catheter tech?/ stories - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Desert Racing
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49159
catheter tech?/ stories

So the last time I rocked a catheter I was rushed putting it on and had the misfortune of having to get out and fix something at the start. Needless to say the reason I'm starting this thread is I had an issue. LOL the tube between hose and cath pulled out. So what tricks are out there to keep from pissin yourself?

My normal program is to use a small piece of duct tape holding the plastic tube, hose and catheter together then another strip of tape holding the hose to my thigh keeping some slack in the bend from wiener to thigh. More tape holding the end of the hose to the heal of my left leg. Incredibly uncompfortable but worked so far. (didnt get to do this last time)

So how bout some stories. I heard one where driver and co-dawg were wizzing at a pit and new guy trying to save the day dove under the truck tying to figure out where the leak was coming from. He figured it out...lol
Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 19705
One of our part time drivers had his fall off, peed all over himself before he realized what was happening!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87095
i remember the first time i raced KOH we had to use mine at one of the many breakdowns to FIX the "RIG".......SWEAR!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2870
I never wear one in the race car. If I have to go I just let it go. Ocaisionaly i get some on my ankle, but most of it hits the ground...
Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tech Editor

Member # 1656
Taping or tyeing the hose to your ankle is key. I also wear my dirt bike shorts under the fire suit to help hold everything in place.
Air Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 28878
There is a new supplier of cath kits that makes both a better "hoodie" and better tube. I didn't catch what makes the "hoodie" so much better (something to do with the material quality that it doesn't slip) but the tubing is less flexible and can't get pinched off. Finally a cath you can wear with a d-cell.

The only story with a kit I have is from KOH a few years ago. I never got in the car but had a great time convincing my wife it was her duty to get me warmed up to get the "hoodie" on. The other story without a kit is from this past weekend at the MORE race. I drove the second half in the C1. Turns out our starting driver decided before the race started to relieve himself just to get it over with. 200+ miles later I get in to a soggy, nasty ass seat.

Last edited by shoyrtt; 05-24-2011 at 07:34 AM.
shoyrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
CE

Member # 6443
ALL OF THE CATHETERS I HAVE WORN HAVE BEEN JUST A WASTE OF MONEY!!! BUT THEN http://racecatheter.com/ CAME ALONG AND THEY TOOK THE TIME TO ACTUALLY MAKE A GOOD THING BETTER THE HOSE IS NOT SURGICAL TUBING IT A HARDER RUBBER HOSE SO NOT TO KINK WHICH LEADS TO BLOW OFFS, AND THE CODOM ACTUALLY HAS A BETTER GLUE IN IT TO HOLD IT ON THE FIRST TIME. TALK TO SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE USED THEM THEY WILL TELL YOU HOW MUCH BETTER THEY ARE OR JUST GIVE THEM A CALL AND TRY IT THE ONLY THING THAT YOU HAVE TO LOSE IS A WET SEAT!!!
CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 50632
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE View Post
ALL OF THE CATHETERS I HAVE WORN HAVE BEEN JUST A WASTE OF MONEY!!! BUT THEN http://racecatheter.com/ CAME ALONG AND THEY TOOK THE TIME TO ACTUALLY MAKE A GOOD THING BETTER THE HOSE IS NOT SURGICAL TUBING IT A HARDER RUBBER HOSE SO NOT TO KINK WHICH LEADS TO BLOW OFFS, AND THE CODOM ACTUALLY HAS A BETTER GLUE IN IT TO HOLD IT ON THE FIRST TIME. TALK TO SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE USED THEM THEY WILL TELL YOU HOW MUCH BETTER THEY ARE OR JUST GIVE THEM A CALL AND TRY IT THE ONLY THING THAT YOU HAVE TO LOSE IS A WET SEAT!!!
X2

The clear vinyl tube and the way it attatches to the condom are the key. The tube does not pinch and stop flow and they stay on without the need to remove flesh while taking them off.

The only bad thing is you can't use the tube to make a sling shot and kill dinner if you are broken in the desert

wayne
www.alltechmotorsports.com

wayne@alltechmotorsports.com new e-mail address!

Congratulations to Alltech customers
Erik Miller, 2012 KING of the Hammers
Rick Mooneyham 2012 2nd place
John Currie/Gerald Lee 1st place EMC
Derek West for 4 pole positions in 2012
And all our customers who finished or took
the green flag!
ZukIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 41764
I used a race catheter for the first time at SS300. The thicker non-kink tubing is a stress reliever. Even with it taped to my thigh and my ankle once I've got my D-Cell on, I'm in the seat and strapped in with my 5 point you never know how the hose is doing. With the thicker tubing I didn't have to worry about it and I could concentrate on calling out hazards and turns, not trying to piss myself.

I used the generic versions before and I won't be doing it again.

No one is ever gone if they are always remembered.
JasonPayneMemorial

Last edited by bggrnchvy; 05-24-2011 at 08:46 AM.
bggrnchvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11961
The tube is the tube and Jasons tube is the bomb.

As for catheters, I've been using these for the past year and they are by far the most comfortable thing going. At the Baja 1000 I wore it for 24 hours and had zero issues. I won't go back to the condom style, they just plain hurt. You don't even need a fluffer to install, a huge advantage on race morning.

http://www.bioderm.us/index.php?opti...=52&Itemid=168

Edit, I don't use the bag, just put the tube on the end. There is a check valve on top too so the piss drains all the way out the tube quickly so it doesn't seep forever.

Last edited by Bigburlynakedguy; 05-24-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Bigburlynakedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 106808
KOH last year was my first time with the "racecatheter.com" unit. I was very happy with its performance. Pissed a couple times and no problems. I must have done something wrong when removing it because it took me a solid 30min to get it removed. I used the supplied removal stuff, but that sob was stuck. Any ideas to fix that?
[COLOR="Silver"]Advance Adapters[/COLOR], [COLOR="Red"]Aurora [/COLOR], [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"] Griffin [/COLOR],Baja Designs [COLOR="Blue"]Bilstein, CTM,[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Currie[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"] D.J. Safety[/COLOR], Howe, J.E.Reel, [COLOR="Silver"]P.R.P Seats[/COLOR], [COLOR="Red"]Raceline Wheels[/COLOR], [COLOR="Orange"]Reid Racing[/COLOR], [COLOR="Plum"]Royal Purple[/COLOR],[COLOR="Silver"] Ruffstuff, [/COLOR] custom splice, Warn, 12volt guy
Mr.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Member # 1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance
I have worn a lot of catherters but most are not up to the task of a LONG race like the 1000. The hoses are too thin, etc. Racecatherter.com's catherter is much thicker than the others and that shit is like super glue which is AWESOME because if you have to get out to change a flat tire, etc and step on your pee hose, etc it don't get yanked off. My catherter made it all 1,050 miles of iron manning the Baja 1000 and my pants were still dry. I'll take the agony of removing it AFTER the race instead of losing it DURING the race.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 25375
We used Jason's racecathater at the Silver State. I think Brad I lost count how many times we took a leak, best I've ever used. Had a few laughs. Those things stay stuck.. I pulled as hard as I dared on that thing it didn't budge.. READ and Follow the directions.

KOH.. The tubing can be used as a siphon, right Dallas?

Last edited by CHOPS; 05-24-2011 at 11:56 AM.
CHOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPS View Post
KOH.. The tubing can be used as a siphon, right Dallas?
I'm so glad the truck started again.

Overall Winner, 2012&13 KOH EMC. Gettin it done in a stocker!
Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Ride View Post
Taping or tyeing the hose to your ankle is key. I also wear my dirt bike shorts under the fire suit to help hold everything in place.
you know spandex melts right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZukIzzy View Post
Oh and Frequency is for radios
We are all born Arminians. It is grace that turns us into Calvinists
-George Whitefield
mobil1syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49159
I've done the soggy seat thing twice. Once my wiz and once some one elses. Best part is we lost the trans in the pine forest(mexico) in a section that was inaccessable by chase vehicle. I got to marinate in my own piss and the tree sap I took a nap in for 8 hours... LOL That was before I knew about cath kits.

I got the bladder of a 5 year old everyday. beat my kidneys a bit and I gotta piss every 5 minutes.

Are the race catheters only available on the website or does Mckenzies and kar teck have em too?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 104653
Thumbs up

^ x 100 for www.racecatheter.com It worked awesome and stayed put all day... although taking it off was interesting.

They sent me two for the price of one since I was thier first on-line order or something. Its a good thing I had that extra one since on race morning my co-driver dicked up (pun intended ) putting his on.

Become a fan on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
www.BroadSwordRacing.com

2013 Ultra4 Mod-Class Build by Dirt-Fab Racing
BroadSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburlynakedguy View Post
The tube is the tube and Jasons tube is the bomb.

As for catheters, I've been using these for the past year and they are by far the most comfortable thing going. At the Baja 1000 I wore it for 24 hours and had zero issues. I won't go back to the condom style, they just plain hurt. You don't even need a fluffer to install, a huge advantage on race morning.

http://www.bioderm.us/index.php?opti...=52&Itemid=168

Edit, I don't use the bag, just put the tube on the end. There is a check valve on top too so the piss drains all the way out the tube quickly so it doesn't seep forever.
Where do you get these from?

Experience is what you get 30 seconds after you need it

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Where do you get these from?
Call the number on Hartman's link. They will send you free samples.
shoyrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9868
WOW...thanks for all the props. Our race catheters were created because of all the campfire stories and frustrations.
Our kit solves the problems previously encountered with external catheters and here is why...
-larger area of adhesive
-no hard plastic adapter between hose and catheter (causes kink)
-drain hose that will bend but resists kinking and will not collapse under seatblet.
-kit comes with 3m medical tape to tape on inside of thigh and around ankle
-kit comes with adhesive remover for catheter and tape
We don't just sell a catheter, it is a complete kit.
The only complaint we have had is some people have had some trouble getting the catheter off. Although adhesive bonds to different peoples skin types, here are a few suggestions.
Make sure you are "cleaned" up. Hair caught in the catheter can be painful upon removal. We suggest rolling the catheter off, however most people are telling me that they just grab both sides and yank and get the job done quickly. This might work for most, but we don't suggest anything that is painful. Its like pulling off anything with adhesive, such as a band-aid, sometimes quicker is better. HOWEVER, we completely understand the "equipment" which you pulling it off of is very sensitive...that is the main reason for the adhesive remover. You might want to take some time during removal.
Like Lance mentioned above, it might take a little longer to get it off at the end of the race, but that is better than coming off during the race.
They have been tested for a year before coming on the market.
jbcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Send a message via AIM to DOUG38S
I've never had an issue with pissing myself over all the years racing until this past RCQ. After lap 3 waiting for my turn to winch I said f it and let it fly. I was already muddy and wet from racing so it wasnt that bad but man it felt warm.
BIGELOW MOTORSPORTS #4413
DOUG38S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkBug View Post
I'm so glad the truck started again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCity View Post
I never wear one in the race car. If I have to go I just let it go. Ocaisionaly i get some on my ankle, but most of it hits the ground...

Buy Jason's stuff.
I've tired different medical items, tape and adhesives, none worked as good.
welndmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 84132
If catheters are a big concern for you, you may need to try a smaller size. I've always run whatever the fawk PCI sells and have never had anything resembling an issue personally...one of those things I try to not put too much thought into. .02
www.geiserbros.com
www.campbellent.com
AEI Motorsports
howyadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 10903
catheter tech... :shudder: I understand now why I never grew up to be a race driver.

'91 K5 454, 4spd, Doubler, J76/70HD, 5.86's & 43's
Build Pics & Build Thread

happy..happy..happy....
nvrenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I've done the soggy seat thing twice. Once my wiz and once some one elses. Best part is we lost the trans in the pine forest(mexico) in a section that was inaccessable by chase vehicle. I got to marinate in my own piss and the tree sap I took a nap in for 8 hours... LOL That was before I knew about cath kits.

I got the bladder of a 5 year old everyday. beat my kidneys a bit and I gotta piss every 5 minutes.

Are the race catheters only available on the website or does Mckenzies and kar teck have em too?
We are proud to announce that McKenzies is carrying our product. They have a vendor booth set-up at almost every off-road venue.
http://www.mckenzies.com/
jbcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote