RCQ course opinions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 84970
Send a message via AIM to Xjcrawler736
RCQ course opinions

Being on the Rausch Creek staff on Friday for the race. And seeing 10 out of 35 finish the race, I just wanted to see what the racers thought about the course.

I talked to a couple of the teams (Bigelow, DozerDan and TR motorsports) after the race in the pits and heard what they had to say about the race. And Lou has already posted what he thought.

What you liked, what you didn't like, did you expect what the course through at you? Guys from out of area especially.

None of that "make it easier" crap, it is the king of the hammers, it needs to be bad ass.

I ran the high speed section and most of the rest of the course besides Jotters. I liked the course but know I would have broke if I was against the clock.

Ultra4 #4343 Co-driver - Molten Motorsports
Xjcrawler736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
I didn't like running two sections of Rock Creek and the only consolation to not finishing is we only did 4 times of it not 10. I see why it was used in the race but its not hard on 40s it just sucks and is boring honestly. I tried to make it more exciting by passing someone through the tree "island" in the middle of the course but that was about the only excitement there.

Otherwise the course was awesome and I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe a permanent winch anchor on jotters although this is the first time I've ever not made that obstacle. in the pouring rain Thursday morning we made it through on the first shot. I'm still kicking myself for being in that log jam of death in lap one
whypave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 135994
Quote:
Originally Posted by whypave View Post
I didn't like running two sections of Rock Creek and the only consolation to not finishing is we only did 4 times of it not 10. I see why it was used in the race but its not hard on 40s it just sucks and is boring honestly. I tried to make it more exciting by passing someone through the tree "island" in the middle of the course but that was about the only excitement there.

SWEET pass, got to see that happen first hand
AFtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
We had expected more faster stuff and less of the 'trail 2'/blue kind of stuff.

As a result we spent a lot of time tuning the rig for going fast, and had it totally dialed in at the 60 MPH mark. It still worked great, and it was one of the only rigs still moving under its own power at the end of the race, but it was pretty stiff through the blue trails and the guys got pretty beat up because of it. We're probably gonna knock the frequency down on all 4 corners by a little bit to make the ride a little more compliant for general trail riding. The terrain itself wasn't unexpected, we just misjudged the proportions a little.

I wasn't expecting the trail to go over the concrete, but I thought that was pretty cool.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 84970
Quote:
Originally Posted by whypave View Post
That seems to be the general feedback. I am glad that Bruce and Kyle didn't go with the original plan of running the entire Creek.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 77779
Even though I only completed a lap and a half I did see the entire course. I would say I thought it was very well marked, I was never confused about which way I had to go. It was very fun and it had a little bit of everything thrown in. I did not mind the Rock Creek section, but if I had been able to run the whole race I could see it would get old quick. I was happy when I got out of the first section and when I saw the second section I was like "damn, here we go again". But today sitting here at work I would give anything to have had to run that section 5 times on Friday.

Great job on the course and I hope that their is a race next year there, I will be back for sure if it is.
Retired Driver #4447
Bench racing with a keyboard
bigsilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 27978
The reason for the 2nd part of rock creek was because of the rain we had the weeks before and day before the event. We had planned on taking you out sooner and up the hill but those trails would have been all mud (you had enough dirt as it was) so that is the reason for the 2nd part.

I am glad we took out a few of the climbs that was layed out months ago

Everyone learns from a 1st event set up like this race. It will be better next time for sure.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3547
Personally, I don't know how it could be better - it was flat out nasty awesome. The "fast" section was uber-fun I could do 20 laps of that, but the rough stuff was punishing - as it should be. Course was very well marked which was awesome and allowed us to haul ass. We even made 2 passes in the creek and were wheel to wheel with one guy in there - it was fun.

The second run in the creek reminded me of what a drill instructor would call an "attitude check", as in make you do something hard, rest for a minute, then throw something else hard at you rigt away, saying: "you wanna quit now boy?"

Great job Bruce and all crew - thanks!
BillaVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Send a message via AIM to jhama78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillaVista View Post
Personally, I don't know how it could be better - it was flat out nasty awesome. The "fast" section was uber-fun I could do 20 laps of that, but the rough stuff was punishing - as it should be. Course was very well marked which was awesome and allowed us to haul ass. We even made 2 passes in the creek and were wheel to wheel with one guy in there - it was fun.

The second run in the creek reminded me of what a drill instructor would call an "attitude check", as in make you do something hard, rest for a minute, then throw something else hard at you rigt away, saying: "you wanna quit now boy?"

Great job Bruce and all crew - thanks!

Well put.

p.s. your rig sounded fawkin awesome... especially blasting by the pits at 6-7k rpms after the road crossing headed towards jotters hill.

85 Roach Build Thread

84 Toy Farm Beater
85 Toy Trail Roach
85 Toy SR5 xcab DD
88 4Runner Fambly Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
Don't get me wrong Bruce I thought the course was flat out awesome. when we talked Thursday morning about whether crawl daddy was in the race and you said it wasn't I was initially bummed but then when I was pre-running in the pouring rain I knew exactly why you didn't keep it in the race.

I'd run Rock Creek 100 times for the chance to race the RCQ next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady TJ View Post
The reason for the 2nd part of rock creek was because of the rain we had the weeks before and day before the event. We had planned on taking you out sooner and up the hill but those trails would have been all mud (you had enough dirt as it was) so that is the reason for the 2nd part.

I am glad we took out a few of the climbs that was layed out months ago

Everyone learns from a 1st event set up like this race. It will be better next time for sure.
whypave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6494
I hope Rock Creek stays in it. That was brutally rough for just ho hum rocks. We passed 1 team in there, went wheel 2 wheel with another team, and would've passed more if the buggy had stayed together.

I think there was a good mix between high speed, tight 2 track, rocks, and the comp course. Wish I wouldn't have rolled on it, but I didn't get to prerun and was way to the left when we dropped off the ledge.

If it's going to be run when it's wet out, can we get more passes through the creek that was clear. I hit that one at full bore just to wash everything off
#914 Pampered Chef Buggy

Companies we're proud to work with
East Coast Gear Supply
Reid Racing
RCV Performance Axles
Rose Grinding & MFG
Single Source Welding

Northern member of MUD DEVILS
EasyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 25935
I loved all of it. The high speed section I could have run about 50-60 miles of that, my favorite by far. The rock creek section made me think about peeing in my pants everytime I went through there, but it wasn't bad. Starting in the last couple of groups and waiting at Jotters for what seemed to be 20 minutes really sucked, but that's the way it goes. Not taking anything away from anyone ..but starting near the front and reaching jotters and the next climb without a traffic jam was a huge advantage. The course was marked great, never lost my way. The spectators and event staff were awesome. I tried to stop and ask everyone I knew personally if they needed anything however, near the last lap or so a competitor walking out stopped me and asked for a ride, I turned him down. Whomever that was I'm sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick, I just had the passengers seat full of stuff and was in 4th at the time. It was awesome and I'd run again if there was one monthly.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Send a message via AIM to DOUG38S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGWOODY View Post
The high speed section I could have run about 50-60 miles of that, my favorite by far.
you'll love Johnson Valley.
BIGELOW MOTORSPORTS #4413
DOUG38S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 11594
Send a message via AIM to slipscomb Send a message via MSN to slipscomb Send a message via Yahoo to slipscomb
I thought the course was awsome! It had everything Rausch had to offer, from flat out high speed runs to steep dirt climbs to winding twisty trails to rock face climbs. It was punishing! I wish we had of kept the buggy running as we seemed to be in 5th place after the first lap and Dean was making good time (even with a flat front tire). I hear Billavista about losing the weight. I litterally passed out after running out past Crawlers Ridge to diagnose an engine problem. After spending about 45 min. in the back of the meat wagon I had to take the rest of the day off. That course was NOT meant to be ran on foot! However it was just the type of course that I would expect for King of the Hammers. Good job guys!

Sean Lipscomb
Old 05-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 13959
Send a message via AIM to 87JeepWrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
We had expected more faster stuff and less of the 'trail 2'/blue kind of stuff.

As a result we spent a lot of time tuning the rig for going fast, and had it totally dialed in at the 60 MPH mark. It still worked great, and it was one of the only rigs still moving under its own power at the end of the race, but it was pretty stiff through the blue trails and the guys got pretty beat up because of it. We're probably gonna knock the frequency down on all 4 corners by a little bit to make the ride a little more compliant for general trail riding. The terrain itself wasn't unexpected, we just misjudged the proportions a little.

I wasn't expecting the trail to go over the concrete, but I thought that was pretty cool.
exactly.

[URL="http://www.tr-motorsports.com"]TR Motorsports #108[/URL]
87JeepWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 26750
I thought it was great. It was not what I expected, but it was the right amount of everything.The high speed was fawking cool as hell......... Shame my truck was runnning on 5-6 cylinders by the end of the race
broncolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 84970
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87JeepWrangler View Post
exactly.
I thought the same thing about the blue level trails when I ran the course. My rig just couldn't handle it. High speed and rock crawls were one thing. Trying to keep speed when sneaky rocks are all over the place is another.

Glad you all liked the course and the park. Rausch is my local park and home away from home and it feels great to see all of your feedback.