Gipson Racing KOH 2010 Story - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 64619
Send a message via MSN to DoveTail96 Send a message via Yahoo to DoveTail96
Gipson Racing KOH 2010 Story

Quite the year for us this year. Being our third year of running this amazing race it has changed and grown more then anybody could have guessed I think. Our team has grown and changed the same way. This years story was more amazing then ever and here it is.

3 weeks before Koh 2010 my tow rig engine failed. with no time or money to fix it and already telling Hammerking I would be there it was on to find another mode of transport to Johnson Valley. will rentals, and even driving the race car to KOH mentioned my friend and 2 year KOH supporter "no crew Chief" Steve Holice offered to tow my truck and trailer to KOH. With that out of the way we focused all of our efforts alongside last years co-driver and our buggy fabricator Steve Peterson of Xtreme Motorworks to get the rig tech and race ready. Heading to KOH a week early we figured we would have plenty of time to pre run for the LCQ event and work any bugs out. LOL were we wrong. Adam Phister and I alongside our team got dialed in and ready for Tuesday. We did the LCQ in amazing fashion. We were one of if not the fastest team to the backdoor trail. We had one shotted the main fall the day before with 7lbs less air in my tires. We took 5 or 6 trys and got the back over far enough to get up the main fall. with the window nets up and doors on my vision was impaired a bit form the previous day and I missed one of the ledges we needed to make the left side. In doing so we rolled going up hill and sheered off all of the wheel studs on the passenger side front wheel. With the wheel broken we were out of the race and spectating with all of the other folks sitting in the canyon.

Awesome view however and with all the cameras in one area we were bound to get some press and video time maybe. Tom Beebe and I chatted for a few hours as my team and strangers repaired my broken front axle and other teams winched and ran their rigs up the waterfall of Backdoor. It was amazing all the people that heckled the hard working teams trying to finish the LCQ and get a spot in the main event. hecklers will always be there when you are struggling and your best friend when you succeed, just part of the game. With 3 wheel studs in each side we drove out of the there up the second ledge with little effort and back to camp to asses the situation.

We still had a chance for the PSC Lucky dog opening. Working away the team fixed the car as I went from camp to camp trying to find wheel studs. jimmy's 4x4 came to the rescue and donated 6 new wheel studs to us. Amazing team and effort they had with Loren winning the King of the Hammers coming from the LCQ. Fixed and on the trail to watch the 2nd LCQ event I heard a bad sound coming from the chassis and engine. Turning out to be a bad rod bearing and a ring and pinion going away. With a whole new set of issues and a never say quit attitude we went to work. ROD BEARINGS IN enclosed trailer the night before the possible race if we got it. Well Skuba Steve, Gene, Bill, Al, Donny, Darrin, Adam Phister all stepped up and we got going on it. Currie Enterprise got us going with new ring and Pinions while Steve replaced rod bearings. Thanks to the Marlin Crew for the torque wrench. "sorry for scaring you in the canyon John but that was pretty cool..LOL"

Dave Cole walks in the trailer with a bit of interesting news that the Canadian team of Chris Pook's could not get their car down there in time and if we wanted to team up. well since we had not been choosen for the lucky dog spot we said yes and now it was a bigger rush to get the car ready to tech and race Friday. So all day Thursday was a tech inspection and pre race day. Having issues with the fuel tank firewall tech rule we had to make a few trips to Rockstomper scott before he passed us. with our stickers in place and team in order it was pre race night. all the Canadian's and our team made a huge effort to get all the race gear on the truck.

Race day Chris Pook driving to mile 12 and me riding. For the first time in my own car. BFG I am out Bernie is in and they are off for a few hours all the way out around the big loop and back. Loosing a few panels along the way they were hauling ass getting up to 30ish place or so. Adam and I jumped in and we were off for Elvis, resolution, back door, main pit. I think in hindsite were were supposed to stop and trade at main pit but we were haulin and passing so we kept on all the way to 13th place up the top of Jackhammer where I made a wrong turn and put the rig on its side. Right before that having a little battle with John James and Jason Sheere being highcentered like a turtle watching both go by me. LOL. So we are oin our side and I get out shut down the fuel and fluids. Tell Adam to get the high lift off. We jack it up and flip it over. Without looking it over very well we turned the gas on and were on the roa#&##.. Wait we have no steering. we broke the front ram mount with the hard slam to the side as I tryed to save it. Also we find a broken front shaft as we ratchet straped the ram down and continued down Jack. Making almost all the way to the next check at bottom of Sledge we broke the rachet straps. With a few ideas gone bad we turned the hydro ram down where the fittings couldn't move and installed vise grips for spacers and taped the handles with a good ratchet strap for down pressure on the ram. We were off again and still in the race with this being 7pm now. 10pm deadline we would winch the rest of the hard areas in Sledge and finish the race. Making it half way up Sledge our power cut out and we discovered a electrical short or dead alternator. With no power we were finished and in short time being used for traction on the first climb of Sledge. Forgeting our survival pack and glow sticks we walked in the dark back to the checkpoint and radioed for help from the crew.

116 miles we traveled and ended up driving to the finish out of there later that night after the 10pm deadline. We sure gave er hell though and thanks to all that helped it happen. Not bad for a small team with a hell of a lot riding against them. Thats life in the Hammers. Tough love and no forgiveness. Our team was glad to be there and very excited for Loren Healy that won this year coming from the LCQ event. Awesome job Loren. You will all see Gipson Racing at KOH 2011
KOH 08,09,10,11,13 racer from Seattle,Wa Larry Gipson #96 "Last year Larry Gipson and I choose to run and get a tire rather then risk being a trail tampon. It was a bitch, but will likely remain one of my best memories of the race." -Jeff Knoll

Last edited by DoveTail96; 05-28-2010 at 12:08 AM.
DoveTail96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
You gaver 'er hell in the LCQ, that's for sure. I was shocked to see your truck off the line at the main race, but also glad to see it after the effort you put forth. Here's some pics I got of you guys, enjoy!

Last edited by Wilson; 02-15-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 133164
It's a lot easier to read if it isn't bold...and has paragraphs.
Caswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 292
I didn't realize that was you Larry. With no side panels I couldn't tell. I can tell you that your rig sounded bad ass at 9000 RPM while you were getting me back for crawling around/over you . That was fun!!!!!
X-Chassis #12
6 time KOH finisher
2008/2009 W.E. Rock West Coast Series Champion
2008 Pro Rock Champion
Just "HAMMER" it!!
My Buildup /forum/general-4x4-discussion/298203-desertoy-mustard-dog-build-pair-x-chassis.html
desertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
hey did ya know you can remove and change the studs without taking off the knuckles? Just need to remove the unit bearings.

Experience is what you get 30 seconds after you need it

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 64619
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertoy View Post
I didn't realize that was you Larry. With no side panels I couldn't tell. I can tell you that your rig sounded bad ass at 9000 RPM while you were getting me back for crawling around/over you . That was fun!!!!!

WE were haulin ass and having a great time. I knew it was you and wish you would have known it was me. we could have battled a bit more. I was trying to pass you with caution and that full throttle assault was a little scary. LOL thought I was going over. Had to give er the coals.. Glad you finished John..
KOH 08,09,10,11,13 racer from Seattle,Wa Larry Gipson #96 "Last year Larry Gipson and I choose to run and get a tire rather then risk being a trail tampon. It was a bitch, but will likely remain one of my best memories of the race." -Jeff Knoll
Old 02-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 77424
It was a fun time Larry. We gave her hell and put all we had into it.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fab:30

Member # 112255
It was really cool meeting you and hanging out with you, Larry. I was part of the group that brought you tools and helped you get off of back door on Tuesday. Thanks for letting me borrow some tools too. You've got one of the best attitudes of anyone I met out there. You definitely put on the best show at LCQ. If you need any help next year, let me know. We would be happy to pit for you or wrench for you any day. Hopefully you get a real invite to the race next year, since you've been part of KOH from the beginning.
xo_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 64619
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_jeep View Post
It was really cool meeting you and hanging out with you, Larry. I was part of the group that brought you tools and helped you get off of back door on Tuesday. Thanks for letting me borrow some tools too. You've got one of the best attitudes of anyone I met out there. You definitely put on the best show at LCQ. If you need any help next year, let me know. We would be happy to pit for you or wrench for you any day. Hopefully you get a real invite to the race next year, since you've been part of KOH from the beginning.

Thanks a lot man. It was a huge help to our team. I got two invites to this race and equipment failure took me out both years and our alternator now this year. I don't care what anybody says when Chris handed off the buggy after whoopin ass to 30ish or better position Adam and I raced to 13th when we lost our steering ram mount and alternator. We were on track to top ten it this year. We will be back next year and give er hell again huh Adam..
Old 02-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 64619
some pics from koh 2010
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Paying for others

Member # 38032
I am not sure why but you are growing on me Larry, I may be starting to like you. Good job on giving her hell and not appologizing for it.
Shady Lady VIP #13
jeepcrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 64619
more pics
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 145175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveTail96 View Post
Thanks a lot man. It was a huge help to our team. I got two invites to this race and equipment failure took me out both years and our alternator now this year. I don't care what anybody says when Chris handed off the buggy after whoopin ass to 30ish or better position Adam and I raced to 13th when we lost our steering ram mount and alternator. We were on track to top ten it this year. We will be back next year and give er hell again huh Adam..
Hell yes we are and I will continue to remind you along the way "Larry, I know you can see 'em, keep the damn rig together, we will be there in a little bit". I used that line because it sounded a lot better than "Larry, slow down, I am getting a little scared right now"

Mall, Crawl or Haul - let us know what you are looking for and we can make it happen.

Anysevenoffroad.com 510-227-6645
AnySevenOffroad on facebook
AnySevenOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 64619
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcrazie View Post
I am not sure why but you are growing on me Larry, I may be starting to like you. Good job on giving her hell and not appologizing for it.

We may not have much to race with or many people that support us but damnit we sure as hell appreciate everything and everybody that we have behind us. I will never quit driving our buggy the way it was meant to be driven. Full throttle bouncing off the rev limiter crawling over big ass rocks and doing cool stuff. I will always be careful of people around me and or in the rig with me but when it is race time I want our team to win. You don't win by just finishing in 40th place. There is ONE King of the Hammers a year so why not make your presence known.. I promise you that even though we have never finished a KOH event, more people know of our team then some of the others out there. We are no better or worse then them just different. When I set out to do something I follow through with it. Even if I never finish a KOH I have a had a awesome time along the way..
Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Paying for others

Member # 38032
Quote:
We may not have much to race with or many people that support us but damnit we sure as hell appreciate everything and everybody that we have behind us. I will never quit driving our buggy the way it was meant to be driven. Full throttle bouncing off the rev limiter crawling over big ass rocks and doing cool stuff. I will always be careful of people around me and or in the rig with me but when it is race time I want our team to win. You don't win by just finishing in 40th place. There is ONE King of the Hammers a year so why not make your presence known.. I promise you that even though we have never finished a KOH event, more people know of our team then some of the others out there. We are no better or worse then them just different. When I set out to do something I follow through with it. Even if I never finish a KOH I have a had a awesome time along the way..
Good on you my friend, I wish you luck in this season of racing and hope you do well. Just remember, the way the rig was meant to be driven is with all 4 tires on the ground
Shady Lady VIP #13
jeepcrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 91081
love the toyota skinz man!

this is probably the sickest pic ever!

Last edited by dropmytaco; 02-17-2010 at 01:29 PM.
dropmytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 64619
damn cool. If thats not gettin it I don't know what is..Thanks for sharing
Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 82770
Great story Larry! It was good to meet you and I'm sure we will be swaping paint somewhere down the line.
Pac Springs
Dynomax
King Shocks
Spidertrax
lxh0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 145175
I wrote this on a small local board and thought I would share it with you guys as well. Just my run down of what our team did last week for the race. I am not the emotional guy what so ever but it was pretty interesting with all of the emotional changes that happened with our team coming up to and including race day. There are probably run on sentences, bad grammar, and all sorts of other things wrong with it but I don't have the time to proof read it so you get it in raw form.....

Here is a run down of what our team did over the week.

We went after first place on LCQ, there were some $ to be made for winning it. Got on the gas on the second waterfall about a foot or two too early. We didn't get our other front tire on the ledge before hitting it so we slid over and rolled the rig. That climb is easily done from the line that we took but you have to hammer on it once you get the fronts up on the ledge, you have to stick with it and keep wheel speed or you don't end up climbing and just roll over. That was how we sheered the studs on the passenger side front, by keeping on it but didn't get the both fronts up first. There were more safe lines that did not risk much but also took more time. It was a gamble and we lost.

We knew there was a PSC "lucky dog" spot (vendor bought position in the race for them to pick a winner out of the LCQ people that did not qualify) so we put the rig back together in hopes of getting that "golden ticket". We had heard that they were looking at picking us for this. Did a little more running of the course and realized we had broken some teeth off in the rear R&P. Currie was onsite so we headed over there to swap the gears, they only had 5.43s and we were running 5.83s so back to camp to pull the other R&P and swapped both over. We heard some rod knock and out came more tools. Steve rebuilt the bottom end of the engine in the enclosed trailer and were ready for the race. Come to find out that PSC picked someone else for the lucky dog spot. It hit us like a ton of bricks. We had worked so hard to get everything together to get race ready but nothing.

Not 30 minutes after we heard the news about not getting picked, Dave Cole knocked on the trailer door and gave us some information. Chris Pook from Canada didn't get his rig together in time for the race BUT had a position in the race. We gave him a call and he had a plane booked for the next morning and we were once again getting ready for the race. He was going to drive Larry's rig for the first half of the race and we were going to drive the last. The first part of the race was mostly desert with some trails thrown in and Chris came in to race mile 75 at BFG pit in a very respectable position. Larry and I jumped in ready to hit it hard. We went out into the desert driving as fast as we could but slow enough to keep the rig together which ranged from 40 mph in the ruff stuff to 80 mph in the easier terrain. I later found out that Jason Scherer was clocked in at 134 mph in our 80 mph sections - talk about hauling some ass. Although it seemed like he was out of site, we were passing people every 10 or 15 minutes so we were making positions. Passed Scherer broken down on Bolderdash, it was a weird excitement although he was broken, we were passing last years winner. I am friends with Scherer and would never wish a breakdown to anyone, it was just a kind of candid excitement that rushed over me to know how much time he had invested into preparing to win this race and here we were farther down the coarse than both him and Shannon Cambell (who had transmission troubles). Just some guys with regular 5 gallon gas containers at our pits in 13th place in one of the hardest offroad races ever as others have called it. It didn't last long, we missed a turn around mile 115. I missed it on our GPS as I had zoomed in for the rock section and but not out for the fast section on top of the mountain, the arrows on track had been taken out by someone in front of us that had missed the same turn. We were on two wheels and tried to drive out of it which meant more gas and turning down the mountain, one of the tires caught and high sided us to the other side of the rig. Emotions were flung from what the hell just happened, am I alright, is Larry alright, what is dripping on me - wheww, just a water bottle that cracked, is the rig alright, how are we going to get it back over. We tried to flip it back over with a couple turns of the steering wheel and pinning it in forward and reverse with no luck so it was time to get out. Out comes the highlift as the chopper sat overhead. Shit, the ram clamps were snapped in half. As we MacGyver'ed our steering, we said hello (not literally) to 4 other rigs that followed us up the hill the wrong way. Was the GPS messed up and I didn't miss read it all along, were they following our tracks - I don't know but we were there for less than an hour and 4 rigs came our way. We got our steering back together, less than 20 miles to go and about 4 hours finish this race. We have 3 wheel drive, a winch and time on our hands. As you can imagine, 4 ratchet straps can't contain the forces between boulders and no give of hydraulic pressures so we are out of the truck again figuring a better way. The 3rd time head scratching was the ticket, we figured out a way to jam the ram in the broken mount so we could move on. We were ready for a slow and steady pace to finish this fucker. Hopes were up and we were ready. We had 3 trails and some desert left, we are going to cross the finish line. As we started up toward the cluster of broken rigs on Sledge, our lights started to flicker. Our alternator was shot and we were running off batteries. We were racing on borrowed time at this point, we knew we couldn't make all the obstacles with 3 wheel drive and steering that was vulnerable. Winching was going to put us dead in the water. The lights flickered a couple more times followed by the truck shutting down. We were out of the race. You could smell the finish line shy of 20 miles away and boy did it smell good but we were out. Another full spectrum of emotions - disappointment, excitement, stress relief to name a few. We had been beat, we jumped in with the tiger known as KOH and it was the victor. No words were swapped between Larry and I for a bit. A knuckle bump was all that was needed, it carried the unity of the team, it showed the understanding.

On to next year I guess; learned a lot, made some new friends and found out some great things about existing ones.

Mall, Crawl or Haul - let us know what you are looking for and we can make it happen.

Anysevenoffroad.com 510-227-6645
AnySevenOffroad on facebook
AnySevenOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 64619
great ride.. Thanks Adam
Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 22803
Send a message via Yahoo to tomota
Cool story and great effort boys. The video shows how you were in it to win it. I wish you luck next year.
tomota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
Send a message via AIM to Roxywheels Send a message via Yahoo to Roxywheels
Larry, I was so happy to see you in the big race. You worked hard to get yourself there and I was bummed to hear you didn't finish. Thank you for treating me with total respect this week and for your professionalism with anything race related. I look forward to watching you give it hell again next year.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133025
Larry, I have to admit it, I used to be one of the guys laughing at you.

I see now you are a serious racer, you have my respect for your effort and attitude.

Maybe a little moderation in the use of the loud pedal may help you in your goal to finish the race. You have to go fast to win, but you have to be smart about when to go fast.

Best of luck in your future ventures.

Gene
easyspops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 64619
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=100_0309.flv

Some video from our start in the LCQ. Pretty cool. It was so fun..
Old 02-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 52911
Send a message via AIM to samota87
Quote:
Quite the year for us this year. Being our third year of running this amazing race it has changed and grown more then anybody could have guessed I think. Our team has grown and changed the same way. This years story was more amazing then ever and here it is.

3 weeks before Koh 2010 my tow rig engine failed. with no time or money to fix it and already telling Hammerking I would be there it was on to find another mode of transport to Johnson Valley. will rentals, and even driving the race car to KOH mentioned my friend and 2 year KOH supporter "no crew Chief" Steve Holice offered to tow my truck and trailer to KOH. With that out of the way we focused all of our efforts alongside last years co-driver and our buggy fabricator Steve Peterson of Xtreme Motorworks to get the rig tech and race ready. Heading to KOH a week early we figured we would have plenty of time to pre run for the LCQ event and work any bugs out. LOL were we wrong. Adam Phister and I alongside our team got dialed in and ready for Tuesday. We did the LCQ in amazing fashion. We were one of if not the fastest team to the backdoor trail. We had one shotted the main fall the day before with 7lbs less air in my tires. We took 5 or 6 trys and got the back over far enough to get up the main fall. with the window nets up and doors on my vision was impaired a bit form the previous day and I missed one of the ledges we needed to make the left side. In doing so we rolled going up hill and sheered off all of the wheel studs on the passenger side front wheel. With the wheel broken we were out of the race and spectating with all of the other folks sitting in the canyon. Awesome view however and with all the cameras in one area we were bound to get some press and video time maybe. Tom Beebe and I chatted for a few hours as my team and strangers repaired my broken front axle and other teams winched and ran their rigs up the waterfall of Backdoor. It was amazing all the people that heckled the hard working teams trying to finish the LCQ and get a spot in the main event. hecklers will always be there when you are struggling and your best friend when you succeed, just part of the game. With 3 wheel studs in each side we drove out of the there up the second ledge with little effort and back to camp to asses the situation. we still had a chance for the PSC Lucky dog opening. Working away the team fixed the car as I went from camp to camp trying to find wheel studs. jimmy's 4x4 came to the rescue and donated 6 new wheel studs to us. Amazing team and effort they had with Loren winning the King of the Hammers coming from the LCQ. Fixed and on the trail to watch the 2nd LCQ event I heard a bad sound coming from the chassis and engine. Turning out to be a bad rod bearing and a ring and pinion going away. With a whole new set of issues and a never say quit attitude we went to work. ROD BEARINGS IN enclosed trailer the night before the possible race if we got it. Well Skuba Steve, Gene, Bill, Al, Donny, Darrin, Adam Phister all stepped up and we got going on it. Currie Enterprise got us going with new ring and Pinions while Steve replaced rod bearings. Thanks to the Marlin Crew for the torque wrench. "sorry for scaring you in the canyon John but that was pretty cool..LOL" Dave Cole walks in the trailer with a bit of interesting news that the Canadian team of Chris Pook's could not get their car down there in time and if we wanted to team up. well since we had not been choosen for the lucky dog spot we said yes and now it was a bigger rush to get the car ready to tech and race Friday. So all day Thursday was a tech inspection and pre race day. Having issues with the fuel tank firewall tech rule we had to make a few trips to Rockstomper scott before he passed us. with our stickers in place and team in order it was pre race night. all the Canadian's and our team made a huge effort to get all the race gear on the truck.

Race day Chris Pook driving to mile 12 and me riding. For the first time in my own car. BFG I am out Bernie is in and they are off for a few hours all the way out around the big loop and back. Loosing a few panels along the way they were hauling ass getting up to 30ish place or so. Adam and I jumped in and we were off for Elvis, resolution, back door, main pit. I think in hindsite were were supposed to stop and trade at main pit but we were haulin and passing so we kept on all the way to 13th place up the top of Jackhammer where I made a wrong turn and put the rig on its side. Right before that having a little battle with John James and Jason Sheere being highcentered like a turtle watching both go by me. LOL. So we are oin our side and I get out shut down the fuel and fluids. Tell Adam to get the high lift off. We jack it up and flip it over. Without looking it over very well we turned the gas on and were on the roa#&##.. Wait we have no steering. we broke the front ram mount with the hard slam to the side as I tryed to save it. Also we find a broken front shaft as we ratchet straped the ram down and continued down Jack. Making almost all the way to the next check at bottom of Sledge we broke the rachet straps. With a few ideas gone bad we turned the hydro ram down where the fittings couldn't move and installed vise grips for spacers and taped the handles with a good ratchet strap for down pressure on the ram. We were off again and still in the race with this being 7pm now. 10pm deadline we would winch the rest of the hard areas in Sledge and finish the race. Making it half way up Sledge our power cut out and we discovered a electrical short or dead alternator. With no power we were finished and in short time being used for traction on the first climb of Sledge. Forgeting our survival pack and glow sticks we walked in the dark back to the checkpoint and radioed for help from the crew.

116 miles we traveled and ended up driving to the finish out of there later that night after the 10pm deadline. We sure gave er hell though and thanks to all that helped it happen. Not bad for a small team with a hell of a lot riding against them. Thats life in the Hammers. Tough love and no forgiveness. Our team was glad to be there and very excited for Loren Healy that won this year coming from the LCQ event. Awesome job Loren. You will all see Gipson Racing at KOH 2011
samota87 is offline   Reply With Quote