Floor Shifter Install - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hard Corps

Member # 116370
Floor Shifter Install

I did some searching and unfortunately RamV's pics are not popping up anymore for his Art Carr shifter. I'm trying to see how everyone else has modified their floor shifters and which unit is the best buy. Right now the truck is my daily driver and I can't risk having her down for days trying to figure something out.

Basically I am installing long arms on my 98 3/4 ton with only 2.5" suspension lift and 2" body. The forward body mounts are in the way of the upper control arms and I'm wanting to build new body mounts so that I can have enough clearance during articulation. Unfortunately the auto shifter linkage is on the driver's side in a spot where I have to move it before I can do anything with the body mount. Right now it's a 360 V8 w/ a standard 46RE with a regular valve body, but at some point it will have a V10 w/ a 727 and a reverse valve body. I know I can't reuse anything I buy on a reverse valve body later, but I'd like something of high enough quality that I can put it on my other 98 Ram later on. Unless there is a model where you can swap out gates.

Anyone have any pics of how they installed a cable floor shifter and if/how they made or modified the brackets to get it to hook up to a 46/47 style trans?

I plan to build a custom console as I've already pulled the lower portion of the center seat for clearance. I kept the upper console for my arm and change. It doesn't have to be a truck style shifter with a long lever, I can build the console to match the height. Just want something with good park protection gates and something that I don't have to hassle with trying to flip into reverse....but still safe to drive on the road.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Ooh Rah!
USMC 2003-2009

Last edited by swirvin21; 09-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.
swirvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17024
Send a message via AIM to Trailduster79
I am currently using a B&M Truck Megashifter.

I got mine used about 10 years ago or so, and it has worked great.

When I do a rebuild of my truck, I want to go to an art-carr, but not sure I will be able to swing the coin.

Mine is just moutned straight to the floor with no modifications to the shifter, and it is hooked to a 727, so I can't help you there.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Check around, a lot of shifters will allow you to run forward or reverse gates with just a few adjustments and a new gear indicator. I think my Hurst V-Matic 2 was like this.

I personally would not put a B&M shifter on my lawn mower. They rattle and wear out beyond the ability to adjust them to keep them tight and you end up with the infamous "B&M jiggle shift". Yes, they do work but they are crap compared to better shifters offered by Turbo Action, Art Carr and even Hurst.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
I personally would not put a B&M shifter on my lawn mower. They rattle and wear out beyond the ability to adjust them to keep them tight and you end up with the infamous "B&M jiggle shift". Yes, they do work but they are crap compared to better shifters offered by Turbo Action, Art Carr and even Hurst.
Mine has definitely developed the "jiggle shift". That is why I am going to replace it.

It still works better than the factory column shifter though!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hard Corps

Member # 116370
More than anything I just wanted to make sure I got something with a quality cable that won't kink, bind or have any issues with heat, etc. I want something that I can feel it going in and out of gear and I've heard some of them are very sloppy.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Ooh Rah!
USMC 2003-2009
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 41063
I can only tell you about the few that I've used, many for street racing years ago like the Quarter Stick that probably wouldn't work well in a truck. The V-Matic 2 I had did very well in my old Ramcharger. It was solid as a rock in the ratchet gate you could hit it as hard as you wanted and it would only go up one gear. It was a dual gate so it had another mode that would let it slip between 1st and Neutral with just a detent between the gears. Reverse was locked out by a lift release as well as Park. The only problem I had with the Hurst Morse cables was getting one too close to the headers on my convertible and melting it. Got a replacement and routed it better and had no more problems. The T handle on the V-Matic 2 was comfortable but it would be hotter than hell in the sun and colder than a witches tit in the winter, lol.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hard Corps

Member # 116370
well, for the price I can get an Art Carr...I think the flush mount would work pretty well for a custom center console. Think the 727 units would work on the 47RE without having to make a custom linkage?

USMC 2003-2009
Old 09-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17024
for the money I would go with an art-carr.

Couple of my buddies had them and they were awesome.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hard Corps

Member # 116370
I'm looking at the flush mount option

Bajabomber did a write-up on Pavementsucks awhile back, but I'm not wanting to make it as tall as his: http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/t...hifter-UPDATED

This is his final version before he pulled it and sold the truck.

His write-up did a pretty good job of showing the linkage setup, just lacking where and how he mounted the cable to the overdrive housing. I'll figure that out as I go, but seeing that there isn't any major linkage fabrication is nice.

These are Bronco consoles, but they seem to be more the style I plan to do. This will go in my trail rig until I pull the dash and do something from scratch, then it will get transferred into my other 98 Ram that's my tow rig, so I want it to be more street-friendly for now.

USMC 2003-2009