Jack's cartwheel @ NEUROC Video - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2003, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2058
Send a message via ICQ to Foxfab Send a message via AIM to Foxfab Send a message via Yahoo to Foxfab
Jack's cartwheel @ NEUROC Video

Glad he's ok.

http://www.foxfab4x4.com/NEUROC/Sept...s/MOV00452.MPG
Old 09-08-2003, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2804
Send a message via AIM to Imkunfused Send a message via Yahoo to Imkunfused
so why was the gas pinned.. mechnical malfunction or did he get knocked out.. If he was turning the tires i could see him pinning the gas trying to right it, but it was just sitting there full throttle
Old 09-08-2003, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2058
Send a message via ICQ to Foxfab Send a message via AIM to Foxfab Send a message via Yahoo to Foxfab
Jack was knocked unconcious for a few minutes due to the impact. He had scratches on his helmet also so he did hit something with his head. I was one of the guys that helped get him out and was the guy who drove the ambulance to the scene when everyone got "moth to the lightbulb" syndrome. My best guess would be that his foot and body went limp and pushed the skinny pedal to the metal.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2804
Yeah, ive seen it happen. I work for one of the west coast Rockcrawling Leagues. Even tho the guy wont admit he was knocked silly for a second. Fun listening to a YJ with a Cobra SVT 5.0 in it, bouncing off the rev limiter as he's doing 3 rolls down a hill
Old 09-09-2003, 04:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
Quote:
Originally posted by ImKuNfusED
Yeah, ive seen it happen. I work for one of the west coast Rockcrawling Leagues. Even tho the guy wont admit he was knocked silly for a second. Fun listening to a YJ with a Cobra SVT 5.0 in it, bouncing off the rev limiter as he's doing 3 rolls down a hill
Yeah, he was out and limp after the 1st roll, so lucky it was in nuetral cuz I think it woulda climbed into the crowd or atleast hurt someone
Old 09-09-2003, 05:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 21399
It was not in nuetral. The driver front left a nice donut on the rock it was on.

It took a bit for the judges to find the cut off and finally dove inside and hit the driver kill switch......
mark99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2804
Quote:
Originally posted by mark99tj
It was not in nuetral. The driver front left a nice donut on the rock it was on.

It took a bit for the judges to find the cut off and finally dove inside and hit the driver kill switch......
We were talking about the guy who rolled on my course last year at an event
Old 09-09-2003, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 21399
Oh.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1170
Quote:
Originally posted by mark99tj

Some of the promoters should take this into consideration. I think the master switches should be mounted to the grill or rear or the vehicle(depending where the battery is mounted) to make it easier for the judges to kill the power in this situation. Putting the master on the dash is just STUPID, if the driver in still concous he/she can just turn the key/ignition switch off.

Ryan
Old 09-09-2003, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11134
Send a message via AIM to beerisgood
I agree, make it like drag racing, where there's a predetermined spot for it.
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="Red"]Flaming Weasel Marketing and Promotion-Your full service sponsorship locator, proposal creation, and servicing company. I don’t make money unless you do-100% commission. 50% of all sales from PBB will be donated to land use organizations. Send a PM to see what we can do to help you. [/FONT][/COLOR]
Téigh trasna ort féin
I need a CTD engine...have one for sale?
beerisgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2003, 10:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2804
Quote:
Originally posted by RealJeepMan

Putting the master on the dash is just STUPID, if the driver in still concous he/she can just turn the key/ignition switch off.

Ryan
I agree.. Id really hate to reach inside a rig to turn it off if its going full steam. All it would take is for the sidewall of the tire or something to grab, and it would be goodnight for me.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 21399
The rules state that if it is fuel injected, they need a cutoff. I think the guy just did not know where it was. Which, brings up the point that maybe the judges have a responsibility to know where it is when the vehicle starts.

Don't get me wrong though-- the staff at NEUROC did a great job making sure Jack was extracted, and no additional damage was done. It is easy to Monday morning quarterback this, but when it counted, the staff did a great job and with this experience, they will be able to do an even better job if called upon.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
Ian, the west coast Tree Nazi judge always asks each competitor where their kill switch is and also asks them to show how his/her seatbelt realeases. Though he's a nazi about this stuff, we need all officials to take a few anal lessons from him as things would be safer and more consistant. It only takes a second for them to ask and even though he knows me and my rig well, he still asks every time...truely a judge that does a complete job of judging.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2003, 04:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 2058
NEUROC rules state that the kill switch must be opposite the engine and be readily accessible to anyone outside of the truck. Not everyone follows this though.

As for the judges, on any obstacle where there is a better than average chance of me going on my lid, the judge verified where my kill switch was before I started. But, this is only the judge at the start gate, so the other 3 on the courses still have no clue where it is. Communications between each judge on a course needs to be looked at. Shouting doesnt always work.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 8435
Send a message via AIM to rkcrawl
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxfab
NEUROC rules state that the kill switch must be opposite the engine and be readily accessible to anyone outside of the truck. Not everyone follows this though.
Last time I read their rules(I just went to recheck to see if they changed it but the site seems down), it stated must be at either the front or the rear. There are potential problems with any location you put it... It could have just as easily been at the rear of the rig and up against a rock and not accessible....

Bottom line: I am glad Jack is OK.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 8228
Send a message via AIM to broncorob
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxfab
Yeah tell me about it. Our first time at Neuroc the "judges" went over my rig with a fine toothed comb pointing out everything they could think of, most of which I had to break out the rule book and prove them wrong. Then you get the guys that have been there that they know that barely have to go thru tech. I bet half the rigs run a kill switch that complies with the rules
Old 09-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 13460
There are some issues that are being worked out, remember this was the first real season that NEUROC existed and the last comp was the best because the people who run it learned from the prior two. This event will also bring more learning to the table and I am sure the judges will be more aware of kill switches next year.
coilcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2003, 04:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 12385
The vid is good - too bad MR CLEAN's head was in the way for the final landing.

This wasn't Jacks first roll on that obstacle, but hopefully the LAST!! Third times' the charm Jack!
SeeJeepGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2003, 06:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 2058
From NEUROC website. Looks like they're updating things:

All vehicles using electrical fuel pumps must be equipped with a battery cutoff switch. The switch must be located on either end of the vehicle (front or rear) as far from the engine as possible and accessible to the spotter and course workers.

The way Kyle explained this to me on the NEUROC BBS is if your engine is in the front, then the switch must be in the rear. If the engine is in the rear, then your switch must be in the front. Plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally posted by rkcrawl

Last time I read their rules(I just went to recheck to see if they changed it but the site seems down), it stated must be at either the front or the rear. There are potential problems with any location you put it... It could have just as easily been at the rear of the rig and up against a rock and not accessible....

Bottom line: I am glad Jack is OK.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 1065
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

Yeah, he was out and limp after the 1st roll, so lucky it was in nuetral cuz I think it woulda climbed into the crowd or atleast hurt someone
No, I was not out, I watched everything all the way to the final stop.
No, I was not limp, but I was being tossed around like a rag doll.
No, It was not luck that it was out of gear, I purposely slammed it out of gear, when I realized I was in trouble.
I reached for the ignition too, but in its old location, it was nearly impossible to reach once I started trying to brace myself.
The reason a rig often revs out of control once the roll starts is because the driver tenses up for the impact. If the drivers foot is on the throttle when the roll starts, its very hard to lift his foot off of it untill he can relaxe a bit.
With my cut off where it is located now, right next to me on a console on my right hand side. I can easily slam the shifter out of gear, and hit the cut off even in a turbulent situation. In a recent rollover(again on James course), it worked great. When I came to a stop on my wheels, I was able to just fire the rig back up and keep going,..... once everyone was satisfied I was fine.
I also have a 5 point harness now,...although I only tighten them for really crazy obstacles.
I think all of the sanctioning competitions are learning from experience, and the rigs are becomming safer all the time.

Personally my rollover looked pretty spectacullar but, it really wasnt that bad. I was able to continue competing that day and actually had one of the better scores of the day on the next obstacle.

Jacks roll looked pretty scarry, Im glad he was ok.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 2804
Quote:
Originally posted by H8monday

. I can easily slam the shifter out of gear, and hit the cut off even in a turbulent situation. In a recent rollover(again on James course), it worked great.
Yeah i noticed it shut off when you rolled in fernly.. i bet you loved me working the stock mods last event didnt ya? Well dont worry, ill be back on promod hopefully down in JV
Old 09-11-2003, 06:50 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 3914
Send a message via AIM to DogDenII
Quote:
Originally posted by SeeJeepGo
too bad MR CLEAN's head was in the way for the final landing.
you are such an azz

Never once did you think that it could be someone on this board reading this thread did you?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 8228
Send a message via AIM to broncorob
Quote:
Originally posted by DogDenII

you are such an azz

Never once did you think that it could be someone on this board reading this thread did you?
Boo fawking hoo man.
Don't be so sensitive. Not here anyways
Old 09-11-2003, 11:48 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 14425
Quote:
Originally posted by RedBullJeep
Ian, the west coast Tree Nazi judge always asks each competitor where their kill switch is and also asks them to show how his/her seatbelt realeases. Though he's a nazi about this stuff, we need all officials to take a few anal lessons from him as things would be safer and more consistant. It only takes a second for them to ask and even though he knows me and my rig well, he still asks every time...truely a judge that does a complete job of judging.
Dustin,

This guy was at Pro-Rock at the ranch wasnt he? USMC tatoo on his calf? Yes, he is very thorough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.