Pirate 4x4 banner

what up dudes, posting for my bro'

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Curious1 
#1 ·
he's wondering what you guys are doing to get 3-5 feet travel in the rear. I mean as far as fabbing or scrounging your own quarter elliptic setups. probably for a 1/2 ton or so ford or chevy. he's about to buy a truck to start building and wanted to know where to start looking.
thanks for any help.
jd

#10 ·
look at 7s trucks. since they are lower HP they need to "skip" over whoops and stuff so it won't slow you down. If you only have 150hp and are going up and down the 3ft whoops it'll slow you down compared to having 20" of travel and just skipping over them, just hitting the tops. Just watch some vids and look at TT's they skip over the whoops along with the lower hp guys. It's the only real way to keep up speed with lower HP trucks. Every big hit slows you down more if your truck soaks all of it up. it's kinda hard to explain but there has to be a HP vs. Wheel Travel ratio.

#12 ·
thanks for the info. I mentioned the 3-5 feet travel cuz that's what I heard the pros had.
however, if you run the rubber brake line down to where the axle pivots, like maybe by the spring eye, then it wouldn't have to move very far at all to accomodate lots and lots of wheel travel. and if you pivoted the rear end at the same spot on the frame as where the u-joint bends, then you'd just have to worry about the angle, not changing length.
but I was just checking some info for my brother. thanks for the help. don't you guys run some quarter elliptic setups out there? I heard they were good for 3feet travel easy.
jd

#13 ·
Some of the older desert trucks ran quarter elliptic springs (class 8, 7, and probably a couple more). I think it was mostly to get around the rules. They had to have "stock suspension concept" (ie coils, leaf springs, torsion bars....etc.). The quarter ellipticals were a way to get a high travel
"leaf spring". They worked well but they seemed very heavy compared to a coil over set up. I'm not sure what the cost differences would be though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.