98 dodge cummins power steering question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Member # 61284
Posts: 195
98 dodge cummins power steering question

Guys im working on a new truck project similar to steven watsons 98 chevy truck at off road designs. My question is prior to tearing the truck down i took it wheeling and got stuck in a ditch and tried to push the truck over to the left by prying the right front tire against a rock. I got the truck out but lost power steering. I still have vaccum and brakes work good. I can manually steer it but thats it. A pirate member thought it might be the coupler (lovejoy) between the vaccum and ps pump. I took it apart and it was steel ( not plastic as he thought) and in good shape. Could i have blown a internal seal on the ps pump when i turned the wheel into the rock? Any insight id appriciate its got me stumped.
McMahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member # 229784
Location: Miami OK
Posts: 28
If the truck has hydro-boost (it should) and the brakes still work good, then the pump is good and the gear box is bad.
trouble racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God
 
LOGANSTANFORTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Member # 140580
Location: LAKELAND FL/WISHING I WAS IN IRAQ...
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble racing View Post
If the truck has hydro-boost (it should) and the brakes still work good, then the pump is good and the gear box is bad.
That truck doesn't have hydroboost jackass. It has a vacuum pump and a regular master cylinder...
__________________
1996 DODGE 2500, 4X4, CUMMINS, 370'S, 5GSK, MACK PLUG, STUDS, SFI FLEX PLATE, DERALE DEEP PAN, EMS HUB KIT WITH 35 SPLINE INNER AND OUTTER MOSER AXLES, WARN GOLD LOCK-OUTS, 3 IN. LEVELING KIT, DUAL EDELBROCK REMOTE RESERVOIR SHOCKS, ROUGH COUNTRY STEERING STABILIZER, STEERING BOX BRACE.
LOGANSTANFORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member # 229784
Location: Miami OK
Posts: 28
ok ok i was thinking dodge not gm, possibly sheared the splines on shaft to hub inside the pump.
trouble racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Member # 153523
Location: Palmyra, Nebraska
Posts: 51
If it's "factory", it would have hydroboost.
Hydroboost was first standardized in the 1997 model year.

Of course, I know nothing on THIS particular truck, mods, etc.

Mark.
__________________
Mental Retardation:
Real stupidity, without all the acting!!!
Mark Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God
 
LOGANSTANFORTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Member # 140580
Location: LAKELAND FL/WISHING I WAS IN IRAQ...
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
If it's "factory", it would have hydroboost.
Hydroboost was first standardized in the 1997 model year.

Of course, I know nothing on THIS particular truck, mods, etc.

Mark.
I should of been more clear, the Cummins doesen't have a setup for hydroboost, the chevy probably does...
__________________
1996 DODGE 2500, 4X4, CUMMINS, 370'S, 5GSK, MACK PLUG, STUDS, SFI FLEX PLATE, DERALE DEEP PAN, EMS HUB KIT WITH 35 SPLINE INNER AND OUTTER MOSER AXLES, WARN GOLD LOCK-OUTS, 3 IN. LEVELING KIT, DUAL EDELBROCK REMOTE RESERVOIR SHOCKS, ROUGH COUNTRY STEERING STABILIZER, STEERING BOX BRACE.
LOGANSTANFORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member # 76418
Location: Finland
Posts: 50
Send a message via MSN to 4x4_76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH View Post
I should of been more clear, the Cummins doesen't have a setup for hydroboost, the chevy probably does...
It does, according to dodgeram.org it was available with diesel engine from 96 to 01.
4x4_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Member # 61284
Posts: 195
The truck specs;

1998 Dodge slt standard cab, 12 valve cummins, 5 spd, towing package
134,000 miles , stock saginaw pump and box. 38" tires, extra 700 lbs over stock weight from winch and bumper

I turned the steering wheel to the right to push the truck over so I could drive out of a ditch I had got stuck in really no big deal. I had done it in the jeep alot in the past, so I didnt think nothing bout it in the truck. It was working and the pump wasnt overheated, all of a suden I just lost the hydraulic assist no noise nothing just manual steering from there on. I did keep my vaccum assisted brakes. I took the pump off and the coupling wasnt sheared. I was planning on upgrading the pump and box and adding a ram to it or switching the box out and upgrading it to a delphi. Id just like to know if someone might know what happened inside the pump for future referrence in case someone else here had the same problem later on. I think the ps box is fine but could be wrong. Thanks Mac

Last edited by McMahan; 12-27-2012 at 01:47 AM.
McMahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Member # 153523
Location: Palmyra, Nebraska
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahan View Post
The truck specs;

1998 Dodge slt standard cab, 12 valve cummins, 5 spd, towing package
134,000 miles , stock saginaw pump and box. 38" tires, extra 700 lbs over stock weight from winch and bumper

I turned the steering wheel to the right to push the truck over so I could drive out of a ditch I had got stuck in really no big deal. I had done it in the jeep alot in the past, so I didnt think nothing bout it in the truck. It was working and the pump wasnt overheated, all of a suden I just lost the hydraulic assist no noise nothing just manual steering from there on. I did keep my vaccum assisted brakes. I took the pump off and the coupling wasnt sheared. I was planning on upgrading the pump and box and adding a ram to it or switching the box out and upgrading it to a delphi. Id just like to know if someone might know what happened inside the pump for future referrence in case someone else here had the same problem later on. I think the ps box is fine but could be wrong. Thanks Mac
Mac,
While we appreciate the information, you never mentioned the type of brake booster. If it's hydroboost (it should be on a 1998), and it works correctly, then it's not the pump causing the issue.

Mark.
__________________
Mental Retardation:
Real stupidity, without all the acting!!!
Mark Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member # 76418
Location: Finland
Posts: 50
Send a message via MSN to 4x4_76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Mac,
While we appreciate the information, you never mentioned the type of brake booster. If it's hydroboost (it should be on a 1998), and it works correctly, then it's not the pump causing the issue.

Mark.
He did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahan View Post
I did keep my vaccum assisted brakes.
I've never tested a PS pump, but it might be possible to test pressure by removing pressure hose from the box and screw gauge to the hose. Then start the engine and see what the gauge reads.
4x4_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Member # 153523
Location: Palmyra, Nebraska
Posts: 51
Damn, the ONE line in a bunch of text that I was looking for and I missed it!
Apologies all around on this!

Mac, I'd certainly look towards the power steering box, they seem to go bad at the simplest bump in the road on these 2nd gens.
So far I've had 2 with internal looseness with only 150,000 miles on them.

Mark.
__________________
Mental Retardation:
Real stupidity, without all the acting!!!
Mark Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Member # 61284
Posts: 195
Ive never had a box go bad on me but theres always the posibility. Thanks for the replys so far guys. So I could lose a box while in operation without blowing any lines or seals and it jus default to manual steering for safety without leaking a drop of fluid? Its kinda scary thinking bout some of the loads ive hauled with the truck over the years there would be no way i could manually steer it thru curves with that kinda weight ya know! On The flip side it could be the pump or likely not mark whats the indication to go to the box from how you see it? I appriciate your help and all the guys help here never had anything but good things from this forum. This information will help me and guys down the road too. Is there a seal that blows or how does this work in depth ive never hadto look at the steering like i am now. Im fixing to pay jus as much attention to this as I have axles, transmissions, t-cases, motor and so on. Thanks again for as in depth as we can get here.
McMahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Member # 153523
Location: Palmyra, Nebraska
Posts: 51
If it were me and I wanted to know the possible issues you could run into and how to fix it, I'd try contacting the member here that goes by "montezuma".

He rebuilds power steering parts and would have way more knowledge than I would.

Mark.
__________________
Mental Retardation:
Real stupidity, without all the acting!!!
Mark Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member # 229784
Location: Miami OK
Posts: 28
Possibly sheared the splines on shaft to hub inside the pump. I have seen the shafts break too.
trouble racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.