Pirate 4x4 banner

Team Marlin Crawler 2010 KOH Race Story

6K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  Wopstar 
#1 ·
After reflecting on the 8 days we spent in Johnson Valley leading up to KOH 2010 I am still overwhelmed at just how huge this event has become. Team Marlin Crawler arrived at the lake bed on Saturday before the race, ready to get set up and do some shock tuning while pre running the course. We got the GPS download around noon on Sunday and spent the next few days getting familiar with the desert sections of the race course. We had a few problems during the week. We broke a u-bolt on Monday, broke the cross member that holds the transfer case on Tuesday, and broke a rear R&P on Wednesday. This was a little concerning because I was sure we were ready to race when we got there. By the end of the day on Wednesday we had pulled the shocks and re-valved them 3 times. Chris from FOA shocks was out helping everyone with shock tuning, that was great as we were able to get the shocks tuned perfect (well, as perfect as you could get a leaf sprung rig). Contingency and Tech went great. We were able to hang out and talk to venders and other racers as well as do interviews with the various media people. I even met a couple guys from Indonesia covering the event.

Race Day;
We got in the car and got in line for the start around 7am. Carie Steiner was on top of Fissure Mtn. Doing race relay for all the Tin Bender teams as well as a couple others. We did a radio check and found that we weren’t transmitting. We had changed out the radio earlier in the week because of a speaker issue so this was the last thing I was expecting. After panicking for a few minutes we fixed the problem just in time for the race to start.

We fired off the start line at 8:10 am putting all 80 horse power to work. It took Mike Hendricks and I a couple miles to get settled in for the long day. The first 15 miles was fairly rough desert. The big horse power rigs were blowing by us in the flat areas but we were reeling them in, in the whoops. Just like last year, there were race rigs all over the desert with one problem or another. This is where we got by Hobie and Mark. We got to Crow bar in a group of 6 other racers where we basically had to just stay in line and hope no one got hung up in front of us. After finishing Crow bar we again romped on it and was able to pass 3 other rigs in the rough before BFG pit where we blew by and headed for main pit. We took on 5 gallons of fuel at main pit and checked over the rig. Everything looked good so we were off again. I was a little worried about the 25mph speed limit through the pits but as my co-driver Mike called off our speed from the GPS I was surprised how fast it was.

We came up to After Shock to find 4 rigs struggling to get up the Z turn. Camo’s rig was having a hard time and you could tell the high pressure they were running in their tires were screwing them in the rocks. It took about 15 minutes to clear the obstacle then we were off again. We mixed it up with Camo’s rig through the rest of Hells Gate and Sun Bonnet. They would pass us in the fast sections and we would pass them in the rocks. I was excited to get to the fast section after going down Outer Limits but we soon found that the motor was running at 220 and climbing whenever I held it to the floor, so I just took it easy until we got to out second planned pit at BFG (race mile 70?). My crew chief Mike Kalinowski doused the radiator with water while the rest of the guys checked the rig over. The radiator was low on water, turns out it wasn’t full when we started the race (my fault). Once it was full we hauled ass through the second fast section. Going down Elvis was hard but we got through it ok. We stopped at main pit at race mile 105 where the Marlin Crawler pit crew was all over the rig checking it out and topping off the fuel.

The Rock Section;
We got to Chocolate Thunder and I was amazed at how many spectators were there watching. The first obstacle was fully owning us. We tried and tried but couldn’t get the right line. I could tell that Mike was getting frustrated cause I wasn’t listening. Luckly we both took a breath and decided to work together and got through it. As we went up Boulder Dash we caught Jason Scherier. It looked like he had just finished changing a flat but he spotted us around him. There were several rigs having trouble in the big rocks. We had to go around/over one guy to get by and of course we got stuck just past him. He got us back by going by us with the wheels in the air at 9000 RPM. It was awesome! Turns out it was Larry Gipson. Down big Johnson, up Claw, down Wrecking Ball, up jack North was uneventful. As long as we were in the rocks we could keep up with Scherier but every flat spot he was gone again. As we went down Jack Hammer the helicopter paced us coming down the ridge line (that was cool). We got to the bottom of Jack and took a bad line down a relatively small rock and the next thing I knew we were on our side ($hit!!!!). Mike bailed out and as I got out a couple spectators helped us push it back on its wheels. I had smashed the Lightforce HID’s on the roof and wiped off the side mirror but the rest of the rig looked ok. Off to Sledge where we saw the most intimidating amount of spectators I have ever seen. Luckily my fellow competitor Hal Deschamp was there to spot us as we needed it. It was nice to see a familiar face among the sea of people. We got to the plaque line where I again put it on its side. Mike was already out of the rig. Like other competitors, we were not going to mess with the plaque line. Mike hooked up the winch and we were up in no time. At the top of sledge I was mentally exhausted and was glad to rest a little through Fissure Mtn. on the way to Spooners. Coming down Spooners I found myself struggeling to concentrate. I WAS TIRED! We got hung up a couple times coming down spooners from taking the wrong lines, but we finally got through it just as it was getting dark.

We headed through the last desert section trying to take it easy on the rig. Mike was calling off mile markers as we got closer. I think I waited until mile marker 132 before I looked over at Mike and said “I think we might just finish this race”. As we got to the official finish, my Bender brother Dave Cole had given the checkered flag to my 9 year old son Luke to waive me through. That was great!!!!!!! For the 4th time in a row, we finished the most difficult off road race in the world at 5:41pm, 9 hours and 31 minutes after we started to take 22nd place. The mass greeting at the start/finish line was breath taking with media, family, and fellow racers all greeting us with hugs and beer.

We had relatively little problems in this race and Mike and I both agree that we have probably found the limits for a comp legal Formula Toy in this kind of racing. F-Toys are light and nimble which makes them finishers, but 20th place is about the best you can do in KOH going foreword. If we can sell the Marlin Crawler Formula Toy in the coming months, look for a new rig to be built for 2011. It will still be all Toyota parts, but more horse power and a little stronger axles. You might even see and all new Hendrix Motorsports KOH edition chassis too.

I would like to thank my co-driver Mike Hendricks for truly getting us to the finish line. Mike’s experience in off road racing and race prep played a huge role. I challenged his patience numerous times during the race, but he kept his cool demeanor and got us through the hard parts. He’s a true team member and a life long friend. THANKS MIKE!!!!!!

Also, Marlin , Christine and the whole shop from Marlin Crawler came down to support us. They made us feel like rock stars and took the pressure off by handling the main pit. My friend and crew chief Mike Kalinowski did a great job of running the remote pit and being there when I needed him.

Our Valued Sponsors;
MARLIN CRAWLWER, Marlin and the guys have supported us for 4 years now. Great company, Great people. I can’t say enough about the quality of their products.

FOA SHOCKS, Chris has been great from the beginning. Great product, great race support.

IMPACT SIGNS, Jason again made the rig look amazing.

12VOLTGUY.COM, Darren supplied all the electrical components for the past 2 years. Thanks Darren!

LC ENGINEERING, Jay and the guys at LC made the rig run great.

MOBILE RADIO COMMUNICATIONS, John took a chance on us this year and supplied all the in-car communications. Everything worked great!

LONGFIELD ENTERPRISES, Bobby and Tina have supported me forever. Great people.

LIGHTFORCE, even though I smashed the lights in a rollover they still worked and got us home.

100DOLLARMAN.COM, thanks for the cash to buy food for the week.

DIAMOND AXLES, what can I say other than bad ass housings.

BFG, 4 years of KOH and WE Rock and NEVER had a flat.

JEEPSWAG.COM, the winch rope was there when we REALLY needed it.

See less See more
#2 ·
hey john, thanks for sharing your sponsor with me. Marlin helped me out at the main pits and wrecking ball pits :)

and thanks for stopping to check on us at mile 4 when mark was out of the car fumbling around with the tool box :laughing:

#3 ·
John,I had the pleasure of being at the finish line as your family showed up .After a few min Luke came over to me and asked if I thought that he might be able to wave the flag for you and that he knew you were only a few miles out. I differed the question to Dave and of course he said yes. The grin on his face was ear to ear and for the next hour or so he could barely contain himself.Every time a rig was spotted,a quick yell went up "Is that him,is that him?",and just a hint of disappointment when it wasn't.Finally,with the light configuration and the thunder of 70hp,we knew it was you:laughing:Luke raced over to the far side of the track,grabbed the flag and started waving it with all his might.

The sheer joy and thrill on his face is one of the fondest memories I have of a week filled with great memories.

Congrats on a great finish and here's to next year:beer::beer:

Terry

#5 ·
Awesome story John I had a great time doing a little battle with you. I was doing my very best to not ever hit you and I heard you say something when I was full throttle on your right. I am glad someone got to see it. Did it look as cool as it fealt? I almost peed a little..LOL.. Way to finish John. You rememeber right when I went by well we took a wrong turn instead of going up that steep climb to the right we went left and we were on our side when you went up the climb and broken. It was a while before I got up that hill with broken steering ram.. Great race though. see you later this year.

#6 ·
We had relatively little problems in this race and Mike and I both agree that we have probably found the limits for a comp legal Formula Toy in this kind of racing. F-Toys are light and nimble which makes them finishers, but 20th place is about the best you can do in KOH going foreword. If we can sell the Marlin Crawler Formula Toy in the coming months, look for a new rig to be built for 2011. It will still be all Toyota parts, but more horse power and a little stronger axles. You might even see and all new Hendrix Motorsports KOH edition chassis too.
A 2.7L, Diamond axles with fj80 3rds, and 39"s would be awesome and true to the Yoyo game! You would love it, it feels like selling out at first, but you get over it :D

Congrats on the finisheS!

#14 ·
Fawkers!! I don't need another project! :mad3:

:laughing: Can't wait to see what develops!

#18 ·
John, I enjoyed watching you race down Crowbar! The F-Toy was hauling the mail and was right on the tails of two rigs with triple the HP heading out to Soggy Lake. You are a bad ass driver and fabricator! Keep it up.:smokin:

#19 ·
It was my first KOH and it was awesome to be thrown in the pits. You and Mike did great and it was cool that the only "issue" we heard about over the radio was the squeak in the front driveshaft. You guys definitely made the car last. Definitely excited about the prospects of a new car that's geared towards this race. Really looking forward to next year.

BTW, thanks for not peeing on me while I was checking your nuts and bolts................:laughing:

Brendan

#22 ·
Great job guys. It was good to see ya. I can still remember the first time we rolled onto the lakebed and you showed us around. Good times.:smokin:

#27 ·
Thanks for all the props guys. Watching the first part of the video from Chocolate Thunder was painfull. That first obsticle was kicking my a$$. typically I try to stay away from the full throttle assult but mike and I were out of ideas. I was glad to get through it and the cheers from the crowd made it all better.
I plan to go try that obstical again at the Bender Jambo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.