things to check on 86 2500 deisel - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2001, 04:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 800
things to check on 96 2500 deisel

I'm looking at buying the truck, it has a five speed and is four wheel drive. is there anything to look out for on these? is a slight wandering feeling on off camber roads normal or is the front end worn? the truck has 150000klicks on it already but is in well cared for condition.
also it has blocks in the rear, is that a factory thing or has someone added them? if they are factory has anyone tried removing them for a level stance instead of the stock tail high setup? I plan to run airbags for when i am loaded so I'm not worried about leveling it under a load.

Last edited by mytzlflick; 11-09-2001 at 02:12 PM.
mytzlflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 05:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2743
1986?

I thought the Cummins started in 89? Do you mean 96?
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2001, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 800
uhh yeah thats what I meant, sorry never had a vehicle didn't start with an 8 before
Old 11-09-2001, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
yeah, it needs to be alligned. Check The TDR for the specs, they have the proper ones, while the stock allignment specs are alittle off, and cause alittle bit of wandering. Those blocks are stock. Take them off and you will be 3.5" lower in the rear. I dunno what else to tell ya, but if it is really nice go for it.. just remember than in the 6 months I have owned my 96 ram 1500 I have had to put in a new transmission and transfer case.
GRMhick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5946
The engine should be good. I got rid of my 93 cummins when it hit 350,000 and it was still going strong, every thing else was worn out .

I would have the valves adjusted, or ask them if they have had it done. They need to be checked about every 100,000 or so. Other than that no worries.

Hayraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4406
2500 4x4s have 4 3/4" rear blocks (stupid, stupid, stupid Dodge). Check the track bar, they go bad a lot. Also check ball joints and the front end in general. And get a TDR membership (35/year), www.tdr1.com. Then call TST and get a #10 plate.

Some guys put in shorter block to level the truck out. I did the opposite and put a 2 1/2" coil spacer in the front to level it out.

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , beer in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW, what a ride."
pcorssmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 800
hey pw, what tranny t-case do you have? I'm assuming that mine would be equipped with the heaviest duty t-case they could find to survive the diesel, I locked it in lowrange and stood on the brakes at idle and nothing complained so I think the 4wd is good.
I'm thinking shorter blocks is a good idea, the rear end hops a bit when you let out the clutch and I'm pretty sure its the springs wrapping, can you do a shackle reversal or other simple lift in the back of those to get rid of the blocks totally?
I think the upper on the track bar is probably at fault, if I wiggle the steering wheel I can see the truck moving a bit side to side without the wheels turning. anyone have an idea what the track bars are worth?
Old 11-10-2001, 07:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4406
The '94+ come with either the 241 LD or the 241 HD. Both are available.
The valve adjustment interval is much more frequent (20,000 maybe), the interval on the 24 valve is 100,000. Fairly easy job with a feeler gauge.
As for the blocks, yes the axle wrap sucks (even worse when you put in a brass clutch). I plan to put in some type of traction bar when I get the chance. Don't know anyone thats done a shackle flip.

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , beer in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW, what a ride."
pcorssmit is offline   Reply With Quote