Transfer Case Express and Shaffer Motorsports San Felipe 250 Live Coverage - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Desert Racing
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
I'm Not Just a Girl

Member # 181576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffers Offroad View Post
Well they got the transaxle to the Weddle about 2:30 AM and Ron Weddle came in rebuilt it and the guys where back on the road by 7:30!

Thank you Ron Weddle!

That is SOOO Awesome! What a stand up guy!

Bower Motorsports Media ~ We Hit the Dirt Taking Pictures and Videos

Race Team Store ~ All Your Favorite Drivers / Companies / Events Gear Shipped To You! ~ Email me for details on joining the Store...everyone is Welcome in my World!

Shirt Swag Club ~ Tired of Wearing Ragz? ~ Join the Club! It is more than just a Tshirt...

I'm Not Just a Girl ~ Have you Checked Out My Clothing & Jewelry Line?! Buy Your Girl Something Nice!
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
I'm Not Just a Girl

Member # 181576
Just released....

Shaffer-Motorsports Will Race SCORE San Felipe 250 this Weekend

OAKLAND, CA MARCH 9, 2012 Shaffer-Motorsports car #401 will be racing in the SCORE San Felipe 250 this weekend. With the addition of title sponsor Transfer Case Express, the Shaffer-Motorsports black, red and white car is still focused on the SCORE Class 4 Championship. “All the pre-running has gone well this week. We have all ran our sections 3 times, but those San Felipe whoops are still a killer,” said Mike Shaffer, driver of record and owner of Shaffer’s Offroad. “We spent three hours shock tuning to adjust to making it smoother, but I don’t think anything can really soak those up.”

During the shock tuning session the transaxle gave way. Ron Weddle, from Weddle Industries, invited them to the shop in Southern California to get it fixed. “He showed up at 2:45am this morning when we got there to get to work. We are all so appreciative of that type of dedication,” said Shaffer. They have already finished up the rebuild and will be back in San Felipe with working parts before dark and ready to race in the morning!

This weekend the Class 4 car, that will be seen with Transfer Case Express and Torchmate Racing graphics, will race the 26th SCORE San Felipe 250 starting with the Cars and Trucks at 10am and are the 8th class off the line. The race is 248.64 miles consisting of a long, fairly narrow loop extending north of San Felipe near Highway 3 and south almost to Puertecitos on the east side adjacent to the Sea of Cortez. Course will start and finish in the shadow of the famed San Felipe Arches. Heading northwest of town, it runs in a counterclockwise direction. Course runs north, northwest, west and south of town. The challenging course runs through five major washes in the area: Cuevitas, Matomi, Azufre, Huatomote, Chanate and finally Amarillas, with silt, jagged rocks, and narrow passes between walls of rock, and is considered to be ‘The best of Baja.’

Live Coverage Link: http://www.race-dezert.com/home/2012...-live-coverage
Shaffer Motorsports Thread: /forum/desert-racing/1049252-transfer-case-express-shaffer-motorsports-san-felipe-250-live-coverage.html

Transfer Case Express (TCE) has been a great addition to the Shaffer-Motorsports Team. Transfer Case Express has been in business since 1998 and specialize in American transfer cases carrying New Process, Dana and Borg Warner brands. TCE has two remanufacturing centers, one in Oakland California and one in Spartanburg South Carolina where new and remanufactured American transfer cases are available.

Shaffer-Motorsports Website: http://www.shaffer-motorsports.com/
Shaffer-Motorsports Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/shaffermotorsports

More about Mike Shaffer: Mike Shaffer is the owner of Shaffer’s Offroad that helps customers build the vehicle of their choice, from bolt on accessories to custom one off vehicles. Shaffer has been racing for 27 years, starting with BMX and then age 16 in drag racing and his first desert race was fourteen years ago. Shaffer was driver of record for 3 Baja 1000 wins, 3 SCORE Championships and one BITD Championship in Class 1700, along with rock crawling National Championship and ARCA Championship.

More about Shawn Twitchell: Shawn Twitchell started desert racing motorcycles in 1972, went to drag racing in the 1980's, circle track in the 1990's and is now back in the desert driving with Shaffer Motorsports. He has been a member of Shaffer Motorsports team since 2008 helping win three SCORE 1700 Championships. Twitchell is the Business Unit Manager for FMC Technologies’ Technisys Group and has been married for 30 years to Vickie. Desert racing is in their family encompassing four generations including his son Ian, who will co-drive for Shawn. Two of seven grandkids are already earning their stripes in the pits and at the shop.

More about Daniel Aeberli: Daniel Aeberli is the CTO of Meditron, a Swiss medical distribution company that he co-founded 20 years ago in Switzerland. He raced with the Shaffer Motorsport team in 2010 helping them win SCORE Primm in Class 1700. Aeberli drove the first section of the 2010 SCORE Baja 1000 and is looking forward to coming back to the United States to race in BITD including Vegas to Reno and SCORE Baja 1000. Active in many sports, he especially enjoys skiing and hangliding in Switzerland.

Sponsors: Transfer Case Express, Torchmate CNC Cutting Systems, BFGoodrich, PowerTank, RuffStuff, PSC Steering, Shaffer’s Offroad
Attached Images

Bower Motorsports Media ~ We Hit the Dirt Taking Pictures and Videos

Race Team Store ~ All Your Favorite Drivers / Companies / Events Gear Shipped To You! ~ Email me for details on joining the Store...everyone is Welcome in my World!

Shirt Swag Club ~ Tired of Wearing Ragz? ~ Join the Club! It is more than just a Tshirt...

I'm Not Just a Girl ~ Have you Checked Out My Clothing & Jewelry Line?! Buy Your Girl Something Nice!
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #28 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 94026
Now THAT is customer service! Raceing oriented family for sure!
Good Luck to the TCE Shaffer Team. Easy on the tacos!
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 11801
We got the transaxle back in and the car over to tech and it's ready to race!
Attached Images

Alameda CA 94501

[url]www.Transfercaseexpress.com[/url]
[url]www.Shaffersoffroad.com[/url]
[url]www.Torchmateracing.com[/url]
[url]www.Twitter.com/shaffersoffroad[/url]
[url]www.Torchmate.com[/url]
[url]www.Powertank.com[/url]
Shaffers Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 11801
Race Day Breakfast
Attached Images

Alameda CA 94501

Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 104653
Good luck! I'll be following you guys the best I can.

- Adam

Become a fan on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
www.BroadSwordRacing.com

2013 Ultra4 Mod-Class Build by Dirt-Fab Racing
BroadSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 213798
Off the line at 10:34 PST. Northern chase crew in position. I may have updates later
BarrelRollsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 213798
Changed a tire(s?) around RM 169 3:25
Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 213798
tire at RM169 was shredded (Baja Pits #4)
chase headed to Baja Pits #5
have been neck and neck with 419 for 8-10 miles
now ahead of 419 at RM 190
going strong
woohoo

Last edited by BarrelRollsMom; 03-12-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 94026
4:09 PM looks like they passed the competition. Getting with it!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Wearing my team Shaffer shirt today hoping the team has a fun , safe and successful race
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 213798
just past 240 - sounding to me (and looking to Andy) good
Old 03-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 213798
past 240 more like 5:20
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 213798
Finished! around 5:42
Won the class!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 94026
Party Hardy! Congrats to all the wrenchers, family, ...and Mike! That was earned!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Get it
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #42 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 104653

Become a fan on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
www.BroadSwordRacing.com

2013 Ultra4 Mod-Class Build by Dirt-Fab Racing
BroadSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #43 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
Hell Yeah, we got first.

Some of us are currently sitting at Pete's camp drinking a bloody marry to kill the hang over. We are heading back tomorow, might as well spend another day in Mexico sleeping on the beech.

What a race, I'm sure Mike will put up an offical recap. We blew the transaxle shock tuning and dragged the car back. Some how we got ahold of Weddle and with a motivated crew got the thing out in about an hour, we wearn't going to let this keep the transaxle keep us out of the race. Ian and I left SF around 6 pm and were able to flirt with the border gaurd and get back to the states with no issues. Weddle was awesome to deal with, I even got a couple hour nap in his motor home out back. His shop is beautiful and he ended up replacing 3rd gear, 2nd gear, and the input shaft. I'm a Weddle fan now. Ian and I were able to haul the mail and got back to SF around 5pm, 23 hours form SF to Santa Barbra area with a trans axle re-build thrown in the mix. About 10:30PM we got the car to town and teched.

Race day went well. I was chasing the southern part of the course so Chris and I (chase 2) had a leasurly drive to Baja Pits pit #4. 401 got passed on the first part of the course by 419. We had a flat some where along the northern part of the course and got it changed quickly. When Shawn got the car to the driver change at Baja Pits pit #3 at RM124 to do a driver chage the spare was missing and the ratchet strap was wrapped around the shifter making Shawn think he had trans issues. The car got to us at Baja Pits Pit #4 at RM169 and radioed to us about 3.5 miles out with a flat. We got the shreaded tire and destroyed wheel off with a big hammer and some help from baja pits. Before the tire change we were about 2 minutes behind car 419.

Chase 2 got on the road and hauled ass to Baja pits #5. While on the road we got cell service and got ahold of my mom. She was watching IRC and we found out we passed 419 and were gaining quickly on them. The car blew by pit #5 and by that point had a 10 mile lead. We were able to haul the mail to old Puertectios road and saw the car cruise buy eating the whoops at 55mph or so keeping the car alive. Unfortunately none of the chase crews beat the car to the finish for some pictures. They rolled into the finish with another flat, no clue when it happened and they didn't realize it till they got sideways on the high way just before the finish.

We kicked some butt, I had a blast chasing for you guys and will be back for the 500.

Time for another bloody mary and maybe a nap on the beech before some tacos in town.

Last edited by BarrelRoll; 03-11-2012 at 02:40 PM.
BarrelRoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 7290
Just a quicky update from Pete's camp.

first off...... GET IT!!!! A few long days....that paid off. Team worked awesome together, can't thank Andy (BarrelRoll) enough for trucking the transaxle up to Weddle and back.

Also, HUGE thanks to Ron Weddle for showing up at the shop at 3:00 in the morning, getting our guys a place to sleep while he rebuilt the trans, and getting our guys back on the road w/ some rest and a fresh trans.

Daniel and I ran down the 419 car, got around him, and never saw them again.

Feels AWESOME to bring home the first win in the new car!!

thanks to all the sponsors.....Transfer Case Express, Torchmate CNC Cutting Systems, BFGoodrich, PowerTank, RuffStuff, PSC Steering, Shaffer’s Offroad, and thanks to Ron Weddle for the above and beyond service!

We've decided to spend the day down here, we'll be crossing the border early Monday morning. Drinks at the bar at Pete's Camp right now looking out at the Cortez.

It doesn't get better than this!!

--B
Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Right on guys!!!!
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #46 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 138167
Congrats! Nicely done

www.dirt-fab.com
e-mail: info@dirt-fab.com
Phone: 510-502-8508
Dirt-Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 21914
Congrats and way too keep plugging!

Ron
Racing Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 177266
Talking Driver report

We had left for San Felipe a week early to get some valuable per-running in. As we would be making a driver change at race mile 125, with separate pre-runners we managed to cover the entire course, up to three times, during the first three days. I did manage to get stuck with our new per-runner but had the pleasure of being help by Cameron Steele and Jesse Jones , now how cool is that, thanks again guys.

Anyway on Thursday we decided to fine tune the Transfer case express class 4 buggy for the extra large size woops, even though this late in the game was risky. After a few passes, Mike though we had a loose bolt somewhere, as he could her "something" making a metallic noise. A few more passes and the shock where getting real close to dial in. There was still an issue with the car wanting to swap ends at the transition point from driving in the woops to driving on top of them with the longer woops. It was then that transaxle sounded as if it had exploded. As we where to find out, third gear had given up. It had and tosses a tooth into the case, eventually disintegrating itself. Despair reigned, the only consolation was that it would have happened in the race, if we had not tested. We had about 38 hours to race start, so we called up Ron Weddle, to see if he could help, and he gave us several options. After some debating we decided to drive to his shop, as he would meet us there even in the middle in the night. Not only did he keep that promise, but he found a spot in his motor-home for our guys. After an emergency overnight rebuild, 2:30 am t'ill 7:30, we had our transaxle back. 23 hours after it had left, our transaxle was in SF. We got the Transfer Case Express car trough tech that night, thank you Ian, Andy and Ron for going the extra mile... and then some!

The plan now was to drive conservative until we where sure everything was fine and then gradually push harder. Well we hadn’t even got up the first wash when our first flat cost us an unplanned (no duh) 11 minutes "down" time. At that point I had already gone to race mile 125 and lost contact with what was going on.

By the time the car reach me, we had closed the gap back down to 9 minutes. With full tanks and a new spare, as the car had tossed the last spare out in the desert somewhere, we took off. We had lost track of split time in our preparation, so Berne and I left thinking we had about 14 minutes to catch up. We also knew that if we lost this race, it would be nearly impossible to go for a season win, so we floored it.

The initial part was a hard packed, rocky and wooped out section, giving us an immediate taste of what laid ahead. After passing a couple racers, we started down Matomi wash. As we started to wind our way down, we passed quite a few cars whose race was over, the rocky transition area had taken them out. We almost joined them when I had chosen to go right of a maytag size bolder and Berne called for me to go left. We stopped within inches. Cursing and swearing I put the car in reverse fearing we were stuck but the Transfer Case Express buggy moved and so we return to the race. Knowing that the toughest part lay just ahead, the cross-grain section leading towards Azufre wash, we did our best to enjoy the higher speed section of lower Matomi. The transition was even worse than I remembered, and beat us into a pulp. About five mile out of our next pit, the car felt strange, but I could not put my finger on it, the roughness just overwhelmed it all. About two miles away from the pit, the wop-wop sound of a flat tire confirm the sensation I had earlier, we had our second flat of the day. Since it had been several miles of rough rocky terrain, we knew the tire and rim where already shot, so we push on to the pits, for a faster tire change. A mile out we confirmed we would be stopping as we now had tire shreds flying over the car. We got the “roger that” from Chris and Andy followed by "419" is just driving by! I damned the flat we had, but now I knew I could catch them. It took Baja pits and our guys quite a while to hammer off the rim, it had just about wrapped itself around the brake caliper. After what seemed like interminable minutes we took off for the chase.

Azufre wash was quite hammered by the racers since our pre-run, but was still a nice windy wash with no “big” surprises. By the time we reached the top, we were in 419s dust. We patiently waited for a good opportunity to pass and did so just before the last straight away that send us across Morelia valley floor. At the end of the straight away we made the 90 degree turn to head down the valley and the clutch stuck. I had no gears, pumped the clutch a couple time got it unstuck and got us going again, just about when the Transfer Case Express buggy was going to get stuck. Berne and I both though we would see 419 blow by us but it didn’t happen. We headed down the valley in a huge wooped silty wash, soon to make another 90 degree turn and head back up into Huatamote wach. Driving up the straight away, we had the buggy on the top of the woops, hit a couple larger one that sent us sailing though the air. We must have clear at least a couple woops, I hope someone got a good picture, as there were people standing there. Heading up the wash was nerve racking as it is very soft, almost silty, wooped and steep, but the transfer case express buggy handled it just fine. Soon we were in the transition area, a quite rocky section with several rock drop offs. We got word that 419 was 15 or so minutes behind us, we relaxed as we raced back down what was now a high speed and wide open wash. We called in to our next pit, and told them we had no issues and would be speeding on by. With the exception of another rock crawling section linking both washes, the remaining two washes, Chanate and Amarillas, were the fastest in my driving section and we flew up and down them mostly in top gear without issues.

We drove through the last of the woops transiting out of Amarillas wash, jumped a couple booby traps, flew on top of the small woops along the power line road and turned onto the last straight away. The car felt squirmy although not bad enough for me to suspect we had another flat. But the last turn onto the pavement, what must have looked like a power slide, confirmed it, our third flat.... dang.

We finish first in class 4, some 10 minutes ahead of second place... Woot!

thanks to all our sponsors.....Transfer Case Express, Torchmate CNC Cutting Systems, PowerTank, RuffStuff, PSC Steering, Shaffer’s Offroad, and a special thanks to Ron Weddle for the above and beyond service and to Betty Twitchell and familly for the hospitality!

Last edited by Enfoiré; 03-15-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spell
Enfoiré is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 11801
Here is the rest of the pics I got and a short video

http://youtu.be/6PgZ9QkM_tU
Attached Images

Alameda CA 94501

Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 11801
And here is a few cell phone pics of Ron saving the day
Attached Images

Alameda CA 94501