Starting my research, could use some help... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Desert Racing
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 87150
Starting my research, could use some help...

I'm planning on building up a Range Rover based race truck to compete in MDR and S.C.O.R.E. races, I figure if the Jeepspeed guys can tear it up, why couldn't a Rover, they aren't that different afterall? I've ordered the S.C.O.R.E. rule book, and still need to track down a rulebook for MDR racing. I think ultimatly I'll end up building something closer to stock, but I have a few ideas to build something a little crazier.

I'm looking at building it closer to an MDR 1400 class truck wich meens some serious fab work. I could drop it off at a shop and let them deal with it, but that doesn't sound fun. What I'm looking for are books, websites, ect that go over the basics of suspension design, cages, basicly all the ins and outs of designing a race truck. I could probably figure it out through trial and error, but it's going to be about 3 months before I can start building the truck anyhow, so I may as well read-up.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 62320
I race in the UK where RR based vehicles are in the majority, I would search the UK websites for information. 2 years ago I navigated for a mate who raced a LR based Bowler (as you may know most of the later LR models are variants on the same theme, axles engines gearboxes etc. are interchangable) it is now for sale on ebay, the equipment list shows what you will need to do. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3331&rd=1&rd=1. Ignore the body shape it is based on disco chassis components.
This vehicle puts up with a real beating, if you were drawing up a list of best parts to use this would be it. (I am not trying to sell it for my mate just letting you know what works!)
Most racers in the UK use the front suspension layout on the rear as well (use the "hockey sticks" + Panhard rod) I suppose this will depend on the rules, lockers front & rear are good but make sure they are gentle in action in the front, the Quaife is a good bit of kit for the front. Fine spline diffs are a must, these should be "pegged" to stop the CW flexing. HD axle shafts are a must, standard will not last long. Uprated swivel pins will save the front hubs falling off with heavy landings.
Hope this helps
Tim
muddi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 65868
If you base your build off of the SCORE rule book...you will be covered at most if not all other racing sanctions
SCOOTER/X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 87150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOOTER/X View Post
If you base your build off of the SCORE rule book...you will be covered at most if not all other racing sanctions
That's kinda what I figured, now I just need to wait for that book to show up in the mail, and then I can get to pricing this thing out.

muddi44, that Tomcat is cool, and the Bowler Wildcat is what started me on this path, but if things go as planned I'm hoping to build something even faster than a Wildcat, for a lot less money.

Still looking for info on suspension design, and geometry, that sorta thing.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 37016
1400 trucks are about as far from stock as possible for MDR. our equal length beamed race, v8, linked, couldn't keep up with half the 1400 guys out there. I'd shoot for class 3 or something along those lines. It'll be a better ride than a stock class and you'll still be competitive since they're all limited more than sportsman. Good luck and psot up some pics once you get it going.
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 87150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Chevy4x4 View Post
1400 trucks are about as far from stock as possible for MDR. our equal length beamed race, v8, linked, couldn't keep up with half the 1400 guys out there. I'd shoot for class 3 or something along those lines. It'll be a better ride than a stock class and you'll still be competitive since they're all limited more than sportsman. Good luck and psot up some pics once you get it going.
Running with the 1400 class guys would definitly be a challenge, especially if I'm driving, but I know it's possible to do, I'm just going to have to take a serious look at my bank account to see if it's up to the task. Like I said I'm still at least a few months out on starting this thing, I need to buy the "donor" truck a new tig welder and clear out some space in the garage. One way or another I will end up building a race Range Rover, it's just a matter of when and how much original Range Rover will be left.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37016
I was just about to say that you'l most likely end up with a ranger rover body and all new chassis under it.
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote