Which tranny to use? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2003, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 14731
Which tranny to use?

I am thinking about swapping a 5.9L Magnum into my YJ, but cant decide what tranny to use. I want to stay with a 5-speed.

So I guess my choices are:
AX-15 - my current tranny behind the 4.0L I6 (I like my tranny, but am worried it wont last long)

NV3500 HD - seems to have a higher torque rating than a standard NV3500 and much more than the AX-15 and should be able to handle the power out of the 5.9L. This one is aluminum casing and weighs about the same as my AX-15. But it only has a 3.? first gear ratio.

NV4500 - low 5.? first gear but twice as heavy. Seems to be a great tranny.

A couple of things I dont know are approximate dimensions of the NV 3500/4500. I am not sure if they are comparable in size, or if the 3500 is smaller.

I am also curious about smooth shifting in either of these. I realize they are truck trannies and they cant shift any worse than my jeep tranny, but I am curious if either one has significant shifting problems.

Also, I looked but cannot find what tranny comes behind the 5.9L. I found the New Venture website and they told which tranny was behind everything from the 3.6L to the Hemi to the 8.0L, but did not mention the 5.9.

Thanks a bunch
Road Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
3.9 5.2 and 5.9 all use the same bell housing. dodge didnt put the 3550 behind the 360, probabally for strength reasons, but it may hold up in a jeep. the 3550 will shift like an ax 15 and the like. The nv4500 will be a harder tranny to shift (but i have not driven one myself). Another option is the older (and shorter) np435 out of a pre-93 dodge. it will handle the torque and any load you want, plus it has a 6.5:1 first gear ratio. But it will be harder to shift (I find that the stronger the manual tranny, the harder, and longer the shifts are).

Garrett
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links