New bullnose f150 race truck build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Desert Racing
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
New bullnose f150 race truck build

So after many crawler projects over the years I've wanted ato build a prerun sand truck for a lot of years, something that eventually can take down to the hammers every year and play around while buddies crawl and possibly enter some vintage races. I had a older f100 In mind but happened upon this truck recently, thing is I knew this truck, when I was in high school a buddies dads friend had paid a shop to build this truck and he sank a bunch of $ into it and then the guy got huge(450+lbs huge) and could not fit in it so he stored it at my buddies house, we used to steal it all the time and take it to the dunes until the guy found out and got mad and took it back, well it recently popped up for sale for $2k and I knew I had to have it. It's a 1981 Ford F-150 4x4, with what I believe to bbe all older autofab parts, cut and turned ttb, coil buckets, long radius arms etc and was told deaver rear springs but I can't tell what they are. Truck is caged front to back, aluminum dash, older race seats and harnesses etc. truck was built in the early 90's with old school tech and updated somewhat in the later 90's with rancho rs9012's setup with in cab compressor and gauges and controls mounted next to driver seat. It had a built 300 6 and a 4speed with 208 t case, neat, but not my style, so time to update everything!
earthad58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
How do I post pictures?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
Here is the day I brought it home! Cool start but a lot has to change, so out came the 6 cylinder, sold that for $400 and next is the trans and t case, I picked up a rebuilt .030 351w with a cam and edelbrock intake complete carb to pan and all accessories for $400, doesn't even have 100 miles on it! Next I picked up a c6 with 208 t case that needed rebuilt for $200 (small block c6 cases are hard to find) and I bought a 2wd big block c6 from a buddy that was freshly built with full manual valve body and upgraded clutches brand new with new in box deep finned aluminum pan with filter and caskets etc for $100, I just finished swapping all the guts from the 2wd into the 4x4.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
Got on amazon and went a little crazy with the lights lol but I want to see! I also ordered a nice new marine switch panel for the lights and it has a digital voltmeter and USB and cigarette lighter ports built in. This thing needs a heater so I ordered the summit racing 28k btu heater with defrost vent kit that I will be mounting under the dash. Found a crazy good deal on a set of aluminum heads with 1.7 roller rockers and valve covers and arp head bolts so had to buy those, now time to order the new cam to match! I order d a 2500 stall converter so it's on its way as well. I also just received 4 new foa 2.5"x16" remote res shocks with upgraded high heats seals and wear bands. I have all these new parts but need to get to work on cleanup, truck sat for awhile and looks like after getting sprayed with salt water, so I need to spend a few evenings with a wire wheel and some primer and paint before I go to town on installing new stuff. Rear shocks will be mounted differently, going to mount on top of leaf spring plates and run up to cage down tubes where I will bend a small tube and plate and make a double shear mount, the front engine cage/shock mounts are going to get cut out and I'm going to bend up a new engine cage mounts
Attached Images

Last edited by earthad58; 02-03-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25632
All those cheap lights probably won't go near as far as those old kc's....

Cool truck though.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
lol that's what I thought but honestly just the headlights alone make those kc's look pretty pitiful, I'm keeping the kc's on for looks but really the leds are so much brighter, just need some amber covers for the dust. Really what it comes down to is how will the cheap leds hold up to bumps and vibration etc

Last edited by earthad58; 02-03-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
Well luckily I decided to buy different heads, pulled stock heads today and almost all exhaust valves were sucked up in the head 1/4", they are done for. I also decided today that the 8.8 to 1 dished pistons will not make me happy so I took the engine over to a local race engine builder I work with and dropped it off, he will be building me a 393 stroker in the next couple weeks, full eagle rotating assemble, full roller hydraulic cam etc, will be 10.6 to 1 compression and running on pump fuel and should make a very nice hp torque curve and make this truck a lotttttt more fun. Not much else done today as it rained nearly 4" today and stormed and the shop is full of torn apart transmission and engine parts so truck is sitting outside until I get everything cleaned up. I'm also moving into a house across the street this week with a garage so the truck will be moved there and the real work will bwgin
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthad58 View Post
lol that's what I thought but honestly just the headlights alone make those kc's look pretty pitiful, I'm keeping the kc's on for looks but really the leds are so much brighter, just need some amber covers for the dust. Really what it comes down to is how will the cheap leds hold up to bumps and vibration etc
In my experience they are bright, but just don't go that far.

I've never used or seen those headlights though.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
Pulled the truck in tonight to start pulling the 4 speed out to sell and the t case, got my new c6 all out back together and ordered my art Carr shifter today, removed rear shocks and limit straps and pulled bed sides, getting ready to do some major deep cleaning, surface rust removal and paint, then starting on new shock mounts.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
Pulled old trans and t case tonight and there is a fair amount of rust on everything underneath,sand packed in everything and looks like they drove through saltwater and then parked it, I'm gonna be spending a lottttt of time with a wire wheel this next week and some rustoleum rust reformer.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
There no one on this page?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 109533
Desert racing on Pirate has largely died. Too bad.

Great project. Keep posting.
I'm gathering parts for a near identical project - 80 F150 short bed. Built 400/C6/1356/full float/big brakes yada yada yada. Hope to do the NORRA race next year and retire in San Felipe in a few more years.
Some of us do appreciate old iron and these trucks perform amazingly well when done right.

Keep up the good work!
shawn t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
Seems like it! Well sun came out today so I got it pressure washed up and pulled into the carport and put on jackstands, just spent the last 4 hours wire wheeling and starting to paint, going to start on my shock mounts tomorrow and mount my new battery box behind the cab, now I'm going to go turn my shower orange from all this rust dust right after I finish picking all these wires out of me!
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 109533
Where are you located? Washington from the license plate? I get up there occasionally.

Going to Deaver 64" leaf under rear springs?

Again, great project. If you don't know, lot's of applicable, good info on GoFastBroncos.

Last edited by shawn t; 02-12-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
No the plate was something a buddy zip tied on there, one he found lol, it's not plated, I'm between Wilsonville/canby Oregon. The current setup are 3" wide x 56-57" springs, with a long shackle. I'm going to put it together and run it a bit like this but I'm going to end up linking the back with trailing arms. Spent the last two days wire wheeling and painting, got rear shocks on just need to get some plate steel tomorrow and make the top mounts.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
I find it kind of odd that the previous owner mounted the rear shackles down like a ranger. Seems all the long travel spring setups ive seen are the opposite
Old 02-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Quote:
There no one on this page?
Don't quit posting, I love me a bullnose F150! Looks like a fun toy to me
Old 02-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 109533
Quote:
I find it kind of odd that the previous owner mounted the rear shackles down like a ranger. Seems all the long travel spring setups ive seen are the opposite

Yup. Shackle flip is a standard mod for prerunner rangers.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 6170
Looks like a cool project. I like seeing the old fords built.

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
The rear suspension setup can't work well the way it is setup now, I removed rear shocks and limit straps and picked the back end up with a forklift and only had about 3" of droop lol, I'm pretty sure the stock suspension shackle setup would work better. I found a set of 63" springs close by so I think I'm going to pick those up and build my own leaf pack with the original upright shackle setup.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
Got some more work done today, added windshield v bars to cage, built upper rear shock mounts, not super stoked on how they turned out, not done yet but we'll see how they work, also spent half the day rounding up steel and aluminum to start my center console and also set up my plasma cutter, man those things are nice, not sure why it took me this long to finally buy one but I can now see I won't be refilled my torch bottles very often. I also ordered two new mastercraft original seats today, can't wait till those show up!
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
Quote:
Well luckily I decided to buy different heads, pulled stock heads today and almost all exhaust valves were sucked up in the head 1/4", they are done for. I also decided today that the 8.8 to 1 dished pistons will not make me happy so I took the engine over to a local race engine builder I work with and dropped it off, he will be building me a 393 stroker in the next couple weeks, full eagle rotating assemble, full roller hydraulic cam etc, will be 10.6 to 1 compression and running on pump fuel and should make a very nice hp torque curve and make this truck a lotttttt more fun. Not much else done today as it rained nearly 4" today and stormed and the shop is full of torn apart transmission and engine parts so truck is sitting outside until I get everything cleaned up. I'm also moving into a house across the street this week with a garage so the truck will be moved there and the real work will bwgin
Dunno if that's your motor pictured or not, but that's the wrong oil pan, you'll want a rear sump oil pan to clear the engine crossmember, and also for oil pickup reasons.

Love these trucks, keep it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It'll only be bigger, better, & tougher next year
mustange70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
Yeah no, I just tossed up a picture of a motor just to help keep things moving along and keep me stoked lol, my motor is at the engine builder being put together right now. It's now a 11.2:1 393, weisco forged flat tops and eagle rods and crank with a xr288hr comp cams roller cam
Old 02-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
Good catch tho! I was wondering after I posted that if anyone would notice lol.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41453
Got a little more work done last night, played and boxed in my front ttb housing and went to mount my new front coils only to find out the bottoms of the new coils don't taper to a small coil that fit the factory storye spring bucket and clamp, so I fabbed up a spring bucket and made a new heavy duty spring clamp and got them installed, today I got my new under dash heater installed as well as the defroster vent kit, went in super easy and seems like a great little unit, now time to build my center console. The picture I posted of the console is a style that is like to copy minus the tuffy box he attached his too.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.