BITD/Silver State 300 rule updates - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 37487
BITD/Silver State 300 rule updates

Just a heads up... BITD added and changed a few rules. Posted below.

Cliff Notes: Seat belts 1 Year from stamped date max. Wheels need to be stamped with car number in minimum 1/4" numbers within 2" of valve stem. Blue and Amber lights need to be minimum 48" from ground and un obstructed. Also noticed alot of the numbers on our cars dont really meet rule # SCR51 as far as size and placement goes.

FROM BITD WEBSITE

 2011 Car Truck Rule Book - it's 100 pages so be careful what you print. Revisions were made on 3/1/11. Please take a look at SCR13 Wheels & Tires, pg 22, SCR19 Lights, pg 23, SCR35, Safety Harness, pg 28. These are very important rule changes, it's important that you read these rule revisions!
SCR13: WHEELS & TIRES  Snap-on hubcaps or Snap-on wheel covers of any type are not permitted in any class of vehicle during competition. Tires will be visually checked for condition and must be considered reasonably safe by Best In The Desert Racing Association prior to competing. Maximum tire size is 40 inches outside diameter. No multiple tires permitted. It is highly recommended that all foreign material be removed from mounting surfaces of the rim and wheel.
 Wheel travel will be measured at the end of the centerline of the spindle on all vehicles, regardless of make of vehicle or hub design. In the event that the end of the spindle cannot be established, the entrant may be required to remove end caps, etc., to make the end of the spindle available.
 The measurement shall be taken from full droop (full extension of the limit strap) to where the moving parts contact a constant rigid member stopping the upward movement. Bump stops must be fully compressed at time of measurement.
 Vehicles with solid axle front ends will be measured from suspension member to metal stop; this is where the axle contacts a constant rigid metal part of the main chassis in a straight up and down motion. ―Duck walking‖ will not be considered wheel travel.
 Solid rear axles will be measured in the same manner as a solid front axle noted in the above paragraph.
Revised 2/21/11 - Each wheel on the vehicle including all spares must have the vehicle's number stamped in each wheel within 2 inches of the valve stem. The stamped number must be a minimun 1/4 inch tall.
SCR19: LIGHTS
 All vehicles must have a minimum of two taillights, two brake lights and one rearward facing amber light. A rearward facing BLUE LIGHT in addition to the rearward facing L.E.D. AMBER LIGHT must be installed on all vehicles in the 8100, 7300, 6000, 5100, 4400, 3700, 2000, 1900, 1700 and Class 1800 Open Sportsman classes. This BLUE LIGHT is an attempt to identify slower moving classes of vehicles so that faster classes of vehicles will be able to recognize they are approaching a slower vehicle. All lights must be in operating condition at time of inspection. Headlights may be removed for daytime races unless class rules specify stock headlights are to be retained. All rearward-facing lights (taillights, brake lights, blue lights if so required and amber light) must be in operating condition before the vehicle will be permitted to start the race. If during the race any taillight, brake light, blue light if so required or amber light is damaged or burned out, the light must be fixed or replaced at the next available pit before proceeding in the race. Any taillight, blue light if so required or amber light that is connected to a switch that will allow the vehicle to move in any direction under its own power without the lights being on will cause that vehicle to be disqualified. All rearward-facing lights must be protected against damage in the event of a rollover.
Taillights must be at least 3 inches in diameter, or meet with Best In The Desert Racing Association approval, and must be mounted in such a manner as to be clearly visible from a distance to the rear of the vehicle. The L.E.D. amber light must be either a 3 inch round or model 60 oval shaped light. Rearward blue light if so required must be at least 40watts but not greater than 55watts. The blue lens must be medium coated blue in color (no other color is permitted). The amber light and blue light if so required must be mounted a minimum of 48 inches from the ground and must be clearly visible, with no obstructions (IE: not mounted behind any solid object), from any angle from the rear of the vehicle. The amber light and blue light if so required must be placed so that an approaching driver’s vision is not impaired. The amber light, blue light if so required and taillights must be connected to the ignition switch (connecting straight to the battery switch, if vehicle is so equipped, is acceptable) and remain on during the entire race.
The blue lens must be medium coated blue in color (no other color is permitted). The amber light and blue light if so required must be mounted a minimum of 48 inches from the ground and must be clearly visible, with no obstructions (IE: not mounted behind any solid object), from any angle from the rear of the vehicle. The amber light and blue light if so required must be placed so that an approaching driver’s vision is not impaired. The amber light, blue light if so required and taillights must be connected to the ignition switch (connecting straight to the battery switch, if vehicle is so equipped, is acceptable) and remain on during the entire race.
SCR35: SAFETY HARNESS  All vehicles must have a heavy-duty type five-point fast release latch (no push button type) seat belt, anti-submarine strap and shoulder straps with metal-to-metal buckles and connectors for each occupant. The five-point harness system shall consist of one 2-inch wide anti-submarine strap, one 3-inch wide seat belt and two 3-inch wide shoulder straps (no “y” type shoulder belts permitted). Chest buckles are optional. Harness material shall be made of nylon or Dacron polyester. Harness must be in new or perfect condition with no cuts, frayed layers, chemical stains, or excessive dirt and must be in flexible condition (i.e. material must not be rigid). All harnesses must show the manufacturer’s name and the month and year of manufacture. All harnesses must be installed per the manufacturer’s instructions and must follow S.F.I. standards. All belts must be replaced after one year from the month and year of manufacture. No portion of the harness may be altered in any fashion from the manufacturer’s standard design. No surplus safety harnesses are permitted. NOTE: Where “D” rings are used the excess belt material must thread back through the D ring a third time.
 The five-point harness must be mounted to the main structure members of the same size and dimension as the roll cage and be gusseted. The structure members must be in the following locations. Anti-submarine belt to the floor structure as close to the front of the seat as practical in order to exert maximum restraint to the upward movement of the seat belt and shoulder straps. Shoulder straps must be mounted behind the occupants seats and be located a minimum of 4 inches below the top of the occupants shoulders. Seat belt should be mounted a minimum of 2.5 inches forward of the intersection of the back of the seat and the sitting portion of the seat. All adjustment buckles must be a minimum distance of 1.5 inches from the seat to prevent loosening or chafing.
 Mounting hardware must be a minimum of 0.312-inch Grade 8 bolts with a 1.5-inch diameter flat washer attached through the body or frame using lock nuts or cotter keys. All harness hardware must be safety tied. If a wrap around type harnesses is used, care must be taken to prevent them from slipping and chafing from sharp frame components. Wraparound harnesses are highly discouraged.

SCR51: IDENTIFICATION MARKERS  All vehicles in competition must display the official Best In The Desert Racing Association decal on both sides of the vehicle. All vehicles in competition must be identified with the correct class vehicle numbers and be displayed in the proper locations as prescribed herein.
All pro-class entries must have black numbers on white backgrounds. If vehicle is white then the number area must be outlined in a ¾‖ black line around the numbers. There must be a gap of at least 1 ¼‖ between the black line and the numbers. Any number location that is deemed by Best In The Desert Racing Association to be too hard to read will have to be changed prior to vehicle competing in the event.  All sportsman-class vehicles will have black numbers on a yellow background. If vehicle is yellow then the number area must be outlined in a ¾‖ black line around the numbers. There must be a gap of at least 1 ¼‖ between the black line and the numbers. This is mandatory. No other combination will be permitted.
 Note: Best In The Desert Racing Association assumes no responsibility for scoring vehicles with unrecognizable numbers. It is the vehicle driver’s responsibility for keeping numbers recognizable.
All vehicles in competition must have identification numbers in the following locations and sizes:
 • Minimum 10 inches high with 1-inch-wide stroke on each side of vehicle inline with the occupants.

 • Minimum 6 inches high with 1-inch-wide stroke on the rear of vehicle and is plainly visible from the rear.

 • Minimum 4 inches high located on the front of vehicle and is plainly visible from the front of the vehicle

 NUMBER AND PLACEMENT ON SIDE OF VEHICLES
 Due to increasing difficulty on reading the vehicle numbers during the events, we must change the rule on vehicle side numbers. The vehicle side numbers must be located to the rear of the drivers compartment and attached to the rollcage. For an example you can look at ProTruck and that placement is most preferred.
 PIT-SUPPORT VEHICLES
 All pit-support vehicles will have minimum 4-inch high white numbers (number of vehicle pitting for) on both sides of vehicle on side windows, on upper passenger-side corner of front windshield and on rear window. Pit support vehicles must have current Best In The Desert Racing Association pit pass attached to lower portion of the front windshield on the passenger side.
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/hooliganrockcrew"] [COLOR="Red"]On Facebook[/COLOR][/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/hooliganrockcrew"][/URL]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Lime"][URL="http://www.defconremodels.com"][COLOR="Lime"]DEFcon Remodels[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.tdsguns.com"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]TDSGUNS.COM[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
MilCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
Wonder what the deal with the new seatbelt rule is?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 94758
Somebody that is familiar with BITD needs to make us newbs a check list of things that is different than KOH rules. BITD site still sends us back to KOH rulebook. Or better yet the BITD tech guys checklist that he will check the cars with.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25375
Brian, I just went to the rule book and under the 4400 class it links to BITD.com for rules, not the KOH rule book as it use to?

Somebody is going to ask the question so I'll ask first but I think I know the answer. Which rule book do we follow, KOH or BITD?

Last edited by CHOPS; 03-25-2011 at 12:24 PM.
CHOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
buy my AR Parts

Member # 108848
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPS View Post
Brian, I just went to the rule book and under the 4400 class it links to BITD.com for rules, not the KOH rule book as it use to?

Somebody is going to ask the question so I'll ask first but I think I know the answer. Which rule book do we follow, KOH or BITD?
I've already spoke to Dave and BITD and neither are too sure which rule book we should be following but Dave said follow the BITD rules for Safety... so I'm taking that as yes, seat belts can't be over 1 year old and all the other stuff.

Billet Rifle Systems
Billet AR15 80% Receivers
www.billet80.com

Last edited by powthief19; 03-25-2011 at 12:28 PM.
powthief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 94758
It says 4400 2010 rules, when I cick on it, it says not found. Shouldnt it say 2011?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
The "other" Shannon

Member # 127217
Send a message via Yahoo to LytleRed
The stamped number is new.

The rest of those rules seem pretty similar if not identical to last years rules.

For Tech you should refer to the KOH rules, but the rest of the BiTD rule book should be gone over thoroughly by someone on your team. When we ran our first BiTD. Kevin Looked the rules over from a vehicle perspective and I read them over from a pit/support perspective.

We did our number sizes for vehicle and pit crew exactly as stated the last 2 years but noticed almost none of the other cars did this. They mostly have an issue if your numbers are impossible to read. I'm not saying they might not be stricter this year w/ numbers, but those rules aren't new, and we saw little if any enforcement of it in year's past.
LytleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 94758
That little or no enforcement crap is what really burns me. How am I sitting here in Kansas supposed to know what they want if they aren't gonna follow their own rules? I would hate to get there and miss some things that they give a crap about that I couldn't find in the book and waste my time and money on stuff they aren't gonna check!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17623
Send a message via AIM to Highsociety
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddishack View Post
That little or no enforcement crap is what really burns me. How am I sitting here in Kansas supposed to know what they want if they aren't gonna follow their own rules? I would hate to get there and miss some things that they give a crap about that I couldn't find in the book and waste my time and money on stuff they aren't gonna check!

x2

2011 sponsors:

SMORR.net
Pit Bull Tires
S&S Auto
Edmonds Dental Prosthetics
Indian Ridge Resort
Ballzout Lifstyle
John's 4x4
KORE
Raceline
Highsociety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3196
x3....expcept sitting in NC!!

The only real thing different is the 1 year seatbelt rule and the stamped race car number on the wheels. Before that, we just used a Sharpie and wrote the car number on the wheels with that. Everything else is the same. I have spent ALOT of cash just on making my numbers right!!

EDIT-Having gone through 3 BITD techs, they only look at the safety stuff.....tail lights, amber, blue on with the ign, brake lights, master kill, seat belts, fire suits, harnesses, first-aid, triangles, etc.

They have never checked to see if my 4wd worked, if I had a winch, or a Turbo/SC, or stamped my engine block, roll cage design (I even added 2 bars to be in compliance with the rules), drive shaft loop, 2" x .250" bellhousing shield (manual trans) etc.

IMHO, if you can pass KOH tech (which is more difficult), make sure your belts are dated good, lights are all wired right, numbers good, and wheels stamped, you should be good.

I hope this helps.

Rob
UTV #1999

MJ Motorsports

Last edited by yield2me; 03-28-2011 at 08:29 AM.
yield2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
Can't speak for Hammerking, but I can tell you this.

In the past when it was a hammerking sanctioned event, like the silverstate last year. Hammerking did tech inspection of your car, and BITD did a quick check of your safety. BITD does not check your class requirements. Hammerking did. When it was not a sanctioned event, BITD only checked safety.

I can't help you with any of the rules stuff that has changed, but I hope that clears up what was done in the past.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
The "other" Shannon

Member # 127217
Quote:
Originally Posted by yield2me View Post
IMHO, if you can pass KOH tech (which is more difficult), make sure your belts are dated good, lights are all wired right, numbers good, and wheels stamped, you should be good.
This is what our team has experienced.

IMHO opinion. If you haven't run BITD it's best to follow ALL the rules. That's what we did the first two times we ran it.

And what Jeff said is what Big Ugly has experienced.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 94758
So what's our class requirements for fire suits? One piece or two? Double buckles on the shoulder straps?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
The "other" Shannon

Member # 127217
Also... if you haven't gotten in your registration. They are doing drawing of start order on April 13th. You want to get it in by then. Registrations received after that start in the back of the pack by order in which they were received.

The start order is within our class. Not the race. Casey usually doesn't announce the start order by class until the Friday night driver's meeting.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
buy my AR Parts

Member # 108848
Will Hammerking have tech inspector's on site like last year to tech us before we get to BITD tech?

Billet Rifle Systems
Billet AR15 80% Receivers
www.billet80.com
powthief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 81750
how is everybody stamping their wheels?

white pen? chalk?
gobigorgohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 29513
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddishack View Post
So what's our class requirements for fire suits? One piece or two? Double buckles on the shoulder straps?
Those are both safety items, I would follow the BITD rules

This is the way I do it. The car already has 4 low, we use or can use four wheel drive at all times. It is/looks like a rock crawler so therefore it meets the KOH rule book at a BITD race.

The rest of the rules we need to abide by are the BITD rules.(The hammerking 2010 rules do mimic the BITD rules fairly well) Don't show up with 5" tall numbers on the sides, you probably won't get past tech. If you have 9.5" tall numbers that contrast with the body color you will probably be fine.

If you decide to not follow the exact rules as they are written that's your deal. Don't bitch if you don't pass tech. There is always a bit of interpretation and room within any rule. BITD is not unfair but they also have a rule book that you need to look at and respect, we are playing in their world.
miniwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 82770
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigorgohome View Post
how is everybody stamping their wheels?

white pen? chalk?
I'm going to use number dies like you would use to stamp a VIN
Pac Springs
Dynomax
King Shocks
Spidertrax
lxh0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 37487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxh0318 View Post
I'm going to use number dies like you would use to stamp a VIN
This is how I understand it. Its seems they want a permanent/non removable marking on them so if you ditch it in the desert they car trace it back to you as that is frowned upon. With paint or pen you could easily remove the markings with a little brake clean or something.
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/hooliganrockcrew"] [COLOR="Red"]On Facebook[/COLOR][/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/hooliganrockcrew"][/URL]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Lime"][URL="http://www.defconremodels.com"][COLOR="Lime"]DEFcon Remodels[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.tdsguns.com"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]TDSGUNS.COM[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
MilCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26468
Send a message via AIM to BigWoodyWag
I've got a couple sets of Harbor Freight letter/# stamps in .125 and .25 and I use for marking all kinds of crap. The .125 is perfect VIN size.

I dont really get the Permanent Stamp deal. Think if you run different series where you run a different number or you borrow wheels, etc. Next thing ya know your rims look like the wall of a truck stop bathroom.

Anyway heres the Harbor Freight link for the 1/4" set to use to pass tech.

$10.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/36-piec...set-35121.html

Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
I bet you could get away with driver of record last name? I agree on the number thing... I know why he is doing it, but I don't think it was well thought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWoodyWag View Post
I've got a couple sets of Harbor Freight letter/# stamps in .125 and .25 and I use for marking all kinds of crap. The .125 is perfect VIN size.

I dont really get the Permanent Stamp deal. Think if you run different series where you run a different number or you borrow wheels, etc. Next thing ya know your rims look like the wall of a truck stop bathroom.

Anyway heres the Harbor Freight link for the 1/4" set to use to pass tech.

$10.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/36-piec...set-35121.html

xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101680
Send a message via MSN to napsta
I'll get hold of a cheap set of HF stamps and have them in my trailer at tech if people need them.

The one year harness rule sucks IMO. They seem to have also got rid of the double metal stuff.

40 inch tire max? haha, there's a thread on racedezert about that!
napsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 16333
Send a message via AIM to RedNeckRea Send a message via MSN to RedNeckRea
Quote:
Originally Posted by powthief19 View Post
Will Hammerking have tech inspector's on site like last year to tech us before we get to BITD tech?
unfortunately my shoulder surgery is too close and I wont be allowed to fly. i do not know what dave's plans are regarding tech for this race. I am planning on being at RCQ and the rest of the U4 series though.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 41764
With how many tire/wheels we saw o the course at Parker I can understand the permanent marking thing. I think I was up to a dozen when I started counting at the end.

The seat belt thing does suck. As I recall they were a couple weeks old for Silver State last year...but that might have been KOH. I think we need new belts

No one is ever gone if they are always remembered.
JasonPayneMemorial
bggrnchvy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20696
I was wondering about the rear lights. 48" off the ground and visible from ANY angle? Does this mean they have to be on the very back of the rig? Ours are on the roof, but our spare could block the view at certain angles...
Race Prep Racing - #4474 Thanks to Falken Tire, Warn Winch, Race Prep Hobbies, and our Pit Crew!
RichieOTR is offline   Reply With Quote