CORR short course racing, happening right now in Socal! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Desert Racing
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7342
Send a message via Yahoo to jdfab
CORR short course racing, happening right now in Socal!

www.corracing.com

if you live in Socal you need to get to Chula Vista today to watch the CORR races. Starts at 12pm
Old 10-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 89
Send a message via MSN to Whitewater Send a message via Yahoo to Whitewater
any updates on the race? I checke RDC but didn't see much. Particularly wondering how Oscar Lara, Billy Manfroy and Broc Ross did.

"Having too many 'things', American's spend their hours and money on the couch searching for a soul. A strange species we are... If I wanted to destroy a nation, I would give it too much and I would have it on it's knees, miserable, greedy and sick." -John Steinbeck
Whitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 89
Just reading over at another off road site and noticed Oscar Lara (a northern CA low budget 7 open racer) took the win in the "Dregs" class!
F'n Awesome!!! Congratulations Oscar!!! can't wait to hear the story next weekend at VORRA!

"Having too many 'things', American's spend their hours and money on the couch searching for a soul. A strange species we are... If I wanted to destroy a nation, I would give it too much and I would have it on it's knees, miserable, greedy and sick." -John Steinbeck
Old 10-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19760
whats dregs class?is that the daily driver/prerunner class?
LEMON RACECAR www.24hoursoflemons.com
www.norcalprerunners.com
fabtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 89
It's a combo of like 7open, 7s, and the prerunner guys. Basically an open mini truck class but also known as "desert trucks".

Oscar called last night, he said he won the heat on Saturday and was leading Sunday until a rollover brought out the yellow. Biker Sherlock caught him during the Yellow and passed him when they returned to green. Oscar ended up taking second and Billy Manfroy (he's on this board) took 3rd.
I'm sure Billy will give a good writeup when he get's back to the computer.

Last edited by Whitewater; 10-23-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater
Just reading over at another off road site and noticed Oscar Lara (a northern CA low budget 7 open racer) took the win in the "Dregs" class!
F'n Awesome!!! Congratulations Oscar!!! can't wait to hear the story next weekend at VORRA!
way to go Oscar that kicks major ass!!!! fawk,wish i knew there was a race i just left chula vista yesterday.F-me runnin
Old 10-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 24501
Well, the racing and the track/facilities were awesome. We did the 2005 races last October also. We got a LOT of help from just about anyone that walked into our pits, but Lance & Jason came through with some serious parts loans that saved our weekend, and Tim & Haley Murphy helped with labor all weekend. Our adopted family Dave & Erica Dohme who live on the strand provided the crash pad, food and drinks.

Broke the tie rod due to contact with Biker Sherlock (Yes, the land-luger guy) on the first lap or two of Friday's practice. Spent literally all night tracking down parts and a place (Goodbody Gear in Lakeside) to fab up a replacement. Got to bed at like 4 am or something ridiculous like that.

Hurried back to the track in the morning to finish the repairs and make some changes on the shocks. Missed Saturday's practice (They only give us 2 laps) so we started the race not knowing if the steering would even hold up, or what the track conditions were. We got a reasonable start, but got bottled up behind a big-ass V8 Ranger. Broc Ross, Oscar Lara, and Biker were all knotted up with us behind the guy. Went to make the pass in the first turn after the finish line, and our tranny locked up in 2nd & 3rd. It's a recently-rebuilt C6, but the same thing happened as before... Band wore out and applied all the clutches at once. Limped around in first, and the in-car footage has my brother asking me, "I didn't see the spare tranny in the trailer." He was right. It somehow got left at the shop. Our good buddy and frequent competitor Oscar won the day with Biker behind him. Broc Ross apparently spit something in the Baja Shop Ranger (They won the SCORE Terrible's Cup toegether in June) and got flipped over by another racer when he slowed. That was his 2nd and final roll of the weekend, as the motor was terminal.

Scrambled around the pits hitting up everyone, and we found out that our buddy Lance Rinehart uses the same trans in his pro-2, and had already blown a motor. Lots of help later, the truck started up and picked all the gears. Got to bed around 1-2 this time.

Came back in the morning and followed Biker in practice to see what lines he had worked out from the previous day. Got the mother of all holeshots when the race started (we waxed everyone including the V8's) and ran around for two or so laps in the lead. Oscar eventually made it by and Biker followed. Both of them backed up to us at various points in the race, but we couldn't really put together super clean laps with all the 7S/1450 guys starting in front of us. Both Oscar and Biker have gotten WAY faster and a big props to both of them, because I can safely say we've never driven that hard/fast and lost. Biker won, and Oscar got 2nd (-1.5 sec) , and we kept 3rd (-4.5) I would have liked all 3 of the podium positions to go to the VORRA/norcal regulars, but I gess two out of three ain't bad. The tranny's already out to go back to Lance, and we're putting our spare in now. Next weekend's VORRA race will be our 4th race in 5 weeks and all we have to do is finish both heats to take my 3rd Class 7 championship. We're going to tweak the suspension a little more to settle the rear down, but if Oscar gives us any trouble at all we'll just let him go and go for the points. Of course, I'd rather battle with him, or just drive away from him, but the championship is more important to us.

See you Halloween wekend at Prairie City!!!

Billy
Billy_Manfroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 32248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Manfroy
Well, the racing and the track/facilities were awesome. We did the 2005 races last October also. ...
Billy

I did a LiveWebCast at both of last year's Chula Vista races:

http://corracing.textamerica.com
[ note the categories on the right, just select the day & "Class 7s" race ]

Here's a live video clip from Sunday/Oct 2:

http://corracing.textamerica.com/?r=...8&_ctgry=18208

What does your truck look like? Can you identify your truck in that wild start? Other stuff from that race at:

http://corracing.textamerica.com/?_ctgry=18208

There was 1 race where Larry Roeseler had a close battle with one of the Dreggs Class 7. I think LR nosed him out at the finish-line, the Dreggs truck nearly flipped!!

More material at:

http://www.jumplive.com/corr05a/index.html
[ Class 7 video at http://www.jumplive.com/corr05a/24/des7.mov ]

http://www.jumplive.com/corr05b/index.html
[ Class 7 video at http://www.jumplive.com/corr05b/101/7.mov ]

Last edited by byen00; 10-23-2006 at 08:23 PM.
byen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 32248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Manfroy
...Broc Ross apparently spit something in the Baja Shop Ranger (They won the SCORE Terrible's Cup toegether in June) and got flipped over by another racer when he slowed. That was his 2nd and final roll of the weekend, as the motor was terminal.
Billy

I did a LiveWebCast of last July's Terribles Cup II, here are some pics of Broc Ross:

http://terriblescup.textamerica.com/?_ctgry=24958

More material at:

http://www.jumplive.com/tcup06/index.html
byen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 24501
Quote:
Originally Posted by byen00
What does your truck look like? Can you identify your truck in that wild start?
I drive the black Camburg Ford Ranger. Here's a link to a pic from the SCORE Terrible's Cup II by Jason at High Rev... There's more from that race if you browse around in there a little from that weekend.

http://www.highrevphoto.com/paypal.p...ORE_bb0303.jpg

I'm just out of frame in the picture you posted. That's Oscar Lara on the inside coming over the berm with a dying fuel pump. I actually have some GREAT in-car footage of that start. It was hairy. I'll post it ASAP.

Meantime, here's one I posted a while back. This is what happens when your ailing steering finally locks up with a lap to go for a podium behind Broc and Larry... Only took out about 300 feet of chain link fence, and we ended up on the return road for the drag strip on the driver's door. That's Oscar co-riding with me. No wonder he went back to running his own truck.

http://www.manfroymotorsports.com/06_TTCUPII_Crash.wmv

Last edited by Billy_Manfroy; 10-24-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Billy_Manfroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 81379
Dudes, I'm finally on. Thanks for ther props. It was a tough race and I cant wait for next year so we can do it again!
See ya this weekend!
Oscar
o-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 481
Billy,
Thanks for the race update...we slept in and I guess your race got moved up or something and we just missed it when we drove in. So we missed seeing you race again and this time we were not even wrenching on our truck! Hope you had the in car camera going so we can see the race...

Jason
Brutpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19760
Hey Oscar cute name for pirate cya sunday chris
LEMON RACECAR www.24hoursoflemons.com
www.norcalprerunners.com
fabtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 81379
http://race.off-road.com/race/articl....jsp?id=380769

Check it out......
o-town is offline   Reply With Quote