What does it take? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2004, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 28
Send a message via AIM to Rock Toy
What does it take?

I have taken the next step in my rockcrawling career and finally bought a buggy chassis. With any luck, I should have it done in the next 2-3 months. Now that I am almost there, I am starting to decide whether or not this will be a custom trail buggy or a comp rig. It will be set up for comp so my questions are simple and straightforward. Keep in mind that I plan on staying local in CA and competing in CalROCS only:

_ What are the time commitments, both per comp and outside of the comps?
_ What are the financial responcibilities? How much can I expect to spend?
_ Will this augment or ruin my trail riding? I got into this sport for the pleasure of spending a weekend on the trail with my old lady. I'm not willing to give this up, yet I am fiercly competitive. What to do?

I am sure these questions may have been asked before but I need to know first hand from those that have taken the plunge on this page.

Thanks guys!!!

Sergei, aka Rock Toy
Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 34257
How much vacation time do you have? I compete more often than I wheel recreationally. Each competition takes at least four days, plus a few days to fix/prepare the rig. If you do five or six comps per season you will find not nearly as much time for recreational wheeling. The cost is possible to calculate. Entry fee+gas money+broken parts+hotem room, etc...
RME-RockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2004, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7482
It takes a lot of time and money! If you start to compete you can forget playing on the weekends in the same rig. You can plan on about $1000.00 per event. 4 days gone from home.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 15084
I agree with $1000.00 an event and 4 days off. Just make sure you can commit financially to the season and then go for it. You need to plan on some breakage and repairs also. I built my junk and have been building up a whole bunch of spares to take to the events with me.

I did a lot of recreational wheeling also. I have a Jeep for camping and only took it out twice this year. My competition rig is just to much fun. It makes ay trail pretty easy but is still a blast. So to answer your question, I did a lot of rec wheeling but obviously the competitions committed me to 4 weekends this year. They were a blast.

I built a modified rig for a couple reasons but most significantly so I could still use it recreationally.
SuperRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 18298
Send a message via AIM to Scott Jensen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRanger
I agree with $1000.00 an event and 4 days off. Just make sure you can commit financially to the season and then go for it. You need to plan on some breakage and repairs also. I built my junk and have been building up a whole bunch of spares to take to the events with me.

I did a lot of recreational wheeling also. I have a Jeep for camping and only took it out twice this year. My competition rig is just to much fun. It makes ay trail pretty easy but is still a blast. So to answer your question, I did a lot of rec wheeling but obviously the competitions committed me to 4 weekends this year. They were a blast.

I built a modified rig for a couple reasons but most significantly so I could still use it recreationally.

which rig is yours? have any pics? thanks
Scott Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 10425
Send a message via AIM to skulltoy
Here is a picture of Brads rig.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2004, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 18298
ohhhh me likes! whats the skins suppost to look like?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 18298
ranger?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13688
yes, at least 1k per comp, supercrawl was 2.5k, and alot of time off and sleepless nights.

I broke one 60 r/p, 2 tranny's (one bad rebuild, 1 cracked housing), one steering ram).

And every year i drop a ton of coin in upgrades that would be un-necessary in a non comp rig.

I bet i spend 15k a year on wheelin, 10-12 on comp related stuff/trips, 3-5 on rec.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 15084
Ranger.

It is liscensed, insured, and even passes emmisions!

Last edited by SuperRanger; 11-11-2004 at 04:01 PM.
SuperRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 28
Send a message via AIM to Rock Toy
Alright. $1,000 per comp isn't so bad considering the $$$ I have into it already. I almost wish I had waited eight months.....now that all these buggies are on the market.

Well, if everything goes according to plan, I'll see you guys out on the competition circuit this year.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 4456
this year by the time i paid entrys and rooms food etc etc...i prob spent about 1k a weekend...also have to consider the entrys are goin up next year too....also..i would normaly only have to take friday off work...but the farther ones like san deigo and vegas i would take 2 days off work..so unless ya have vac time built up...plan on that...this year was my first year competing...and last year...unless i can get a sponsor..I plan on jumpin back in it for the 2006 season but need to save some cash and get out of debt again from this year
Chaz M is offline   Reply With Quote