Pirate 4x4 banner

Baja lite vrs trophy lite

278K views 1K replies 117 participants last post by  bdkw1 
#1 ·
Trying to make sense of it all.

What is the main differences between the 2 ?

What class do they each run in score and bitd ?

Does the trophylite still have their own separate series ?

How many racers are showing up for each series ?

#2 ·
Trying to make sense of it all.

What is the main differences between the 2 ? Pistol builds one, Foutz builds teh other

What class do they each run in score and bitd ? 7-2 SCORE 6000 Bitd

Does the trophylite still have their own separate series ? Yes

How many racers are showing up for each series ? Got No Factual Data Here
:grinpimp:

#5 ·
ECO trucks is what I call them because there are a few different model of the same thing. I like the Mason truck alot. I think they have a 7200 version 6Cyl, that is class champion in SCORE right now.

Whatcha up to Camo?

Make sure its a VVT 2.4 if you are going ecotec racing. Little bastards scream with a good tune.

I bet someone has a list of all the brands out there.

Zukizzy on the board mated a Marlin built 151 to a ecotec, and built a pretty cool truggy that would be a solid choice for a MiniTT. V drive to an offset Diamond axle. in expensive race prep, plenty fast, hella fun.

If I had the cash thats what I would go race.

#11 ·
It seems to me that anybody can build a rig and run it in 7.2, or 6000 and as long as it conforms to spec for the class. However if you have an actual Trophylite and it's either new, or been upgraded to current specs, you can run in their series/pool/purse. For instance the purse is $6500 for the Mint this weekend, but you have to be running an actual Trophylite. You also, aparently, have to be running General Tires and KMC beadlocks among other things.

#13 ·
BAJALITE will be on display at the mint 400 contingency tomorrow.,...if you know ANYTHING about quality you can tell the difference from 20 feet away.....and the bajalite outperforms all of the others as well.....no it doesnt have an ever diminishing purse to give away each race but the trophylite purse will go away like protruck and then you are stuck with junk and no class to race it in except AGAINST the bajalite.....

#16 ·
7200 get expensive due to the 6 cyl. My buddies old truck had a $36,000 nascar busch series engine, but it was fast.

#18 ·
I have not driven the eco truck platform, with an auto, so hard to say which is best, but I have driven an assortment of the Eco based Buggies with Medeola transaxles. The buggies seem to pull the trucks but I think it has a lot to do with the Auto. I always wondered if it was TC issue with the TL, and the 2.2 vs the 2.4. The race prep on the Transaxle was a little more then what I would want to deal with, and that was the biggest cost for that platform.

I would love to see how the ECOtec with a manual trans would do in a rear engine configuration like Izzy's with a truck body on it. Are all the trucks still auto?

#20 ·
Yeah Jeff, Knox said over in another thread that the AUTO sucks power, and Pistols agreed. But the auto was more user friendly for Pistols rental program.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=965194

I like where Knox/Izzy/Dunntech are going with the mini-truggy Eco platform. And really helps knock down that prep-cost once you ditch the Mendi.

The sound of a Landshark-Lite has mucho appeal in my mind. :smokin:

#21 ·
I am racing a Trophylite this year, and I can verify that the support for the TrophyLite class is top notch - there is pit support at the races, not to mention a lot of people running the same parts if you happen to need a spare that you might not have brought. We pounded the crap out of our truck at Parker, and I was amazed at the abuse it could take. I crawled around underneath it to look at everything after the race, because I was sure I'd find some dents or cracks given what I alone had put it through - it looked like it did when it rolled onto the trailer brand new.

I have no experience in a BajaLite, but I can say if you are looking to get into one of these trucks, the TrophyLite series is great, the payouts are nice, and the support alone is well worth it. The ecotec motors are a bit underpowered, but I understand why they have chosen to use them. Not a big deal since everyone else in the class is underpowered as well.....

Just my .02.

#26 ·
Any current Bajalite owners then? Let's just say I've got some extra cash to burn.... Anybody out there? I haven't ridden in a TL, or BL or the pro runner for that matter, much less driven one. As a new driver/buyer, it is appealing that TL has a purse at each race, and the pit support. Does BL have pit support? Really just want to know.

#23 ·
ecotecs are where it's at as far as prep costs go.

I'd like to build an ecotec truggy/ truck bodied ecotec rig with a front/ mid engine, tough manual trans and bling 9". I think prep costs would be minimal if you could find a trans that held up. Light and simple with no automatic to suck power/ the extra weight of coolers and everything else required for an auto.

One of my buddies preps a trophy lite and thinks it's a solid platform.

Trophy lites require general tires which gets you baja pits pit support. I'll give a post mint report on what we had to fix at pit E. I haven't had one in our pit yet with issues (not saying they don't have issues, they probably have had their crews fix it instead of baja pits). Foutz recomended they fuel at our pit at the mint which is around RM85 because they don't quite have a 100 mile range to make it back to main.

#30 ·
Pistol, good talking to you on Fremont. Truck looked good. How did the Bajalite do on Saturday? I kept hearing Weatherman talking about it, but with all the other problems going on I dont recall what they said was wrong.

#31 ·
#33 ·
So how much are your trucks pete? I looked at your truck on Fremont street and could see the "quality" of your truck..........could you post up some pics of your bajalite and ill take some of the trophylite so we can let the viewers decide? I noticed you have no fuel cell protection at all. It actually hangs down and was beat to shit. That would suck to run out of fuel because you punched a rock through cell and bladder. Hmmm Uncapped rear chassis tubes i would not consider quality. Not nit picking but lack of attention to detail. I didnt look to see if its been fixed but what about the trailing arm bolt on the chassis side having the hex head cut in half for clearance issues? after thought perhaps? I do like the fact that you have a full floater rear. Props on that choice. On the flip side after prepping and building trophy lites for awhile i have never seen any bent axles (thank you Currie) from "racing" just from wad-ups. I actually was measuring axle run out just the other day on a set of axles with maybe 4 races on them and had only .004 of run out. Not bad. I will also challenge anybody to compare the welds on any of the USA made Trophylite chassis to the Baja Lite. Maybe i'm Biased because i weld them but your wanna be geiser rear upper shock mount looks horrible..........Its ok you can ignore this post Pete. If anybody has any requests for pics of certain things on the trucks just ask. All OF THE NEW CHEVY TROPHYLITES WILL HAVE THE VVT 2.4. We will run a restrictor plate for any TL series race. So If you wanna race any other races pull the plate and kick some ass.

#35 ·
i had 3 donkeylites and axles where bent or broken EVERY single race......you want to compare quality or performance????? i will do either, there is NO comparison,....you already know that, so does greg......donkeylite= broken a-arms, broken axles, broken trailing arms, bend and broken rearends, bent and broken chassis needing replacment, front hubs falling apart, crappy brakes, broken bolts and oil pans on the engines (due to the fact that the engine IS the gusset to the entire front frame section), horrible driveshaft vibrations and goofy "double " front u-joints......and the list goes on......

#36 ·
Pete you've done an awesome job of bashing the Trophy Lite, but no so good of a job answering the questions about your program.

How about take youngunns post apart and address each of the points he raised?

#38 ·
sorry...i thought i did....please explain....new trucks will be tigged, like the original should have....and they will have a rear bumper (small one).....im not bashing the donkeylite just pointing out the FACTS....and as i said previously , ASK ONE OF THE MANY, MANY PREVIOUS DONKEYLITE OWNERS...not the builders or the current owners trying to suck you in.....

#43 ·
When we raced the BL the motor problem was a wiring harness issue. The injector harness vibrated itself apart inside the conector.

Pete can elaborate if I miss the point.

In my opinion it was not so much a quality problem but a new rig bug. The solution was to build a wire loom support and keep vibrations under control so the conectors didn't rattle apart.

#44 ·
I have to admit, I'm not being sold on the BL. Part of the reason this was started was a conversation between Camo and I. I am honestly in the market for one of these trucks. Price aside, I am trying to look at all the options. This will be more of a toy/occasional racer for me and I don't plan on making a fortune doing it... We all know how much of a gold mine racing is.... Everybody is making money hand over fist! Anyways. I have sunk a decent amount of money into an ultra 4, and I have pretty much 0 desert racing experience. I figured one of these would be a great way to get my feet wet and not go out and destroy a 300k TT. So, with that background, I have to admit the TL is looking more and more appealing. I like the fact that TL has a trailer of spares there for you. I appreciate the fact that the BL's have never needed it, however, we all know you can spend as much $$$ on the right parts and sometimes something just breaks. If you are trying to appeal to a different consumer then that's fine. But for someone that is just gettin involved in desert racing TL's support/payout/price is appealing. I haven't spoke to you in a couple years, Pete, 2 years ago in baja was te last time. You were very passionate about your BL's then and I like that. I've also spoken to Neil Mason, and he seems to build a superb product. I am, at this point probably going to buy a TL. I matter your arrive and drive program though and maybe TL's rental program first.... I just haven't decided yet. From a perspective client's view though, Pete, you should focus more on the highlights of your product. The way you Went about it seemed condescending and bitter. Just sayin....

#51 ·
I wont participate in the Pete-bash-a-thon but if anyone wants to know about the TROPHYLITE program you can talk to me directly. Im not hiding or going anywhere. I just prefer not to participate in this type of bashing. I dont beleive it to convey the professional message that we live by. My email is gregf@TROPHYLITE.com and my shop phone number is 480-633-3010.

If you want to come out and drive one of the trucks at our test session we can arrange that too.... Your call....

#47 ·
#48 · (Edited)
So who can answer me what a TL/BL roughly costs to prep/ maintain for a 5 race season? For the TL what additional entry fee's need to be paid out to run in their specific class or is it just running a TL with generals?

Probably not going to happen but I have been thinking of selling off some of my projects to fund a new build. Time is very limited as of late with the amount of work that I have been doing and have been contemplating possibly buying something and TL looks to be in the right price range.

#49 ·
So who can answer me what a TL/BL roughly costs to prep/ maintain for a 5 race season? .

prep cost is going to fluctuate widely depending on how seriously you want to win and who does the work.

to give you a very rough idea
http://www.desertrides.com/reference/racing_classes.php

I personally know of a shop that charges $65k to prep a TT. Obviously some do it for much less. I am sure there are plenty that spend much more then that.

I would think that $2500 is not an unreasonable figure to factor in for prep on one of these trucks. all figures do not include crash damage. just regular scheduled maintenance and parts replacement and rebuilding.

#55 ·
What were the changes the T/L owners would have made?
The big request was the move from the 2.2 Ecotec to the 2.4 VVT Ecotec that was recently approved. I read that for this season the TLs with the 2.4 will have to run a restrictor plate, but not next year. They also have made a lot of small changes (gussets and other cage improvements) based on requests from the TL owners.

If you wad the car up can I repair the chassis and other parts myself or do I have to have T/L do it all for me?
I believe TL has to do the repairs in AZ. I know that when Radio John from Mobile Radio wadded up his TL a year or so ago, the repairs had to be performed in AZ (even though John sent his own fabricator to do the work). I heard that TL was working on getting approved shops to do this work for future repairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.