646
We'll be there Anybody heard where it's going to be?
Old 06-29-2003, 12:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 5558
Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKSFORBRAINS
Anybody heard where it's going to be?
My guess would be somewhere in New Mexico

Last edited by Kensoffroad; 06-29-2003 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:50 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 9328
Quote:
The BLM Farmington Field Office has set aside an area in the Glade for rock crawling competition, where a long, large sandstone outcrop ascends from pion and juniper trees on gently sloping land arising from Glade Arroyo the wash in Chokecherry Canyon.
Seems the world is shrinking, as has been discussed several times over the past couple months. Please, DO NOT do anything to make it shrink even further. From that sentence it can be implied that the BLM is not happy with competitions everywhere a promoter wants them in Chokecherry. Sounds to me like the possibilities are becoming limited. Anyone want to guess why.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 5558
That is from the news paper. There are a lot of inaccuracies in it. Seldom do reporters get things right. However I do agree that we need to be careful with how the land is used.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 15646
Quote:
Originally posted by GPN Family

My guess would be somewhere in New Mexico
Doh!...
originally posted by landuseorc
Quote:
Seems the world is shrinking, as has been discussed several times over the past couple months. Please, DO NOT do anything to make it shrink even further. From that sentence it can be implied that the BLM is not happy with competitions everywhere a promoter wants them in Chokecherry. Sounds to me like the possibilities are becoming limited. Anyone want to guess why.
So browns springs, then, huh. That's okay, if they can mix up a fresh batch of obstacles, I like the area.
A birdie was telling me how much it actually costs to develop (all of the environmental stuff, parking area, fencing, etc. etc.) an area to a standard that suits the BLM for a competition of the size of the supercrawl .....too cost prohibitive for one promoter to have multiple sites "developed" I guess.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 7482
its going to be at Brown Springs. I talked to Craig today and he said there will be no problem w/ making new cources we havn't already climbed.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 13536
Send a message via Yahoo to TerryHowe
Quote:
Originally posted by pure-adrenaline
Terry I'm glad to see ya coming!
I'd hate to miss any event in Farmington.

Got the rig painted yesterday and it is ready to slap on the trailer after today. I was still laying down the masking for this paint job when Sean was hitting it with the gun. Right Sean?

Some burning tiger stipes...
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/projects...t/DCP_0349.JPG
Old 07-01-2003, 12:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
Quote:
Originally posted by TerryHowe

Some burning tiger stipes...
VERY NICE...I think it looks even better than before!
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
DSI
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 920
rolling out around noon tomorrow for the lovely 1200+ mile drive should fall into farmington sometime around breakfast time

as long as there's no snow storm's and all 4 trailer tire's stay inflated
Old 07-01-2003, 06:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
I know I should know the answer...

do they sell food there?? Obviously I have not paid attention to those details before but if they don't I need to bring some extra for a larger group of family/friends.

Ken
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Maxxis, Trail-Gear, Yukon Gear, Goatbuilt, Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, Ruffstuff specialties, Warn Winch, Rokit Enterprises, Viair, Edge Perf., Branik Motorsports, PRP seats, 12V unlimited, Bailie built, Alltech, Raceline
Go2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:42 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 2769
Last time here, Craig had brought in a real good food vendor serving terakai chicken and a beef bowl.
Tip: I was standing in a long line for it on SuperCrawl Sunday, dog tired from walking the rocks taking pics for the board when I noticed drivers, crew and staff members going to the back door of the food vendor's trailer were they were passing out free drinks and grub on the quick! So I waltzed over with my UROC "Staff" media badge and got the job done ... and with a good 'thanks' to boot!
It won't work for your family but at least you will be able to grab a quick meal and drink without having to stand in line.
Jaffer is offline   Reply With Quote