4WD Class 7200 - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Desert Racing
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #76 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11961
That Lexus t-case is sexy! Mine is a Jeepspeed so I am limited to a jeep t-case by the rules. I use a late model 249J and run in full time 4wd and it works way better than the 4-5 231's i have broken. The car is very good in 4wd, way better than 2wd.
Bigburlynakedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #77 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
the problem with the 80 series case is that it is its own mounting bolt pattern-and its heavy. not a lightweight jeep part

the lexus tcase is full time 4WD. there is a part time kit but it deletes the center diff.
laproscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #78 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87095
the real bad news is that 4wd is not nessisary for the desert racing we do.......once someone builds a badass 6 cylinder trophytruck with some money behind it and a good driver, the class will be dominated......
banned4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 114258
The sad thing is that class will be dominated by a class 10 car with a v6 if anyone ever decides to do it. Class 10 cars allready beat the 7200's, double the horsepower with some bigger components. Watch out!!
zjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 113405
Quote:
Originally Posted by laproscopic View Post
my lexus tcase has a visc coupler when unlocked and a selectable center diff that of course eliminates the effect of the visc coupler. I installed 3.15 tcase gears installed (from australia.)

these tcases are bombproof and come in 80 series and 100series landcruisers. the visc couplers are only in the 80 series and were only installed for a few years in the mid 90's.

mine sees 300hp, 6500lbs, and 42's all the time without a wimper. but it doesn't see 500hp and desert racing....
As I'm from NZ and we basically only have Toyota's, Nissans and other Jap stuff so I'm pretty familiar with 80 and 100 series T-cases. No one in the series I run uses them as the coupler doesn't survive.

The guys that have used the 80 viscious coupler have found it doesn't like the huge variation in speed that happens in a race so it appears in concept they are great but just not really up to the job long term when there is speed involved but will handle trail and slow speed without a problem.

(The case with part-time conversions appears to be very strong)

What I'm building should be under 4000lbs with 600hp and 36's.
darinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #81 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 84132
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjohnson View Post
The sad thing is that class will be dominated by a class 10 car with a v6 if anyone ever decides to do it. Class 10 cars allready beat the 7200's, double the horsepower with some bigger components. Watch out!!
Yep, 10 car with a body... similar to Tatum's 1 car with a body that won in Laughlin.
www.geiserbros.com
www.campbellent.com
AEI Motorsports
howyadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #82 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 26821
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinz View Post
As I'm from NZ and we basically only have Toyota's, Nissans and other Jap stuff so I'm pretty familiar with 80 and 100 series T-cases. No one in the series I run uses them as the coupler doesn't survive.

The guys that have used the 80 viscious coupler have found it doesn't like the huge variation in speed that happens in a race so it appears in concept they are great but just not really up to the job long term when there is speed involved but will handle trail and slow speed without a problem.

what no rovers in NZ???

landrover lt230 is stronger and is used in buggy's here in Oz. They are open diff full time 4wd with selectable locker....very simple/strong and easy to use. can get 3.2,4.1 and 4.8 low range gear sets...1.1,1.4 and 1.6 high range....
uninformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #83 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinz View Post

good to know. mine truck is only a crawler-not a racer- and the coupler has survived but most of the time im in low range which locks the center diff automatically and eliminates the coupler.
laproscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #84 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Quote:
Originally Posted by banned4life View Post
the real bad news is that 4wd is not nessisary for the desert racing we do.......once someone builds a badass 6 cylinder trophytruck with some money behind it and a good driver, the class will be dominated......
If work and life would just quit getting in the way.

This truck looks great. Nice work!!! I have never gotten stuck in my truck, but there sure have been some times I would have felt better with 4wd. Like the silt bed after Laguna Salada. I remember you telling me to just stay away from it altogether. Those words were burned into my brain. I would have slept better the night before if I knew I had 4wd on my side.

We are hiring! Email your resume to our Human Resources Manager at cnichols@torchmate.com and ask about openings.

Buy your consumables here! www.torchmatestore.com
Torchmate Racing Homepage: www.torchmateracing.com
Torchmate CNC Forum here: /forum/125-torchmate-cnc-forum/
Torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #85 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11961
there were a lot of stuck pick-em-up trucks there in 09. I didn't dare stop to pull em out, or i woulda been done.
Bigburlynakedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Team MacPhearson did a lot of testing back in the day of AWD T-cases in the Little Mac 7 trucks. They ended up running a Cyclone AWD T-case with high only and a 35/65 front to rear split on it. It had it's own pump and cooler to combat heat. They ran 4X full time and won several championships and Baja 1000's........ On a mostly stock T-case..........
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #87 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 26821
now i know its not the power or abuse that you guys run, but some hotted up rovers : Range Rovers and Defenders have been run in classes in Dakar running the fulltime Tcase....

thinking about it more, im sure if the money was put into it 4wd could dominate.....there were some 2wd bikes runing in proto class about 2 years ago in Paris Dakar.....they where faster than the normal bikes.....
uninformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 30432
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
Team MacPhearson did a lot of testing back in the day of AWD T-cases in the Little Mac 7 trucks. They ended up running a Cyclone AWD T-case with high only and a 35/65 front to rear split on it. It had it's own pump and cooler to combat heat. They ran 4X full time and won several championships and Baja 1000's........ On a mostly stock T-case..........
that came to my mind too as I had a Cyclone. The problem would be finding one of those now! I have also had 3 SIlverado SS trucks that were putting some serious power to the ground (one was 550 hp supercharged) but damn those are some big cases.

JOSH
Old 08-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 27770

Any word on what actually went wrong? We saw them leave the line, but that was it.
Speedmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 141250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmetal View Post
Any word on what actually went wrong? We saw them leave the line, but that was it.

Just an update on the new truck. We had some cooling issues
At the last race. So we didnít want to push the truck and lose a motor.
To be safe we have put are replacement motor in and having the other check out.

Here are some picture of the front and rear diff that summit machine/tsa motorsports Have been working on for the last 1.5 years. We will fill everyone in on how they hold up after we get some more test miles on them.

Here is the 4.0 motor built by Lee at hesco

Here are some more picture of the chassis. Yes we are just taken a different approaches with this build than All the other 7200 trucks. It may work or it may not, but that is the fun of trying something different.

Here is a picture of the Transmission plate that Hesco design and summit machine went though and cut a lot of WT off and made it look cool

The accessory panel is a bulkhead that the bell housing of the tranny bolts to. A small drive shaft will attach the motor to the transmission which is set back about 2' from the engine.

HPI Racing,Camburg, BFG Tires, Summit Machine, Hesco, Red Olive, Findlay Toyota and Defined Engineering.

To Learn more about TSA Motorsports go to

[URL="http://www.tsamotorsports.com"]www.tsamotorsports.com[/URL]
TSA Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 141250
Here is a short video of some testing we still have some shock tuning to do. By the end of the day things were getting alot better. But we have a long ways to go before it race ready.

YouTube - TSA Motorsports 7262

HPI Racing,Camburg, BFG Tires, Summit Machine, Hesco, Red Olive, Findlay Toyota and Defined Engineering.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 141250
Here are some picture of the truck from the BOR race.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 141250
Here is some testing video from testing out at Jean,NV getting ready for the SNORE BAP next month. We may even run a few BITD 4400 races this year just for fun with the new truck.

YouTube - TSA Motorsports testing at Jean, NV

Old 01-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 141250
YouTube - TSA Motorsports 7226 build video

Last edited by TSA Motorsports; 01-24-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 141250
Here is more video from last weeks testing

YouTube - TSA Motorsports Testing at Jean, NV before the Snore BAP 2011