Pirate 4x4 banner

Hacksters Crew Cab first gen Cummins

232K views 353 replies 82 participants last post by  Adamants 
#1 ·
So my tow rig for the last three years has been a 1993 w250 that has racked up 249,000 miles on it. It has been hands downt the most dependable, hadest working truck I have ever owned by a long shot....even better than the 07 cummins I bought off the lot brand new in late 06.

Truck is all turned up with timing bump, denny t fuel pin wh1c with 14 cm housing, leveling kit and 35's with 2" dom tube bumpers. Its a standard cab long bed and I love it.

Here is the dirty old girl in all her glory, doing what she usually does, towing the car trailer around with some project on the trailer.

Well, have sold off a few cool cars in the past few months in order to build the rig that I have wanted for the last few years. A crew cab short bed cummins 5 speed with some one tons under it.

So the search began for the right truck......well more like trucks right? After lots of searching I found a 1993 extra cab long bed w250 with a cummins and a 5 speed 4 wheel drive. The truck had was in an accident but I really was not interested in much of the body. Not to mention I got it for a good price. So I loaded up the trailer and headed up into the sticks to pick it up.

Two first gens...happy times.

Not much to look at but good running gear with pod's denny t fuel pin kdp fixed and a rebuit getrag.

So this will be the donor drivetrain...

I brought it home on Friday afternon and could not get the tools out fast enough.

Had a little help from a friend but we made pretty quik work, the cab was entirely stripped of everything, harness was all unplugged and removed in one piece, it was in great shape with just a little bit of hackery to clean up but nothing too bad.

Cut out a bunch of the firewall so that I would hopefully be able to weld in the right opening for the heater box and the firewall harness plug.

See less See more
#60 ·
You could try posting up in the Wanted section here and over on RamchargerCentral.com. The Mopar part number for a '92 fan shroud is 52004276 and is unique to the intercooled Cummins models. You may also check on some of the diesel forums.

#61 ·
Really digging this truck. The only problem I have with it (Besides it not being mine lol) is that grille. I never did like the 79-80 hood/ grille with round headlights, the Quad rectangles are somewhat better, but that truck would be pure sex with a 78-79 grille and bird bath hood on it. I like the curvy lines of the truck they remind me of a 71 Road Runner, and the square hood looks out of place until the 81 redesign made everything "Blockier".

#62 ·
I kind of agree with Murph. I prefer the bird bath hood, only I like this grill better than the one with the giant turn signals. But to change the hood it would probably mean painting the whole cab to make it match, and you may like the hood you have anyway :D
Travis..

#63 ·
Someone show me this hood that you are speaking of, I might like it better!!

The plan is to repaint the cab and frontend as well in the long run so its certainly not out of the question.

I know I gotta shoot the doors as these terrible mirrors gotta go.

Sean

#65 ·
x2 the look of that truck is perfrect i love the no frill nonsensse look of it...glad you got it running, any plans of a big turbo, camplate and 14mm head/rotor?:grinpimp:

i kick myself for trading my 93 for the 24valve i have now esp sense i have come across 2 crew cabs for a decent price

#70 ·
I dig those hoods but I dont know if it would clear the big old cummins radiator. Has anyone ever done it with the early hood?

So, I had to spend most of the weekend with the family but I did manage to get the drivers inner fender buttoned up, cleaned up the wiring on that fenderwell, mounted the cruise control actuator, got the radiator installed with new hoses, battery is mounted down for good, bolted the body down, installed the hood release cable and the cowl and hood, aligned the hood, adjusted the latch and got rid of the dually bed, the gantry and all my other scrap metal.

Here is what the engine bay turned out like for the most part, this is before the hood and cowl and I still need to build an intake for it.

Then got it all loaded up on the trailer to take it to the frame shop tomorrow. I hope that he can fix what I have going on with the frontend or I am kinda screwed. =)

Tires landed on shore last week so those should be here this week, wheels are on order and I need to get some metal to get going on sliders, bumper and the bed.

Sean

#102 ·
I dig those hoods but I dont know if it would clear the big old cummins radiator. Has anyone ever done it with the early hood?

Sean
I'm kind of late to the party but for some reason or other when I cobbled my '72 crew cummins together I set the rad down lower. I used some steel plates bolted to the underside of the core support with some DOM spacers to hold it. Worked fine, could've been thought out better. The rad sat right on the front crossmember IIRC. Who knows, it has been a while.

1972 Crew Cab Nov 2011 pictures by papecat - Photobucket

#72 ·
i started reading this thread and kept thinking i reognized that blue truck. im fairly certain i saw the wreck it was in.
hwy 26 just after the banks turn off. there was a blue ex-cab cummins in the back of a 2wd chevy (literally).

anyways, sweet truck. good work too. i always wanted to do this, but put the 93' front on it.

#75 ·
I'll sell it when I am done with it. I dont really tend to keep stuff too long as I really like to build things. This one may be an exception, but I doubt it. :)

Look what showed up today =)

Gotta get the bed drawn up this weekend and get some steel ordered for the bed, bumper and sliders and next week should start on the fun fabrication.

Sean

#82 ·
Whats up Seth? I saw the tracker on CL a while back. Did you sell it or you still up for some winter wheeling?

Thanks too, been a fun build so far. Eric should have the frame buttoned up early this week and I can get on with the rest of the build hopefully.

I have been looking for an early short bed for at least the last 6 weeks and nothing. We were at the local pick and pull this weekend buying some volvo parts for a friends car that caught on fire, we walked through the truck section and ill be damned....there was a really straight tan and brown (not the same as the crew cab) short bed with lights and tailgate.

Looks like I am going to have to go back down and get it. It is $200.00 and even if I did not use it, it would be great to have for the build or the future.

Anyone think I am crazy for wanting to put a regular 6' bed on it over a flatbed?

Sean