Help with steering setup on my 94 cummins - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 180520
Send a message via AIM to Chevy355Mark
Help with steering setup on my 94 cummins

Does anybody build crossover steering for these trucks themselves or does everyone just use thuren fabrication kits?

the reason i ask is because I really cant find any information on these trucks as far as what options i have. I built a crossover steering setup for this truck a year or 2 ago but Im really not happy with the tie rod setup. the problem is that the tie rod cant be strait or it would hit the diff cover, no way around it. so what i did is cut the ends of my tie rod on a slight angle and put the bungs in on an angle, this way the rod ends come out at about a 30 degree angle. this allows the tie rod to clear the diff cover but now i have to unbolt it to do the alignment on it which sucks.

right now im using 3/4" hiems and 1.25" dom tubing which i feel is too wimpy for a diesel pickup. I want to go up to maybe 1-3/4" .250 wall dom and use 7/8" rod ends but i want the tie rod to be strait, i dont want to build it the same way i did last time because i feel like its kind of a hack way to go about it. I was thinking about cutting the diff cover and welding a half peice of pipe in to make a clearance for the the tie rod but i dont know how much room i have before im into the ring gear, probably not enough. when pulling a tape measure from the center of the bolt on one knuckle to the other with the wheel locked out the tape measure touches the diff. so the center line between the tie rod end holes on the knuckles is about even with the front diff cover when fully turned.

I cant use offset tie rod ends because with my knuckles I have no choice but to put the drag link on one side of the knuckle and the tie rod on the other, which can only be done with heims.

so the main question is this, who out here has successfully built a nice steering setup for one of these trucks and how do you do it? any aftermarket knuckle options? does anybody make an offset heim joint? maybe go with a T setup rather then crossover?

any ideas at all would be appreciated. Im just looking for some input.
Chevy355Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
D45

Member # 102974
Bullet Proof Steering is what I'm running
'04 QC/LB, 4WD, 305/555 HO CTD, 37x13.50 Toyo MTs on BMF Sota 8, 6" Lift, MBRP 5", IceBox Intake, Air Dog 150, ATS Pulse Flow Manifold, BD Special Turbo, SMARTY SR POD, ARP Studs, T&C WILD Fuel Rail, T&C CPRV, II Dragon Fire 85% CP3, II 100HP Nozzles, Built 48RE, Bullet Proof Steering
D45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 172501
Quote:
Originally Posted by D45 View Post
Bullet Proof Steering is what I'm running
I hear great things about Bullet Proof.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 67935
not much help but my 98 cab and chassis steering is pretty good
Old 04-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
TABZONE.COM

Member # 122236
Take a look at this picture of what we sell for these trucks and here is the link to it
Attached Images

www.tabzone.com www.dtprofab.com
LASER DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 172501
the dodge upgraded steering system (stock) with a drop pitman works well too.
go to Mopar wholesale

if you google it you can find some good information on the parts and what you need to do
Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 189193
Do you use the truck off road or for towing? I updated my steering linkage to a t stle set up with all moog parts last Nov. I'm pretty sure this is the list of part numbers, but ill double check my part receipts tomorrow to be sure. Also these parts are all bolt on no fuss no muss and you can still use a steering stabilizer.
269-6096 drag link end
269-3208 left outer tie rod end
269-6095 right outer tie rod end
269-1201 tie rod adjuster sleeve
269-1123 rod end
269-3179 right inner tie rod
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
TABZONE.COM

Member # 122236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_petey View Post
the dodge upgraded steering system (stock) with a drop pitman works well too.
go to Mopar wholesale

if you google it you can find some good information on the parts and what you need to do
The upgraded Heavy Duty Steering system from Mopar for the Gen 4 trucks doesn't work on the 97 and older trucks the tapers don't match and the length is wrong.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 180520
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASER DAVE View Post
The upgraded Heavy Duty Steering system from Mopar for the Gen 4 trucks doesn't work on the 97 and older trucks the tapers don't match and the length is wrong.
do you guys sell just that offset rod end thats used on the driver side of your kit?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 140580
I hate bullet proofs page, makes me want to punch babies...

I am going to be ordering the full Thuren front end kit soon. Full heimed steering, trac bar, and steering stabilizer. Then I'm having a friend build me some double adjustable aluminum 4 link bars to replace the POS factory ones. Ialso got to get a splined sway bar measured up and ordered...
1996 DODGE 2500, 4X4, CUMMINS, 370'S, 5GSK, MACK PLUG, STUDS, SFI FLEX PLATE, DERALE DEEP PAN, EMS HUB KIT WITH 35 SPLINE INNER AND OUTTER MOSER AXLES, WARN GOLD LOCK-OUTS, 3 IN. LEVELING KIT, DUAL EDELBROCK REMOTE RESERVOIR SHOCKS, ROUGH COUNTRY STEERING STABILIZER, STEERING BOX BRACE.
LOGANSTANFORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 33442
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH View Post
I hate bullet proofs page, makes me want to punch babies...

I am going to be ordering the full Thuren front end kit soon. Full heimed steering, trac bar, and steering stabilizer. Then I'm having a friend build me some double adjustable aluminum 4 link bars to replace the POS factory ones. Ialso got to get a splined sway bar measured up and ordered...
Hey Logan, keep an eye on the DOR forum. Since we talked last, I moved forward with the torsion sway bar... got one sitting here that I'm doing some testing on to make sure the shaft size is correct for the truck.

Last I heard (not from Don but from a friend of his), Thuren is not really making the steering kits very much. It's about a six month wait time. I know his dealers just send those sales to Thuren directly because of the amount of time it takes to get one. He used to make a ton of them when he first started, but what his friend said is that now he is spending so much time on shocks and a few other parts, that he doesn't have much time for the other stuff. He's still a one-man army.

Laser Dave is right about the 08.5 upgrade - it only works on 2000 and up trucks. Dave's steering setup for 94 to 99 trucks is badass.

Bulletproof, Thuren, Ballistic, Ruff Stuff, etc all require you drill out the knuckles and pitman arm. So just be aware of that.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 140580
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgaston View Post
Hey Logan, keep an eye on the DOR forum. Since we talked last, I moved forward with the torsion sway bar... got one sitting here that I'm doing some testing on to make sure the shaft size is correct for the truck.

Last I heard (not from Don but from a friend of his), Thuren is not really making the steering kits very much. It's about a six month wait time. I know his dealers just send those sales to Thuren directly because of the amount of time it takes to get one. He used to make a ton of them when he first started, but what his friend said is that now he is spending so much time on shocks and a few other parts, that he doesn't have much time for the other stuff. He's still a one-man army.

Laser Dave is right about the 08.5 upgrade - it only works on 2000 and up trucks. Dave's steering setup for 94 to 99 trucks is badass.

Bulletproof, Thuren, Ballistic, Ruff Stuff, etc all require you drill out the knuckles and pitman arm. So just be aware of that.
Keep me informed about the swaybar.

I was actually worrying about that cause I noticed alot of his stuff is unavailable on the site or being redesigned...

Drilling them out dosent bother me cause I will own this truck til I'm dead after all the money I'm putting into it...
1996 DODGE 2500, 4X4, CUMMINS, 370'S, 5GSK, MACK PLUG, STUDS, SFI FLEX PLATE, DERALE DEEP PAN, EMS HUB KIT WITH 35 SPLINE INNER AND OUTTER MOSER AXLES, WARN GOLD LOCK-OUTS, 3 IN. LEVELING KIT, DUAL EDELBROCK REMOTE RESERVOIR SHOCKS, ROUGH COUNTRY STEERING STABILIZER, STEERING BOX BRACE.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 140580
Dave I sent you a message about your rear swing arm kit and front radius arm kits...

Id love to use the rear swing arms on my 96 I'm converting to a dually along with your front radius arms...

Last edited by LOGANSTANFORTH; 04-24-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 180520
thanks for stealing the thread guys. still interested in finding out if laser dave offers just that offset joint used on the driver side of the kit he offers.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
TABZONE.COM

Member # 122236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy355Mark View Post
thanks for stealing the thread guys. still interested in finding out if laser dave offers just that offset joint used on the driver side of the kit he offers.
Yes we could offer it for sale...keep in mind that I am threading those parts 1-1/4"-12 thread........also it has a COM16T bearing in it. I will put a price together for it and let you guys know.
Thanks
DT

Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 180520
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASER DAVE View Post
Yes we could offer it for sale...keep in mind that I am threading those parts 1-1/4"-12 thread........also it has a COM16T bearing in it. I will put a price together for it and let you guys know.
Thanks
DT
ok. thanks alot